The Spot Rollik 150- Mtbr.com
    hardtail partier
    Oct 2012

The Spot Rollik 150

This bike deserves its own thread. The Spot Rollik 150 is a 27.5 150/160 full suspension bike utilizing Spot's living link suspension, where they use a carbon leaf spring to create extremely efficient pedaling characteristics.

I've owned a Rollik 607 (this bike's older brother) for the past year, and it has blown me away. I recently had the opportunity to swap it out for a 150 and try it out. I am in love with this bike. In the high position, it rides like a 607. In the low position, it rides like a plush plow bike. So much fun.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like an awesome bike!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for the review Steve, you always do a good thorough job.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Thanks sc84. It's such a good bike. I love the addition of the flip chip. There are still plusher/bigger plow bikes out there, but it still retains its signature spot ride characteristics.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Awesome video. Can you share the info on the gear? Helmet, gloves, glasses especially. Liking the look of the helmet/glasses combo. Is the helmet MIPS compliant?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Sure, I'd be happy to. The helmet is a Specialized Ambush Pro. Not Mips. I think my next helmet will probably be a Kali. They have a fantastic reputation for safety. The glasses are amazing. They're Julbo Aerospeeds. They adjust to the ambient light conditions in 20 seconds. They go 100% clear when light is low (I use them for night riding), and they go totally tinted when it's sunny out. They're super lightweight, have stellar optics, and the reactive technology is amazing. I had a chance to get a handful of Oakleys for free, and I chose the Julbos instead. They're fantastic glasses.

Disclaimer: Julbo is one of my sponsors. But I sought them out because I love their eyewear so much. I have a few pair of their goggles too, and they have the same reactive technology. I never think about my eyewear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ok now Iíve seen your video,your Steve, Dusty Betty etc?
    Iím sold

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Yup, that's me. It's a killer bike. I really really like it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    Sure, I'd be happy to. The helmet is a Specialized Ambush Pro. Not Mips. I think my next helmet will probably be a Kali. They have a fantastic reputation for safety. The glasses are amazing. They're Julbo Aerospeeds. They adjust to the ambient light conditions in 20 seconds. They go 100% clear when light is low (I use them for night riding), and they go totally tinted when it's sunny out. They're super lightweight, have stellar optics, and the reactive technology is amazing. I had a chance to get a handful of Oakleys for free, and I chose the Julbos instead. They're fantastic glasses.

Disclaimer: Julbo is one of my sponsors. But I sought them out because I love their eyewear so much. I have a few pair of their goggles too, and they have the same reactive technology. I never think about my eyewear.
    Thanks for the info Steve. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hey Steve, If I could ask you a question. When you said you swapped out the wheels and rotors, did you do that yourself. Or were you able to do that through spot with one of the builds they offer?
    I too would probably swap out the wheels. Thanks again, I hoping to pull the trigger soon, without demoing.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I did it myself. I bought a 6 star build, then sold the Enve wheels. The cost for spot to stock and swap parts out would be enormous. Most manufacturers won't allow you to swap parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Those that own or have ridden this bike, how do you find the fit with having a shorter effective top tube? It's only 612mm on Large. I get it has a steeper STA, but so do several other bikes that also extended the cockpit (ETT & reach) to accommodate. I don't really want to have to go to a 60mm or longer stem to dial in the fit.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I tend to focus most on the reach measurement. What's your ideal reach measurement? I like bikes in the 420-430 reach measurement range, and my medium 150 feels perfect. I typically prefer longer reaches when racing and bombing down hill and shorter reaches when goofing off. What percentage do you stand vs sit when riding? Are you wanting straight line bombing stability, or trialsy poppy riding like Jeff Kendall weed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Probably 35/65 stand vs sit ratio, which I guess is why I tend to focus on ETT. Mostly shorter ups and downs, in the Ozark mountains.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Gotcha. I'm in the Ozarks right now. I think a mayhem would be the perfect bike for 90% of the trails out here, but there are definitely trails where I'll want my 150. What reach measurement is typically your ideal?

I typically buy a bike with geo that's best suited for when I'm standing, as I find that's when I need the most control and geo makes the most difference to me (hence why I size by each not ett.) I wish I could be more helpful with the ett measurements with a large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I feel a little cramped in my Rollik compared to other bikes I have ridden, I am 6ft with 33 inch inseem and have a large. My wife has a large mayhem with a shorter stem and for some reason it feels longer, I can't put my finger on why, I have even measured them and they are the same. (Same front triangle). Maybe it's the bigger wheels, shorter seat height, something to the shorter stem, higher stack? I feel like I would want the next front triangle to have a longer reach, but that's purely speculative, I haven't ridden another 27.5 bike that is similar with a longer reach, maybe I wouldn't like the longer wheelbase. You do get used to it but when I hop back in my buddies bike I am reminded of it. Seems like spot was one of the first companies to do the step seat angle, but didn't do the crazy long front centers that other companies are doing now along with the seat angle.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I wonder if the slacker head angle brings the reach in for you and feels more cramped. I wonder if an XL would be a better fit.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike. How are these weighing in? Lots of climbing on the weekends so a bit of a weight weenie.
    Ď19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Per spot, top build without pedals medium frame 27.8
    Ď19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Just for kicks, I put my plus tire on the rear of the rollik 150 to see if it'd fit, and it did! It's a 40mm inner wheel, 27.5x2.8" Minion DHF II. I know maxxis isn't the widest plus tire on the market, but I thought that was pretty awesome that it fit so well. It had 5mm clearance on both sides. I usually run 2.6s, but it's nice to know I can toss on my plus wheels if I feel like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just for kicks, I put my plus tire on the rear of the rollik 150 to see if it'd fit, and it did! It's a 40mm inner wheel, 27.5x2.8" Minion DHF II. I know maxxis isn't the widest plus tire on the market, but I thought that was pretty awesome that it fit so well. It had 5mm clearance on both sides. I usually run 2.6s, but it's nice to know I can toss on my plus wheels if I feel like it.
    Thatís awesome! Might do the same once in a while when my Rollik is delivered!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did you try to ride with 29er in front and 27.5 in rear?

mtbr member
    Thanks, your videos are always so insightful. Anyone know the chainstay length of the Rollik?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I've ridden a mayhem with 29er front and 27.5 rear. I haven't tried it on the rollik, since it has a 27.5 fork on it
    (it won't fit a 29er up front on that fork). I'd love to try it though.

I just picked up a 160mm pike ultimate 29er for my hardtail. I may toss it on my rollik in the name of science.
    Last edited by hardtail party; 05-31-2019 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manpurse View Post
    Thanks, your videos are always so insightful. Anyone know the chainstay length of the Rollik?
    S-L it is between 432-434 and XL it is between 440 and 442mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just got the notification that my Rollik 150 was just shipped! The wait is killing me! Says itíll be here Monday

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ive been on the first gen Rollik 557 for almost 2 full seasons. Got my buddy on the demo 150 today. He's getting the itch to move from his 2015 Norco Sight (i also owned one and it was a great bike). He's always been a faster DH rider than i, but since I've owned the Rollik - Im typically right on his wheel or strava may show I win some segments. Today - I even set a PR and Top 11 time this year on a segment - but - he was no where in sight. Meaning - he went DH so fast on the 150 Rollik - the longer into the run the further out front he pulled to where i literally lost sight of him... WTF? Now im not so sure i want him to consider buying it - HA!! I guess it may be time to grab my own demo - as he wasn't even fully sorted on the bike or suspension setup!!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Awesome to hear. This thing is a rocket. My only complaint is that it's a little short in reach. I'm considering a large for my next one, but the seat tube will be a bit too long for me. For the record, I'm loving mine, but the reach feels a tad short especially in low mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome to hear. This thing is a rocket. My only complaint is that it's a little short in reach. I'm considering a large for my next one, but the seat tube will be a bit too long for me. For the record, I'm loving mine, but the reach feels a tad short especially in low mode.
    Reach is definitely pretty short. Iím 5í8Ē on a medium. Absolutely love this bike. Every time on it I smile on the climbs not believing how well it does going up.

In your reviews before I bought the Rollik you always mentioned that on the climbs the Rollik feels like it goes a little further on each pedal than you expect. I always thoughtĒyeah yeah, still wonít climb as well as my Carbon hardtail.Ē But wow. Thatís literally the best way to describe how it feels. And time I put the power down the thing just rockets forward. Iím not a Strava time chaser at all as I like to stop and session, but I record my rides and have been killing almost all of my PRs and having a dang good time doing it.

Iíll throw up a more in-depth review of my Rollik here soon after a few more rides, but I can say with full confidence this is the best bike Iíve ever been on and Iíve demoed just about everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mellymtb View Post
    Reach is definitely pretty short. Iím 5í8Ē on a medium. Absolutely love this bike. Every time on it I smile on the climbs not believing how well it does going up.

In your reviews before I bought the Rollik you always mentioned that on the climbs the Rollik feels like it goes a little further on each pedal than you expect. I always thoughtĒyeah yeah, still wonít climb as well as my Carbon hardtail.Ē But wow. Thatís literally the best way to describe how it feels. And time I put the power down the thing just rockets forward. Iím not a Strava time chaser at all as I like to stop and session, but I record my rides and have been killing almost all of my PRs and having a dang good time doing it.

Iíll throw up a more in-depth review of my Rollik here soon after a few more rides, but I can say with full confidence this is the best bike Iíve ever been on and Iíve demoed just about everything.
    Bumping this cause I'm bike shopping and this is high on my list. 5'8 also, so are those of you in this height range recommending a large or a medium?

Also, how is it on small bump compliance and traction in the loose? I've found the efficient pedaling bikes like the DW link seem to give up a bit in these traits.

TIA

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Bumping this cause I'm bike shopping and this is high on my list. 5'8 also, so are those of you in this height range recommending a large or a medium?

Also, how is it on small bump compliance and traction in the loose? I've found the efficient pedaling bikes like the DW link seem to give up a bit in these traits.

TIA
    Where do you live and what terrain do you ride most?

Typically with bikes that have high anti squat, you lose small bump compliance. If small bump compliance is a top priority, there are better bikes for that. I prefer a firmer pedalling platform with high antisquat more than small bump compliance, so I tend to favor this bike.

If you can fit on a large, I recommend doing it. I'm 5'6" and I'm on a large and I'm loving it on the steep trails in sedona.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Where do you live and what terrain do you ride most?

Typically with bikes that have high anti squat, you lose small bump compliance. If small bump compliance is a top priority, there are better bikes for that. I prefer a firmer pedalling platform with high antisquat more than small bump compliance, so I tend to favor this bike.

If you can fit on a large, I recommend doing it. I'm 5'6" and I'm on a large and I'm loving it on the steep trails in sedona.
    I live in the mountains of Idaho, but ride all over so really looking for that unicorn of a bike. Small bump compliance and firm pedalling! Thanks for the feed back on the sizing. Wheelbase is really the only thing that is bigger on the L than my current bike, I guess because it's a little slacker.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I live in the mountains of Idaho, but ride all over so really looking for that unicorn of a bike. Small bump compliance and firm pedalling! Thanks for the feed back on the sizing. Wheelbase is really the only thing that is bigger on the L than my current bike, I guess because it's a little slacker.
    To me this bike feels like a plush hd4 on the downs and a more efficient yeti on the climbs. The living link suspension is truly unique and nothing climbs like it.

I think it strikes the perfect balance between a great pedalling platform and a plush ride. You can always tweak the feel with good suspension tuning. I'd recommend you try one out. Theres nothing that climbs like it. Small bump compliance is fine for me, but it's not as squishy as a trek or a specialized. You'll never need to reach for the shock lever, as the suspension design removes pedal bobbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just curious, are more people running their bikes in high or low? I've mainly been in high, but recently switched to low and seemed to notice a difference, especially in the steep, rougher stuff. Anyone have any feedback?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mappy View Post
    Just curious, are more people running their bikes in high or low? I've mainly been in high, but recently switched to low and seemed to notice a difference, especially in the steep, rougher stuff. Anyone have any feedback?

I talked about my opinions on this in the video review in post #1. Now I run it in low all the time because I love how fast it is on the downs. High is more playful. Low is more of a plow/descending machine.

High climbs better. Low descends better. I leave it in low and it still climbs better than almost any other bike on the market. I do,however, wish I had 170mm cranks. The NBA is quite low in low.

I'm planning on setting mine up as a mullet soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mappy View Post
    I generally run it in high because I like that poppy feeling. I generally just switch to low at a bike park or if itís going to be a long descent. Definitely more of a plow bike in low!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah...I'm liking it in low. We have a couple trails which are fire road climbs and pretty steep, raw trails and it does really well. I guess I'll ride it a bit more and not be afraid to switch back and forth. I am loving this bike

mtbr member
    I talked about my opinions on this in the video review in post #1. Now I run it in low all the time because I love how fast it is on the downs. High is more playful. Low is more of a plow/descending machine.

High climbs better. Low descends better. I leave it in low and it still climbs better than almost any other bike on the market. I do,however, wish I had 170mm cranks. The NBA is quite low in low.

I'm planning on setting mine up as a mullet soon.
    The current build kits all spec 170mm cranks. I'm picking up a 5 star build this week. Looking forward to getting on it. I like playful and going fast -- probably start in High and see how I like it. I have 29ers for plow. Really just want to have fun on this one :-).
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)
    Specialized Fatboy (2015)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Sizing question. I'm 6'1 and have a 32" inseam. I currently ride a large Transition Trans-AM, which I love.

I was looking at the Rollik 150 and considering a large, but I'm concerned about effective top tube length -- afraid it will feel cramped while seated. But on the other hand, if I go up to the extra large, I'm looking at 440 chain stays, which seems to kind of undercut the entire point of this bike.

Any thoughts on sizing? Anyone my size riding a large?

mtbr member

Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Mwbriss View Post
    Sizing question. I'm 6'1 and have a 32" inseam. I currently ride a large Transition Trans-AM, which I love.

I was looking at the Rollik 150 and considering a large, but I'm concerned about effective top tube length -- afraid it will feel cramped while seated. But on the other hand, if I go up to the extra large, I'm looking at 440 chain stays, which seems to kind of undercut the entire point of this bike.

Any thoughts on sizing? Anyone my size riding a large?
    Iím 5í10Ē (31Ē inseam and normal reach) and just bought a Large. I have about 60 miles on it so far and really like it. The Large fits me perfect. I would think a Large would seem cramped for you and would recommend a XL. If you canít demo, call up Spot and talk to someone with as much data as possible. Great bike though 😎. Good luck 👍
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'd recommend an XL too. I would think if you're over 6', you'd probably appreciate the slightly longer chainstays, as it'll feel more balanced. Who knows, there may be a chance they'd put a large rear triangle on an XL front. Might as well ask.

mtbr member
    I rode mine in high and low on the trails most familiar to me (CO - rocky, rooty, kinda rowdy XC trails). I found the front wheel to be kinda skittish in in low and I didnít like it. High seemed plenty planted, fun and capable. Donít see a need/want for low- Iíll be a set-and-forget high guy 😎🤣 ...
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I love that we have options with this bike. Some people will prefer high, others will prefer low.

mtbr member
    Got a Rollik 150 on the way!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Rock on. Welcome to the club. I absolutely love mine. I can't think of a more well rounded bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Got a Rollik 150 on the way!
    Awesome. Congrats on the new bike. And Spot is running a killer sale on their bikes.

mtbr member
    I picked up a barely-used frame with the new Manitou Mira rear shock and Mezzer front fork. Looking forward to building it up over the coming months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    has anyone taken a rollik 150 to a bike park?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I've taken mine to Trestle and Deer Valley. I don't hit 50 foot jumps, but I hit 25 footers. It did great, just like most modern enduro bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    thats good to hear. i wanna pick up a rollik so bad. no one around me has one. almost have to go on reviews ugh

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I love my rollik, its my favorite full suspension (and I've ridden 90% of the bikes on the market).

I dont feel like their carbon is quite as thick and strong as something like santa Cruz. So if you're a bruiser and you knock your bike around, be careful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    i can be rough when i ride but not into stuff lol. im looking in that 3500 range. rollik, pivot, fanatik, and yt all seem to have decent bikes

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of YT myself, but I have friends that love theirs. To me, the rollik feels like a pivot on the downs, and a more efficient ibis/pivot on the ups. The living link really is something special. What part of the country do you live in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Maryland

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    would that mean it feels like a pivot on the downs but the pivot does it better?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    No. I compared it to a pivot because more people have ridden a pivot than a spot. If the pivot were better, I'd own the pivot.

To me, the pivot and the rollik are tied on the descents, but the rollik climbs and sprints even better. If you like the way a pivot mach 6 or 5.5 descends, you'll like the way the rollik descends.

Climbing is a matter of personal preference. I prefer high anti-squat values, where the suspension doesn't bob under heavy sprints. i know some people back east really like a soft/active rear suspension so it's always in contact with roots and rocks. I'd pick the bike with the geo and suspension characteristics you like, because everything else can be changed.

If you can't tell the difference between the suspension designs and how they feel, go for whatever looks coolest, or is the cheapest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    yea to be honest i dont have a preference as much as a budget set lol. i take a bike and ride it how i like and adjust. never really can tell too much difference. but also been on mostly hardtails.