Specialized Fuse Comp vs. SC Chameleon vs. Cujo 1 or 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Specialized Fuse Comp vs. SC Chameleon vs. Cujo 1 or 2

All, apologies first off for somewhat of a redundant topic from myself - I'm just one that researches everything to death.

I've narrowed down options based upon availability and the LBS I'd like to ideally deal with.

Getting back into biking- and it won't be a crazy get back into- but hopefully will turn into it. I've got a 3 and 6 year old, we're a BMX family- and so this bike will be used 50/50 on rail trails and singletrack - so not hitting things hard... but maybe harder as the kids grow.

I'm a buy once cry once type of guy - but also cost to value ratio minded. (I don't need the best, I need the best based upon a practical decision).

So with that in mind:

'19 Specialized fuse comp at $1450
    '19 Fuse Expert $1700
    '19 Cujo 2 at $1050
    '20 Cujo 1 at $1700
    SC Chameleon D+ $1700 (would add dropper post)
    SC Chameleon R+ $2300

I know it's a wide range, both in component and price. I know that any of the bikes will do well. What I don't know is if I want to play the "for just a little more money I could have..." game.

I know I'm over thinking this, so if you were looking for a bike for a novice/intermediate rider whom will stay in that riding category (albeit pushing and having more fun) what would you recommend?

mtbr member
    I looked at the Chameleon and I don’t see $1,700 worth of bike there. SC makes good stuff but the “ability to switch to SS” is kind of a gimmick. It’ll cost more than it’s worth to change.

On paper the 19 Fuse expert is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Back in the old days, homie of mine got a Chameleon (2003) and I was really impressed....now that being said, I'm super impressed with my 9 Iron, but I'm just giving my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks all. To compound - I can get the ‘19 carbon fuse comp for $2400.

Also- shop had the ‘19 roscoe 8 listed for $1000. I know these are all apples and oranges, but leaning towards saving some coin- getting the roscoe- seeing how much I ride and how hard I push as I can always upgrade and give the bike to the missus who’s gonna need a new one anyways. She’d end up with a $500 bike to just ride with us occasionally- so figured in a way, either she’ll make out with a better bike, or I’ll save some money on a bike that truly will probably fit my needs for how I’ll use it 80% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Fuse we bought for my son a few years back was a bit of a disappointment. Specialized used a ball and cone "cartridge bearing" rear hub that loosened itself nearly every ride. They also speced a headset that was so poor that it literally disintegrated in my hands when I went to grease it. The LBS was also less than helpful to put it mildly.

With a little frustration and a some money my son got almost three years out of it, and any lower end "real" mountain bike can have component trouble. I can say I know or 5 riders on Roscoes that seem to be having a good ownership experience. I can barely keep up with a local girl that is starting her high school race season this weekend on a year old Roscoe. I can comment on the SC bikes, I've only seen one in the wild.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    We have no issues with the 19 Fuze comp my wife was and now my 25 year old stepson is abusing. I do like the Roscoe 8 in comparison to the Fuze comp, the Fuze expert levels the playing field a bit for me. As the 20 Fuze just came out, which is a nice upgrade to the 19, you should be able to get nice deals on the 19s. If you can swing the expert level, I'd go for that.