Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Rollik 607

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sad news. Yesterday I cracked my rollik 607 frame. I was doing a 5.5-6 foot drop to rock landing in Bend, OR. It was a big feature. I landed slightly past the sweet spot (not quite a huck to flat, but not a super smooth landing either), bottomed out the rear shock, and it ended up cracking the frame at the seat tube, right below the upper link. The crack allowed the rear tire to contact the seat tube, causing the bike to stop dead in its tracks. It pitched me over the bars, but I was able to tuck and roll and only walk away with a few bruises. It was a big drop, and while it wasn't a huck to flat, it was still a big impact and would have gently bottomed out most bikes. I've done bigger drops on other bikes before, but this WAS a hard landing. It was enough to almost bottom out my 160mm fork.

My carbon wheels were 100% fine and i didn't ruin anything else. I'm theorizing, but I think the suspension design, with the linear/regressive last bit of travel may allow bottom outs to be harsher than some other suspension designs. This design may necessitate running a larger volume spacer than I'm used to.

Prior to this (it's 2 months old), there weren't any sign of cracking, no weird noises, and no weird behavior (ive been very diligent about inspecting it). I haven't crashed this bike ever (including this drop) and I've never ditched the bike or bailed out and sent the bike flying. I've hit about 15 4-5 foot drops, and several 10+ foot gap jumps on this bike with zero issues. This g-out was the only damage to the bike I've had.

I was running 110% of my weight (200psi), with the stock volume spacer. I'm running a 2.5 wt rear tire on a 36mm rim (not that the tire matters, but it didn't contact the seat tube till after the crack). I wonder if running a larger volume spacer would have prevented this. In 20 years of riding, I've never tacoed a wheel, broke a frame, trashed a rim, snapped a derailleur, or broken any other major component. I'm pretty easy on gear, but lately I've been pushing the size of the obstacles I hit, and this one must have been the perfect storm between not enough volume reducers and too flat of a landing. This was the first time I've felt the rear shock bottom out. Before this, I'd use all the travel from time to time, but never feelt a hard stop. Most rides I end up using all but the last 3mm of stroke. After this landing, the ring was at the very end of the shaft. I'm not sure if I felt a hard bottom out with the shock, or if I felt the tire hitting the seat tube hard after it snapped.

Spot has been amazing to work with, and they'll be sending me a replacement front triangle, along with a new upper link design that is meant to reduce stress on the seat tube in the event of a hard landing like this.

I don't feel like most people will ever stress their bikes to this level, and I don't feel like people need to worry about their frames, but its worth mentioning in this thread.

For those out there who are hitting big gaps and drops, make sure your rear shock is totally dialed (especially the last bit of travel) and take it easy if you might have a really harsh landing

I accept responsibility for not dialing in my rear shock perfectly, and for hitting big features on this bike. I've never had a frame design that didn't get super progressive at the end of its stroke, and I've never had to add volume spacers before either. This failure may have been 100% user error on my part, and it may have been 100% preventable by running more volume reducers. I don't know exactly what caused it, or what would have prevented it.

All in all, I'm surprised it cracked, but it was a hard landing. I'm really impressed with how spot is handling the replacement. They're great guys and their first priority was my safety. I'll report back on the new upper link design once I've got some time on my new frame. I'm glad to see them taking a proactive approach to improving their frame design for people like me, and I'm glad to be back on my Rollik soon. This bike is still my favorite bike I've ridden. I'm hopeful that the new upper link will allow me to continue going big on the bike without fear of ruining anything.

I wish mtbr were easier to add pics from my phone. I'll edit this post to include pictures of the drop and damage shortly.

I look forward to trying out the new upper link and continuing to ride my rollik on some of the best technical trails I can find. I'm also going to experiment with bigger volume spacers.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 06-13-2018 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Sad news. Yesterday I cracked my rollik 607 frame. I was doing a 5.5-6 foot drop to rock landing in Bend, OR. It was a big feature. I landed slightly past the sweet spot (not quite a huck to flat, but not a super smooth landing either), bottomed out the rear shock, and it ended up cracking the frame at the seat tube, right below the upper link. The crack allowed the rear tire to contact the seat tube, causing the bike to stop dead in its tracks. It pitched me over the bars, but I was able to tuck and roll and only walk away with a few bruises. It was a big drop, and while it wasn't a huck to flat, it was still a big impact and would have gently bottomed out most bikes. I've done bigger drops on other bikes before, but this WAS a hard landing. It was enough to almost bottom out my 160mm fork.

My carbon wheels were 100% fine and i didn't ruin anything else. I'm theorizing, but I think the suspension design, with the linear/regressive last bit of travel may allow bottom outs to be harsher than some other suspension designs. This design may necessitate running a larger volume spacer than I'm used to.

Prior to this (it's 2 months old), there weren't any sign of cracking, no weird noises, and no weird behavior (ive been very diligent about inspecting it). I haven't crashed this bike ever (including this drop) and I've never ditched the bike or bailed out and sent the bike flying. I've hit about 15 4-5 foot drops, and several 10+ foot gap jumps on this bike with zero issues. This g-out was the only damage to the bike I've had.

I was running 110% of my weight (200psi), with the stock volume spacer. I'm running a 2.5 wt rear tire on a 36mm rim (not that the tire matters, but it didn't contact the seat tube till after the crack). I wonder if running a larger volume spacer would have prevented this. In 20 years of riding, I've never tacoed a wheel, broke a frame, trashed a rim, snapped a derailleur, or broken any other major component. I'm pretty easy on gear, but lately I've been pushing the size of the obstacles I hit, and this one must have been the perfect storm between not enough volume reducers and too flat of a landing. This was the first time I've felt the rear shock bottom out. Before this, I'd use all the travel from time to time, but never feelt a hard stop. Most rides I end up using all but the last 3mm of stroke. After this landing, the ring was at the very end of the shaft. I'm not sure if I felt a hard bottom out with the shock, or if I felt the tire hitting the seat tube hard after it snapped.

Spot has been amazing to work with, and they'll be sending me a replacement front triangle, along with a new upper link design that is meant to reduce stress on the seat tube in the event of a hard landing like this.

I don't feel like most people will ever stress their bikes to this level, and I don't feel like people need to worry about their frames, but its worth mentioning in this thread.

For those out there who are hitting big gaps and drops, make sure your rear shock is totally dialed (especially the last bit of travel) and take it easy if you might have a really harsh landing

I accept responsibility for not dialing in my rear shock perfectly, and for hitting big features on this bike. I've never had a frame design that didn't get super progressive at the end of its stroke, and I've never had to add volume spacers before either. This failure may have been 100% user error on my part, and it may have been 100% preventable by running more volume reducers. I don't know exactly what caused it, or what would have prevented it.

All in all, I'm surprised it cracked, but it was a hard landing. I'm really impressed with how spot is handling the replacement. They're great guys and their first priority was my safety. I'll report back on the new upper link design once I've got some time on my new frame. I'm glad to see them taking a proactive approach to improving their frame design for people like me, and I'm glad to be back on my Rollik soon. This bike is still my favorite bike I've ridden. I'm hopeful that the new upper link will allow me to continue going big on the bike without fear of ruining anything.

I wish mtbr were easier to add pics from my phone. I'll edit this post to include pictures of the drop and damage shortly.

I look forward to trying out the new upper link and continuing to ride my rollik on some of the best technical trails I can find. I'm also going to experiment with bigger volume spacers.
    This seems to be almost exactly what happened to the other one that was discussed earlier in the thread. Spot took the position that the shock may have bottomed out as well. I have a Mayhem and from what I understand speaking with some of the suspension pros, the Rollik and the Mayhem do have a difference leverage curves with the Rollik being more linear. So that supports your idea that a more progressive shock is likely needed when riding drops etc like you described.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Dang man! Glad your all good. Sad news is right. I live in Bend, OR thatís where Iím riding the mayhem, I definitely havenít seen another spot bike on the trails yet. Look forward to seeing a picture of what happened. What trail were you riding at? I think youíre right about the rear suspension design, as my mayhem was bottoming out pretty easily with the small 0.2 spacer from the factory. With the 0.6 installed now itís hard to bottom out even on bigger drops and it acts more like Iím used to on bikes In the past.
    One more thing should be noted, I just took delivery of mine 2.5 weeks ago and it came with a ďnewĒ carbon fiber upper link piece, whereas the older models were shipping with an aluminum link. Do you know if your rollik has an aluminum one installed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since I will not ride but to maybe 50% of sixstringsteve's riding, I'll be okay. Will have to demo the Rollik and Mayhem later this month. If they climb smooth stuff well and tech chuck well, I'll go ahead and put them on my top 3 list to decide on one.

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Damn that sucks about the break, glad you are ok. So far I have been having good luck with a little extra air in the shock, haven't used all of the travel even on rougher trails, but I haven't done any big drops to flat either. I actually think my math was a little off and I was initially running a little less than 110%, and now am running maybe just over. I am loving how this bike feels right now, I feel so much more confident on it than on my '16 stumpy, it climbs amazing, and is so playful and fun. Steve I'm a little confused about what you were told about the volume spacers, you posted earlier that 0.6 was the maximum recommended but Paul told me I could go all the way to 1.2.

If I remember right I think the guys at spot told me that all of the front triangles on mayhems and rolliks are the same, but they have different rear triangles and links probably. Just wild speculation but maybe when they redesigned the rear for the longer traveled rollik it caused the linkage to be more linear like bogeydog said, since I havent heard of any problems with the mayhem or 1st gen rollik. It does suck that it will be in the back of my mind now if I progress my riding to taking bigger drops. Still absolutely love the bike and am happy I bought it, but I will be following the situation for sure. Thanks for the detailed report Steve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Initially Paul told me my shock came with a 0.2mm spacer. Then he called me back and said it was a 0.6mm, the maximum that Fox recommends for this frame. You CAN go bigger, but Fox didn't recommend it. I'm not worried though, because FOX bases their limits on having 350 psi in the can. I'm only running 200 psi, so I feel fine adding some bigger volume spacers.

I'll open my rear shock soon and see what's actually in there. I've been working 14 hour days at work lately and I barely have time to come up to breathe. I'll get those pics and details up soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 35large View Post
    I live in Bend, OR thatís where Iím riding the mayhem...What trail were you riding at?
    I was climbin up Ben's trail. There's a bonus line off to the left on one of the climbs. I wish I could attach a pic here, but MTBR is blocking me and I don't have a good image hosting site. I'll play with getting an image up later today.

mtbr member
    Thats crazy, I live in Bend and I'm pretty sure I know the drop you're referencing. It is a big drop but like you said not a huck to flat landing. Glad you were able to roll out of that one mostly unharmed.
    This is very similar to where Alex (singletrack sampler) cracked the frame, with a bottom out causing the initial snap. IMO Spot should issue a recall and do a free replacement with the new upper link design. This is a huge safety risk. If I owned this frame I would be hesitant to send any big jumps or drops. Its a bummer because I was considering this for my next frame.

mtbr member
    That sucks, Steve, but glad that Spot is gonna take care of you. I got my Rollik (frame only) last month. I wonder if I have the new upper link. Any way to tell?

I've never broken a carbon frame before, but broke my rear carbon wheel on my Trek Stache last week on a trivial smallish jump (1' kicker) and cased the landing on a small edge. I do take responsibility because I think my tire pressure was too low (11psi on 3" 29 chupacabras). Either way, we learn from our mistakes.

I am slightly worried about my Rollik though since this is the second breakage in 6 weeks that appear to be the same cause. I contacted Spot to check on my upper link and pointed them to this thread (assuming they haven't seen it). Hopefully we'll hear a bit more about the new link design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm confident spot will make this right. I imagine they don't have a stockpile of these upper links yet. We need to give them a bit of time to respond to this before we grab the pitchforks. I've been super impressed with every interaction I've had with them.

I'll be testing out the new upper link and letting you guys know what I think of it.

mtbr member
    I'm confident spot will make this right. I imagine they don't have a stockpile of these upper links yet. We need to give them a bit of time to respond to this before we grab the pitchforks. I've been super impressed with every interaction I've had with them.

I'll be testing out the new upper link and letting you guys know what I think of it.
    Just heard back from Paul@Spot:

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the message and all the info. Yes, you have the most current bike. As of the end mid-April, all bikes received that switch. We contacted customers that did not and sorted it out with them individually. You are all set! Thanks for checking in!

Cheers,

-Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was hesitant to post the breakage in this thread because I don't want to create more headache for spot . I imagine a handful of people have already emailed them with concerns. Ultimately, I thought other spot owners should know, so I posted in this thread.

They're a really small company and it wouldn't take much for us to completwly overwhelm them with lots of emails.

They've taken care of me and I'm in love with this bike and I can't wait to get my new triangle and start riding it ahain. I'm sure we will hear from them in time.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but it's a complete joke that the bike broke on that drop. So you had proper sag PSI in your shock per your riding weight and spots recommendations and regardless of you bottoming out the suspension this bike failed you badly and it could have ended much worse than just a broken frame but instead a broken body for a long time. You would have ridden that out fine had the bike not failed.

This is their 6" Enduro bike that can't hold up to "Normal" riding. Like I said earlier in this thread it's a bad design with the kinematics that won't allow this bike to be trusted especially by riders that get after it.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    To think that anyone should have a shock 100% dialed and have to add anything internally to the shock to prevent a 6" travel Carbon enduro bike from cracking on landing is ludicrous.

I'm glad your not hurt Steve and if that poor design by Spot concerning whatever excuse they will make be it linkage or rider error regarding PSI is just plain dangerous to the buyer of these bikes.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    On a side note, Chasing Epic has these bikes as part of their Demo Fleet and I was close to booking a Crested Butte trip with them but with the attitude of one of their guides they contracted in Moab just reading his comments and the way the entire Spot fiasco placing blame regarding a client who broke their rental bike on that trip I'm no longer willing to bring me and my group on one of those trips.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I messaged Spot about the new rocker link. Itís for the Rollik 607 only. If you have a Mayhem you are good to go with the stock link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I messaged Spot about the new rocker link. Itís for the Rollik 607 only. If you have a Mayhem you are good to go with the stock link.
    I have a carbon link that was for the Rollik on my Mayhem. Bought recently and installed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'm sorry but it's a complete joke that the bike broke on that drop. So you had proper sag PSI in your shock per your riding weight and spots recommendations and regardless of you bottoming out the suspension this bike failed you badly and it could have ended much worse than just a broken frame but instead a broken body for a long time. You would have ridden that out fine had the bike not failed.

This is their 6" Enduro bike that can't hold up to "Normal" riding. Like I said earlier in this thread it's a bad design with the kinematics that won't allow this bike to be trusted especially by riders that get after it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Be glad you're not hurt, sell that thing, and move on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is the drop I was going off when my frame broke. I took off the rock near the wooden post and landed on the rock ramp on the bottom left. It was about a 6 foot drop.

Spot Rollik 607-drop.jpg
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 06-23-2018 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My rollik was one of the earlier ones with the v1 upper link. It sounds like most people have the v2 upper link now. I'm excited to try this new upper link out. I love this bike, and I hope I can keep pushing it into bigger and bigger features without fear of breakage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Any idea what's different about v2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I know this drop, Itís pretty knarly for sure! Easily 6í almost a flat landing. If you donít land smooth, it will be a hard hit. I have a friend that hit this drop slow and ended up bending his trek aluminum bike rear triangle and rim haha. Thanks for posting, glad youíre a okay and hoping your replacement comes soon and is solid and confidence inspiring. I plan to hammer down on my mayhem which I love, put it through all the tests I can and we will see what happens! Hoping for the best!

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Any idea what's different about v2?
    The V2 will prevent the rocker arm from contacting the seat tube. I believe it is cut out a bit more along the front. Spot is sending out the new one to those that had the V1 rocker. Mine is on the way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    On a side note, Chasing Epic has these bikes as part of their Demo Fleet and I was close to booking a Crested Butte trip with them but with the attitude of one of their guides they contracted in Moab just reading his comments and the way the entire Spot fiasco placing blame regarding a client who broke their rental bike on that trip I'm no longer willing to bring me and my group on one of those trips.
    The guide's that Chasing Epic uses in Crested Butte is a different group than Moab. I can't comment on the Moab guides, but the Crested Butte guides are absolutely awesome. Also keep in mind the guides aren't employees of Chasing Epic, they are hired guides by Chasing Epic.

I did a Chasing Epic in Fruita with the guides that do Crested Butte as well (they are based out of Crested Butte btw), I would highly recommend either trip as again the guides are absolutely wonderful in every way and incredibly respectful of any and all rider's abilities. I would hire them in a second for everything from a day trip to a multi-day trip.

As to the Rollik 607, it was neither here nor there for me. It climbed flat stuff great, way too stiff rear IMO for technical climbing to me, normal trail riding was fine, and on big technical descending was again too stiff in the rear IMO. It just seemed to skip and bounce on big stuff to my liking, even at 30% sag. Flowy stuff it was fun though, but I can't say I've ridden a modern bike over the past few years that wasn't fun on flowy stuff.

I'm a big guy, 6-3, 245lbs, and I like to go over stuff rather then around, and the rollik just wasn't that type of bike to me. I can see why some people like it, some people hate it, and others are probably like me, it is just another bike. After the fact I wish I would have gone with the Rollik 29er (Mayhem), but I really like the Ibis Ripley LS and would be hard pressed not to choose that for a 29er. I am glad I got to finally ride a spot though. I did absolutely love their paint though, especially the black bikes.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post
    The guide's that Chasing Epic uses in Crested Butte is a different group than Moab. I can't comment on the Moab guides, but the Crested Butte guides are absolutely awesome. Also keep in mind the guides aren't employees of Chasing Epic, they are hired guides by Chasing Epic.

I did a Chasing Epic in Fruita with the guides that do Crested Butte as well (they are based out of Crested Butte btw), I would highly recommend either trip as again the guides are absolutely wonderful in every way and incredibly respectful of any and all rider's abilities. I would hire them in a second for everything from a day trip to a multi-day trip.

As to the Rollik 607, it was neither here nor there for me. It climbed flat stuff great, way too stiff rear IMO for technical climbing to me, normal trail riding was fine, and on big technical descending was again too stiff in the rear IMO. It just seemed to skip and bounce on big stuff to my liking, even at 30% sag. Flowy stuff it was fun though, but I can't say I've ridden a modern bike over the past few years that wasn't fun on flowy stuff.

I'm a big guy, 6-3, 245lbs, and I like to go over stuff rather then around, and the rollik just wasn't that type of bike to me. I can see why some people like it, some people hate it, and others are probably like me, it is just another bike. After the fact I wish I would have gone with the Rollik 29er (Mayhem), but I really like the Ibis Ripley LS and would be hard pressed not to choose that for a 29er. I am glad I got to finally ride a spot though. I did absolutely love their paint though, especially the black bikes.
    Thank you for the review on Chasing Epic. I have heard nothing but great things about them also. If you like the RipleyLS give the Mayhem a demo. I have owned both and the Mayhem in my opinion is way more fun. Both great bikes for sure but worth a demo on both before deciding. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    Thank you for the review on Chasing Epic. I have heard nothing but great things about them also. If you like the RipleyLS give the Mayhem a demo. I have owned both and the Mayhem in my opinion is way more fun. Both great bikes for sure but worth a demo on both before deciding. Cheers!
    I also went out with Chasing Epic in Crested Butte. Ben & Janae from Colorado Backcountry are the guides used by Chasing Epic there. Both great riders and Ben is an especially strong climber. I'm still hoping to get back out with Chasing Epic to Moab later this year....I don't have a problem with the comments made by the guide in the other thread anyway. Alex, who was riding the bike, is a complete $hit-show on a bike. I know I wouldn't let him ride one of mine.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts on the Trip offered in CB and also about the 2 guides and there great service they provide. I've done 3 trips with H+I adventures so the bar is very high for what I expect from a company from start to finish.

One thing that really put me off about the entire fiasco with the Spot Rollik 607 that broke was the fact that both the company "Spot" and that specific guide blamed the rider 100% and pretty much said he was incompetent with the setup of his rental bike and his riding abilities caused everything. Wrong !!!! In the end it was indeed a design flaw which with that linkage and not the rider, shock setup.....or irresponsible riding....or whatever spin those involved wanted to put the blame on.

I'll definatley ride one of the Ibis bikes if I pull the trigger on a trip with Chasing Epic
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just got off the phone with Paul, what a great guy. A little update.

They're out of small frames at the moment, so my replacement frame won't come for a couple weeks. He offered me a loaner bike in the mean time (which is awesome CS), but I can live without my rollik for 2 weeks. I'm excited to get the bike put back together and test out the new upper link.

At this point, Alex and I are the only two who have broken a rollik 607, and both were off 5-6' drops. It's good to know that there hasn't been anyone else who has broken one.

I'm hopeful that with a bigger volume spacer, and the new upper link (which reduces the load on the seat tube and has more clearance), I should be good. Fingers crossed.

In the event that I manage to crack my next one, I'd be devastated, because there's no other bike I like even close as much. Sure, I could have fun on just about anything, but the living link and the geo of this bike have really set the bar higher than I thought was possible. Every other bike I've ridden is a compromise in ride quality for what I like. I've found bikes that I enjoy almost as much on the downhills, but definitely not on the uphills, on jumps, or corners.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts on the Trip offered in CB and also about the 2 guides and there great service they provide. I've done 3 trips with H+I adventures so the bar is very high for what I expect from a company from start to finish.

One thing that really put me off about the entire fiasco with the Spot Rollik 607 that broke was the fact that both the company "Spot" and that specific guide blamed the rider 100% and pretty much said he was incompetent with the setup of his rental bike and his riding abilities caused everything. Wrong !!!! In the end it was indeed a design flaw which with that linkage and not the rider, shock setup.....or irresponsible riding....or whatever spin those involved wanted to put the blame on.

I'll definatley ride one of the Ibis bikes if I pull the trigger on a trip with Chasing Epic
    NP at all. Steve the owner of Chasing Epic sets up an incredible trip, supplies great food, ride snacks/nutrition, and is a great rider and photographer. He exceeded my exceptions by miles with the trip he laid out. Before the trip he also helped me plan other aspects of my trip with my S/O on trails in western Colorado and Moab that would be beginer friendly for her, as well as places to eat/stay. Ben (owner of Colorado Backcountry) and Sydney (works for Colorado BC) were our guides and provided so much in terms of preperation, giving us backstories on the trails we were riding, small skills clinics if needed on how to overcome obsticles, and pointing out wildlife and vegetation. The passion those two have on the area of Crested Butte and GC/Fruita is incredible and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to them in the evenings and mornings about the area/trails/rides/etc... On top of that I couldn't imagine either of them ever saying anything negative about anything, they both are incredibly nice people. Here is Colorado BCs website: https://www.coloradobc.com/

I wouldn't let the issues of the Spot stop me from booking another trip with Chasing Epic and again although I didn't find the 607 to be a bike I'd buy, I did enjoy riding one for 4 days and I didn't let the issues that STS had on his slow me down or discourage me from hitting anything as I would on my bikes, and trust me we all knew about what happened as his incident happened the week before our trip.

mtbr member
    I had a nice conversation with Chasing Epic and I'm really excited to soon do a trip with them. The fact that mountain biking is supposed to be fun and enjoyable every pedal stroke you put in while sometimes having to deal with different personalities and skill levels in the group was my main concern and Steve is 100% committed to bringing this stoke factor to every client who books an adventure with them.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 35large View Post
    I know this drop, Itís pretty knarly for sure! Easily 6í almost a flat landing. If you donít land smooth, it will be a hard hit. I have a friend that hit this drop slow and ended up bending his trek aluminum bike rear triangle and rim haha. Thanks for posting, glad youíre a okay and hoping your replacement comes soon and is solid and confidence inspiring. I plan to hammer down on my mayhem which I love, put it through all the tests I can and we will see what happens! Hoping for the best!
    Was your friend on a hardtail? My back wheel landed on the landing, but my front wheel was a little ahead of it. It's a risky move regardless. It was a fun one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Was your friend on a hardtail? My back wheel landed on the landing, but my front wheel was a little ahead of it. It's a risky move regardless. It was a fun one.
    Not a hard tail. Full suspension, but it was a short 80mm travel xc style bike and it was about 10 years old with qr dropouts that bent so the wheel wouldnít sit straight in the frame.

Thatís so awesome they offered you a loaner, itís really nice dealing with a small company that has great CS. My interactions with them before purchasing were great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I borrowed a friends bike today, and the whole time i was wishing I was on the spot.

Barely in control
    Initially Paul told me my shock came with a 0.2mm spacer. Then he called me back and said it was a 0.6mm, the maximum that Fox recommends for this frame. You CAN go bigger, but Fox didn't recommend it. I'm not worried though, because FOX bases their limits on having 350 psi in the can. I'm only running 200 psi, so I feel fine adding some bigger volume spacers.
    .2 and .6 cubic inch volume spacers, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am a complete noob when it comes to mountain biking, i come from a motorcross background but do not have any experience when it comes to mountain biking. This is my first post actually on this forum. Hello!

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I was pretty much set on a spot rollik and then i came across this thread. I understand that unexpected stuff happens and unexpected stuff breaks, it's life. But looking at this from a completely noob and unbiased view point i am kind of thinking to myself wtf?? I understand that the first break we aren't exactly sure what happened etc. but in my mind the second malfunction kind of brings some merit to the first malfunction. The pic of the drop posted where the 2nd accident happened didn't even look like that big of a drop. Am i over thinking things here? Is spot even sure the spacer and whatever other parts is going to fix the issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    I am a complete noob when it comes to mountain biking, i come from a motorcross background but do not have any experience when it comes to mountain biking. This is my first post actually on this forum. Hello!

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I was pretty much set on a spot rollik and then i came across this thread. I understand that unexpected stuff happens and unexpected stuff breaks, it's life. But looking at this from a completely noob and unbiased view point i am kind of thinking to myself wtf?? I understand that the first break we aren't exactly sure what happened etc. but in my mind the second malfunction kind of brings some merit to the first malfunction. The pic of the drop posted where the 2nd accident happened didn't even look like that big of a drop. Am i over thinking things here? Is spot even sure the spacer and whatever other parts is going to fix the issue?
    As I understand it, the new upper link will not contact the frame even in the case a shock failing or bottoming out etc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you are concerned, pick up the phone and talk with them. They are replacing some early release 607 rockers with the new design effectively providing more clearance at the seat tube. J

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    If you are concerned, pick up the phone and talk with them. They are replacing some early release 607 rockers with the new design effectively providing more clearance at the seat tube. J
    I actually did call them today. Paul answered, probably before they were even open, thank you for that. Good guy to talk with, we had a positive conversation. I feel as though my concerns where addressed. Then he gave me a discount code for a new bike order before we got off the phone. You can't beat that.

Poser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Paul, and the rest of the staff, are fantastic.

It sounds like the v1 upper link had a potential flaw. Now that those have been replaced, we all hope to never see another issue.

Even though mine broke, I'm a huge spot fan and I love these bikes. I cant wait to get my replacement front triangle and new upper link. I've ridden a few other bikes lately and they dont even come close to how my spot feels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my replacement rollik frame in the mail yesterday and now she's built back up, ready for the trails.

V2 on the left, v1 on the right. Notice the extra bevel on the bottom of v2. The v2 link looks like a v1 link sanded down for extra clearance.

Spot Rollik 607-20180630_104743.jpg

Spot Rollik 607-20180630_103848.jpg

Even without a shock, I cant make the v2 upper link contact the seat tube, so we should be good to go. Even if I do happen to bottom out hard, nothing should contact. Fongers crossed the new upper link fixes any chance of breakage. I'll be hitting a few 5 foot drops today. I'll be running 115-120% of my weight for now.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I got my replacement rollik frame in the mail yesterday and now she's built back up, ready for the trails.

V2 on the left, v1 on the right. Notice the extra bevel on the bottom of v2. The v2 link looks like a v1 link sanded down for extra clearance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180630_104743.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1206082

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180630_103848.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	1206081

Even without a shock, I cant make the v2 upper link contact the seat tube, so we should be good to go. Even if I do happen to bottom out hard, nothing should contact. Fongers crossed the new upper link fixes any chance of breakage. I'll be hitting a few 5 foot drops today. I'll be running 115-120% of my weight for now.
    Glad you are back in action! Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    does the older Rollik 557 have the same problem? Can it also be fixed by replacing with this v2 upper link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
    does the older Rollik 557 have the same problem? Can it also be fixed by replacing with this v2 upper link?
    Doesn't have the same issue, it was a slightly different design with less travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Its so good to be back on my rollik. I've been hitting 15 foot gap jumps, 5-7 foot drops, ladders, all sorts of stuff. What amazes me most about this bike is how I have a blast on it no matter how hard or easy the trail is.

Most 150/160 bikes I've ridden in the past were only fun on black diamond trails, where you could really push the suspension. This rollik is snappy everywhere. It reminds me of a 5010 on the corners, jumps, and easy stuff, and a nomad v3 on the chunky stuff. If you get a chance to demo one of these, I highly recommend it. I'm having a blast on it, and ive ridden almost every bike on the market. In fact, we have other companies that have offered to give my wife and I bikes for free, but we still chose to pay for our rolliks.

Heres a quick little video from one of the gap jump lines in washington.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bky9U9Xn11T
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 07-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    deleted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For the record, spot isnt one of my sponsors, and they didnt give me a bike. They dont pay me. They do know that I exist, and theyve been awwsome to work with, just like other customers have pisted.

In fact, i cracked one of their frames and posted about it. Sponsored riders dont do that. I dont benefit at all from posting here.

I'm just excited about the bike and since they're a smaller company, I'd like to raise awareness and share my experiences. A lot of people jumped to conclusions when alex broke his bike, and i wanted to share my part of the story.

Given that most people will never see a spot in person or have a chance to throw a leg over one, forums and YouTube are some of the only exposure some people will get. I'm just trying to share my experiences so others can be more informed. I ride this bike 4x a week on different trails all over the US, and i feel like my experiences on the bike might help someone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I am a few months in on owning this bike, and I couldn't be happier with it. I am finding myself cleaning technical uphill sections I never have before, and have so much more confidence on the downhill. (last bike was 2016 stumpjumper) The leaf spring keeps gives such good pedaling platform and keeps it super snappy and poppy, but you still have the big travel for the bigger hits. It took some adjusting to get the rear shock dialed, but now that I found my sweet spot it feels so good. The steep seat angle feels a little different at first, but feels great on the steep uphill climbs, which is great for my trails on the front range. If you want a bike you can take on gnarly big trails but is still playful and fun on the tamer trails, this is your bike. Just be careful, if you demo one you might not be able to buy anything else. Honest opinion, also not sponsored by Spot, but will accept free swag if they are paying attention to this thread.

mtbr member
    A few of you (and others on the Mayhem thread) have mentioned lots of fiddling required to get the suspension dialed in... I'm curious, what's the secret? I've had my Rollik for a few months now, but have yet to find the right setting. I took it to Downieville for the first time this past weekend and boy was it harsh on the chunk. Granted, I had about 130% my weight in PSI for the rear because I'm a little bit afraid of bottoming out due to the frame incidents that Alex and Steve ran into. With 130% I have maybe 5-10mm before I bottom out. I would have thought that I'd bottom out at Downieville, but nope. I'm thinking about dropping it down to about 115% today when I ride my local trails. I'm not looking for a super plush feeling, just something much better than my hardtail . Those of you who've "dialed" it in care to share what "dialed" in feels like for you and what your settings are? I came off of an Ibis HD3 which had a bit more plusher feel, but obviously didn't climb as well as the Rollik.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is your rollik a 557 or 607?

I rode downieville in June with 110% psi (video coming soon), and I never used all my travel, even hitting all the bonus lines I could find (including the little log ramp to flat halfway down). There's nothing really that big on that trail that will require you to run more than 110%.

Your psi is too high, especially if you aren't hucking to flat or doing drops over 4'. Do you have the v1 or v2 upper link? If you have the v2, I wouldn't worry about breaking the frame on bottom-out, even with 110%. If you have a v1 (see pics above), email spot and they'll swap it for a v2 (I can't speak for them, but that's what they did for me). The best way to prevent bottom-out is with volume spacers rather than overall psi.

I've never ridden an HD3, but my rollik feels even more plush than a Mojo 4, pivot mach 5.5, or stumpjumper/enduro. You've simply got too much pressure in there for the suspension to be able to react properly. It's not able to move enough to absorb the bumps. If you're not dropping 4'+ drops to flat, 110% should be fine, especially if you have the v2 link.

I'm running 120% right now, with v2, and I'm doing 6' drops (to a landing) and zero issues so far. I'll post up if I encounter any issues with v2. I've had over 20 6' drops to landing, so I wouldn't worry too much about one or two here or there.

mtbr member
    I'm on a 607 with the v2 link. That's good to know. Thanks Steve!

Btw, did you add spacers to your dpx2? I just have whatever came with it... I'm guessing the .6 spacer?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I haven't been able to find spacers in stock, so I'm just running the stock shock with stock spacers. Running 120%, I only was only using 95% of my travel, even on big drops and jumps. I'm sure a drop to flat would use all the travel, but for now I'm going to stay at 120% until I experiment with different spacers.

mtbr member
    Steve covered it above, but FWIW... I also find the sweet spot to be 110% of rider weight on my Rollik. I donít do any big drops or anything, but I do ride fairly fast on some pretty technical terrain and the bike feels SO smooth and plush.

mtbr member
    Just got back from my local trails. You guys are spot on . 110% did the trick. I'm 185 without a pack. Set my rebound to 5-6 clicks from open... And it was perfect. Took it down a moderately chunky DH and still had about 5mm to spare.

At 110% it's super plush without compromising pedaling efficiency. Still pedaled uphill great but smoothed the chatter out I couldn't even feel it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    At 110% it's super plush without compromising pedaling efficiency. Still pedaled uphill great but smoothed the chatter out I couldn't even feel it.
    This is the key with the Spot bikes... I'm in the process of finding the sweet "spot" on my Mayhem with the DPX2 on there as well. IME, it takes a little longer than other bikes I've been on, but it's SO nice when you find the perfect shock pressure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I agree with other posters, 110-120% feels good, I think I initially was under estimating my rider weight which is why I was blowing through my travel so easy. I would also add that I have the compression damping all the way open. I understand from Paul that more air with open compression damping makes it a little more progressive than increasing damping would. The way I have it set up now I seem to have about 10% of travel left on pretty Rocky trails, but I haven't gone off any big drops yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I do ride fairly fast on some pretty technical terrain...

Understatement of the year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I am new to this forum, but read through it all thoroughly before I purchased my SPOT. I am an aggressive all mountain rider and couldn't be happier with my Rollik.

When I first road it, I was bottoming it out at 110% and stock spacer. Now I did change the volume spacer from .6 to .86 and I am running about 100% of riding weight (I am about 205 with full water) about 4 clicks from slowest on rebound. I do have the v2 rocker and without any air it doesn't come close to the frame. I did experiment with the 36 fork and added an additional spacer, but then I wasn't using all the travel, so I went back to a single spacer that comes stock.

I am riding this thing incredibly hard. I take it off large drops and big gaps. I have cased a small road gap and it did fine. For those of you familiar with the Oregon riding, I rode the jump line of Stub Steward, the DH trail of Thrillium in Washington, The gnarliest stuff at Squamish BC, and most of Black Rock and this bike killed it.

The bike rides amazing. I have never had a bike pedal more efficiently. To the point that I am going to use it in the High Cascades 100 next week instead of my 5lbs lighter cross country bike (2013 Niner Jet 9RDO). It just pedals that much better!

Spot Rollik 607-fullsizeoutput_adf.jpeg

Spot Rollik 607-fullsizeoutput_aff.jpgSpot Rollik 607-fullsizeoutput_afe.jpg
    Spot Rollik 607-%252zrip65rnmeskcnkzz1aa.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome to see this bike being pushed so hard. Keep up the great work!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A lot of people have been requesting videos of the Rollik in action. I'm almost done filming my review video, but in the mean time, here are a couple showing it in action.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    and one more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Volume Spacers.

I'm new to the concept of volume spacers. What do they do?

If you add a bigger volume spacer, what does this do for the air shock?

I guess another way to ask is how do you tune with this volume spacer?

When you add a bigger volume spacer, are you also planning to increase air pressure or decrease air pressure?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here you go, this should explain volume spacers to you:
    https://bikerumor.com/2017/06/07/sus...-ride-quality/

Basically, volume spacers affect the last ~15% of suspension travel. It controls what it feels like as it nears bottom-out.

I just ordered volums spacers for my shock. I'm running 120% of my weight right now. I plan on installing one volume spacer larger and running 110% of my weight. This will get me a plusher 0-80% of my suspension, and a stiffer (more progressive) final 20% of suspension, making it harder to bottom out and use all my suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    sixstrinssteve, do you have any time on mayhem 29 vs rollik? i am trying to decide if i want/need to switch from 650b to 29. currently have mojo hd converted to 650. i have demoed several 29ers this season but they all seem to lack in climbing department. i am coming to a conclusion that 29" wheels dont climb that well once the incline gets steep. we have lots of those here in CO Front Range. My demos included Ripley, Smuggler, Spark, Mayhem, 429 trail, Trek Fuel. I liked how they all carried speed but when it came to climbing it felt like i was working way much harder while pushing 52 rear 32 front, while on my mojo i typically stay in 36 rear and 32 front. also, during none of the demo rides i beat any of my usual times on climbing segments, not even close. this just leaves me wondering why people claim that 29er are more efficient. i take my hd on big rides (for me) as well 40miles 5k clibing while it being 32lbs it feels fine. all these new 29ers, none of them was over 30lbs, in fact, most were around 28lbs and yet the climbing still felt like a chore. any insight appreciated, i know you have ridden a lot of bikes.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im a pretty short guy and i very rarely feel comfortable on a 29er. Apart from some parking lot tests on a mayhem 29, all my other mayhem rides were in 27.5+ form. The mayhem climbs extremely well. With a longer chainstay and steeper head angle, its the only bike I've ridden that climbs better than my rollik (albeit, only slightly better). If all i did was climb, that would be my bike (in 29er form too). Personally, i climb significantly faster on a 29er, but i feel a little clumsy because of its size.

You're lucky you live on the front range, since Spot is right there and you can demo a mayhem 29er. It sounds like you alsready demoed a mayhem. I assume it was set up 27.5 + ? How did you like it?

In general, i feel like 29ers are a bit more efficient for me once i get my momentum rolling. However, despite what the magazines and media will tell you, 29ers aren't better ar everything in all areas. I much prefer 27.5 (and even 26) for most riding. Its ok if you dont prefer 29ers.

Who makes the 52t rear cassette you rode?

Aso, Colorado, has some of the country's toughest climbs. A lot of reviews and riders dont go above 3000 ft. Trust your gut and try as many bikes as possible and see what you click with. I will say, most of the spot emoloyees live on the front range, and most of them choose the mayhem 29 as their main bike.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 07-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks steve. I demoed mayhem set up as 29er. yeah spot is 5minutes from my house, so thats a big plus for them. i did like mayhem a lot, it felt quick and snappy on the climbs but then i compared my climbing times and i wasnt even close to my times on hd. and i am not comparing it to my best hd time on the climbs either. thats what puzzles me with 29ers. i am planning to demo rollik as well. i think on the steep techy climbs, when you really just crawling, 650b has the advantage, as you are basically accelerating and slowing down all the time. i dont find the rollover of 29" wheels a huge plus. i still want to demo ripmo to see how it compares. right now if i was to get 29er it would be mayhem for sure, i am just not sure if its the right fit for the hills here. on less steep climbs is where i really liked it and it liked much more how it descends comaring to my hd. i am tall, at 6'2" you would think 29er should be the right bike for me lol.

ah, and btw it was 50t eagle. my bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You may love the rollik. Im a huge fan.

While climbing times are one way to measure a bike, do you enjoy riding anything more than your hd? If not, keep on riding it. It's a great bike, and not all new bikes are better thsn bikes from 2010.

The only other thing I'd play with is frame size. I have been sizing down on bikes lately. With the trend to go longer and longer each year, i feel too stretched out on most recommended sizes. I do better on the smaller end of things. Maybe try a size smaller and a size larger than normal and see if that affects your time.

One last thought... think of how many rides it took you to dial in the suspension on your HD. The chances of you getting the suspension, tire presssire, saddle angle, and height all exactly right on your only ride of a demo bike are next to zero. Im sure there are bikes that i hated simply because the suspension wasn't dialed for me.

It sounds like your HD is a winner. Im excited to hear what you think about the rollik thougg. I believe the XL has a longer chainstay, which may be better or worse for ya.

Ive moticed a lot of things affect my riding times: heat, traffic on the trail, stress levels, weather/humidity, trail conditions, my level of fitness, etc. Time is a great way to compare bikes, but it's not the only metric i use. My times are almost always faster on a 29er, but i have way more fun riding 650b.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 07-26-2018 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ^ apart from your climbing times, was there anything you didnt like about the mayhem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    nope, like i said, loved it. an you are probably right that after owning it for a while and dialing it in, i would smoke all my PRs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    nope, like i said, loved it. an you are probably right that after owning it for a while and dialing it in, i would smoke all my PRs.
    FWIW, I have both the Rollik and the Mayhem, and ride them both a bunch. And I live in Colorado, where Iím usually doing big 3k+ days on the bike (used to be Front Range, just recently moved to Eagle).

When it comes to climbing, the Mayhem is clearly faster and more efficient, but not by THAT much. I think itís more due to how good the Rollik feels climbing. I always say that if I only had one of them, it would be a Mayhem with a 140 fork, but thatís just my slight personal preference for 29ers. You honestly canít go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what tires do you guys have on your mayhem and rollicks? what i forgot to mention is that i do not like this 2.6 tire trend on all these new 29ers. all the bikes i demoes except spark had 2.6 tires and i cant say i am a big fan. i would probably stick to 2.4 max.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what tires do you guys have on your mayhem and rollicks? what i forgot to mention is that i do not like this 2.6 tire trend on all these new 29ers. all the bikes i demoes except spark had 2.6 tires and i cant say i am a big fan. i would probably stick to 2.4 max.
    Vittoria Barzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I run a 2.6 DHF up front and a 2.5WT agressor on my Rollik. I like a meaty front tire.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    DHF 2.6 F /Rekon 2.6 R

mtbr member
    2.6Ē DHF and 2.6Ē Nobby Nic on the Rollik.

2.4Ē Onza Ibex and 2.35Ē NN on the Mayhem.

mtbr member
    2.6 Bontrager XR4 front and 2.6 XR2 back. Love em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Currently trying 2.5 dhf f 2.3 aggressor r on 29 mayhem love it insane grip without killing efficiency on the climbs. Also just got in a set of the new 29x2.4Ē rekons that Iím looking forward to trying. They are just about 200g lighter per tire! than my current set up, but the tread/meat size just doesnít compare to the dhf/aggressor, that I have a feeling this thing will be sliding out on me left and right.... but I also think it will fly on the climbs... hmmmm decisions. The bike came with 29x2.3 nobbynics and they are ok tires, light weight, but got a sidewall slice right off the bat. where with Maxxis I hardly ever have get a flat plus the grip is so much better. Nice to hear others tires choices and setups!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yogi, Iím curious what you think of the dhf front with rekon rear? Maybe thatís what I will try since i just got a set of 2.4 Rekons and have been running the dhf front already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wanted to love the rekon in the rear, but it quickly became my least favorite tire. Sidewalls/casing were too thin, too much squirm in corners, and the only Maxxis tire I've had that had repeate multiple punctures from sharp rocks. I wasn't crazy about the traction either. In fact, the rekon is the only Maxxis I've flatted on in the past 5 years. I had 4 flats on the Whole Enchilada on the same day on my 2.6 Rekon. They just don't work for the terrain I ride. That being said, some people LOVE them, which is great.

The aggressor is my all-time favorite rear tire. I wish they made a 3.0 aggressor I could toss on my plus bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had a similar issue with the Rekons. Except I got a cut in the tread on one of the first rides. Even Stans could not keep it full of air.

As hard as you ride, sixstringsteve, I'm surprised you're not on a Maxxis DHR on the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like DHRs and DHFs in the rear too, but I love the aggressor the most. Super fast rolling, great cornering, braking, and climbing traction. It just feels faster than the Minions. But if I had a DHF or DHR II on the rear, I'd be perfectly content.

I also like the DHR II up front too. It's a nice meaty, aggressive tire, with a touch more drag than I like, but I still love that tire. It brakes extremely well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Okay thanks, well thatís the shits that the rekons flat easy. One thing I did notice and thought was odd, was that the 29 x 2.6 is actually a lighter weight tire than the new to market size 2.4s that I picked up. Maybe that means they have a stronger casing?? I sure hope so because thatís sad to hear given the great previous luck Iíve had with Maxxis. Thanks all for the heads up I appreciate it! And Steve, I also absolutely love the aggressor on rear! Itís fast, durable, and hooks up super well honestly. but the 2.3 is just a tad skinny on i30 rims matched with the 2.5 dhf front. And of course just my luck I didnít see that a 29x2.5 aggressor was available, which it is, before I bought the rekons. Also Iím not sure if that tire would even fit in the mayhem frame..
    Keep shredding!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's because they use the lighter (less durable) 120 TPI casing on the 2.6 Rekon. Unfortunately there's usually a direct correlation between tire weight and durability. I prefer to run 60 TPI casing whenever possible because of the stiffer sidewall and stronger casing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Heres a little more spot rollik action from Oakridge, OR.

Whats amazing about this bike is how much fun it is on easy terrain. It feels like a transition scout or 5010 on mild, easy trails. Most enduro bikes are not fun to ride on slower or smoother trails, but this rollik doesnt give anything up on smooth trails. That living link keeps it from sagging into its travel. It stays supportive on the midstroke and stays poppy and snappy through the turns.

Take a nomad, for example. Amazong bike, but unless youre feeding it a steady diet of chunk, its rather boring and out of its element. I find that i have a blast on the rollik even when im on green or blue trails too. And when im on a double black, it feels so composed.

Tonight ill be starting the edit of my rollik review. Stay tuned for that video...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My God! Where are those trails? I wanna ride there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm FINALLY done with my reivew. It's long, and a little bit repetative, but I think it'll help people who hvae never ridden this bike.

My review:

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tess' review:

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice review Steve. I've been on these bikes, the 557 and now the 607, for 2 years now and echo your thoughts on the ride qualities you describe. To give some perspective, I ride in the PNW. Spend about 280 days/yr on the bike and weigh 195 lbs. I found the 557 to be the most durable and silent bike I have ever owned. Unfortunately, I too had the V1 Rocker on the 607 but, fortunately, did not experience any issues and have since installed the V2. Thanks to Spot for many smiles/hour. J

mtbr member
    @sixstringsteve, what are your thoughts on your MRP Ribbon. Do you run air or coil? Thinking of swapping out my Pike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I run a ribbon air. I really really like it. However, I'm biased because they support us, so I'm not going to give a 100% objective review. That being said, we love them. The only complaint I have is that both of our ribbons have a TINY bit of a kock at the beginning of the stroke. It feels a little bit like a loose headset. If I run less negative air spring pressure, the knock goes away, but so does the amazing small bump compliance. If that were gone, it would be perfect. I love these forks though, and I love that they're made in the USA.

I also really like the cane creek helm, that's another sweet fork.

I also like the pike, but the helm and the ribbon are definitely a step above in the plushness and tunability department.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out the Push ACS3 coil conversion for your Pike. Makes a big difference. J

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    can anyone give me eye to eye and shock stroke on Rollik 607?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Id ask spot directly. theyll give you a more accurate number than we can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    thanks steve. I demoed mayhem set up as 29er. yeah spot is 5minutes from my house, so thats a big plus for them. i did like mayhem a lot, it felt quick and snappy on the climbs but then i compared my climbing times and i wasnt even close to my times on hd. and i am not comparing it to my best hd time on the climbs either. thats what puzzles me with 29ers. i am planning to demo rollik as well. i think on the steep techy climbs, when you really just crawling, 650b has the advantage, as you are basically accelerating and slowing down all the time. i dont find the rollover of 29" wheels a huge plus. i still want to demo ripmo to see how it compares. right now if i was to get 29er it would be mayhem for sure, i am just not sure if its the right fit for the hills here. on less steep climbs is where i really liked it and it liked much more how it descends comaring to my hd. i am tall, at 6'2" you would think 29er should be the right bike for me lol.

ah, and btw it was 50t eagle. my bad.
    I own both the mayhem and the rollik, and I found that most of my strava climbing times are slower compared to my last bike, specializedstump jumper. I am 100% certain this is due to two things A: strata doesn't track total time, just moving time, and B: going from 1x11 to 1x12 causes me to go at a slower pace as that granny gear is too tempting to use. I haven't verified this but I wouldn't be surprised if my total time to the top is faster since I keep a more consistent cadence with the 1x12 and have fewer stops, vs 1x11 I would charge a technical section then stop to catch my breath (which strata doesn't take into account). Something to consider if you are using strava.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thats a great point ben!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i actually was comparing times on the trail where i can clear entire climb on my hd , no stops. with all 29ers tested i did have to stop even when staying in eagle. it just takes more muscle to spin those wheels. I finally demoed ripmo yesterday, same trail same findings. i did beat all times of all 29ers i tested previously though its an excellent climber and descender. liked it even more than mayhem overall. demoing rollik in 2 weeks along with another round of mayhem, back to back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    I own both the mayhem and the rollik,
    do you find climbing steep technical trails easier on rollik?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    do you find climbing steep technical trails easier on rollik?
    Full disclosure the mayhem is my wife's bike and she rides it in 27.5+ format. I have purchased 29er wheels and have only ridden it 3 times in that format. In my limited experience neither was necessarily better, other than the 29 wheel rolled over stuff better, and the smaller wheel accelerate better. For front range riders, I have ridden them both on two trails, Apex and little scraggy. I would rather have the Rolik on Apex (chunkier, ledgier, drops and jumps.) and would rather have the mayhem on little scraggy (flowy and fast).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what kind of weights are you guys getting with your rolliks?

mtbr member
    My size large is a portly 31lbs. My MRP Ribbon Coil is heavy. The rest... Derby i35 with Bontrager xr4s, GX eagle groupset, raceface alloy 760 bars and 35mm stem, Shimano XT brakes, bike yoke revive 160 dropper... Not sure anyone can get this thing lighter than 27lbs. The frame (large) alone is 7+lbs. Either way, I'm still very happy with it. Not gonna get on an xc podium with it, but probably not gonna try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast