Sonder Transmitter Carbon Hardtail - thoughts/comments?- Mtbr.com
    G
    Mr. Lurker

Sonder Transmitter Carbon Hardtail - thoughts/comments?

Thinking about this bike, seems like a really good price for a carbon hardtail. Wondering if anyone has any idea what one of these weighs vs something like a Ragley Blue Pig.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Thinking about this bike, seems like a really good price for a carbon hardtail. Wondering if anyone has any idea what one of these weighs vs something like a Ragley Blue Pig.
    Found out their Alloy bike is 13.6kg and the carbon is 12.1kg. That's only a 3.3 lb difference between the two. Hardly worth almost $1000 more.

Seems pretty heavy for a hardtail; my full suspension Trek is about 26 lbs, if I'm not mistaken.

They must use some really heavy wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a transmitter carbon size small. I did a custom build and it comes in at around 25lb with rs-pike, hope pro 4 wheels and shimano drivetrain (slx/Xt).

Itís a good price for a carbon frame, theyíre well made. 2.6Ē tires work best on this bike imo.

I came to this bike from a alloy fs. I donít really miss the extra cush however my trails are pretty tame anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also to consider the frame was released end of 2017 I believe . Iím not sure if they have a new design on the horizon. This frame could get discounted further in price

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The frame only weight is sub 1.2kg even in L.

I would love so much for this bike to be designed for 29 2.4/2.5. It would've been my wifes perfect bike. Unfortunately doesn't work with clearance BB height on this one.

Hope they launch a revisted 29er version now the plus hype has blown over a bit. Would be dream bike. So much well thought out detail in this design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ive now heard that they are discontinuing the carbon transmitter. No new revisions to come. It sounds like they want to move away from this frame material on all bike models they sell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    Ive now heard that they are discontinuing the carbon transmitter. No new revisions to come. It sounds like they want to move away from this frame material on all bike models they sell.
    Carbon is a higher risk material for a brand because you need to take a minimum amount from the factory because of the cost of the moulds. If you don't sell enough or without sufficient margin you won't get a good return on investment.

That said, I don't think a carbon plus 27.5 bike with heavy wheels, tyres and slower rolling is that logical a bike. I reckon a carbon 29er 2.4/2.5 with some lighter wheels makes a lot more sense. You could use it XC/endurance racing (the medium transmitter carbon is ~1.1KG), you can use it for after work blasts, you can use it in the high mountains (fast up and down), you can use it for local all day epics or do technical rides on it.

It would be such a versatile bike, I think the market would be much larger. I really hope they give it a try. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah the one bike they are missing from the line up is an XC model. They have all the others covered.

You never know. They seem to have teased a new bike on their Instagram the other day. hard to tell what it is. Does look like big 29r wheels ...