somewhat progressive 27.5 trail bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

somewhat progressive 27.5 trail bike?

It looks like 27.5 xc and trail bikes are rapidly being phased out in favor of 29ers ...

Most shops around where I live don't even carry them anymore and only stock 27.5 enduro/am or DH bikes. Would anything in this category be worth considering over an Ibis Mojo 3?

Seems the industry has really gone balls deep for 29ers, but the few I've ridden haven't convinced me... Sure they roll over stuff more easily and maintain speed more efficiently... but they certainly feel more sluggish, less agile and less poppy.

Single Track Mind
    Santa Cruz 5010!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Or wait for the Mojo 4, maybe still a 27.5 and hopefully soon to be released.
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

Rider
    Intense Primer, SB140

Old enough to remember ..
    I just got my new deVinci Stellar Acera, yep it is a 27.5; rides very, very nicely.
    Of course I don't do the far out "stuff" just what I call regular trails. For that and time trialing on our RailTrail it is the "cat's meow".

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_1267_scategory_291

And I really like that Rusty Raw colour, besides I had no intention to pay more than Can$1000.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Intense Primer, SB140
    27.5 Primer is a good looking option. You might also be able to find a 2019 Recluse or Spider at a great deal. I think Intense is offering free carbon wheel upgrades on their 2019 bikes.

mtbr member
    I have a "brunch ride" Yeti SB5 that is built up with a 160 fork that really is sweet. It's a build well suited to the Wasatch/Moab area, at least and will easily take 2.6" tires. Similar to the 5010. My wife is on the SB5 turq but with a 150 fork and she loves that.

But, I think I've only ridden it twice since I built up a Giant Trance 29, so the "sluggish, less agile, less poppy" analysis is pretty far off the mark these days!

If you have to have a 27.5, I'd consider a Bronson as well. It depends on how, what and where you ride and what you need in a bike, of course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Bird Aether 7

https://www.bird.bike/aether-7/

https://youtu.be/ffd1DpTbZfU

Slightly more rowdy 5010. Better value than Santa Cruz brand. Custom spec ability.

mtbr member
    Knolly Endorphin fits the description and is on a killer sale price at the moment!
    https://www.knollybikes.com/endorphin

The geo is still pretty modern, given that it is a 2015 design, the STA might be a degree or two slacker than the current trend but IMO this isn't an issue with shorter travel bikes, might even be a good thing. I've found mine to be a great mix of fun and playful on the more mellow stuff while still being reasonably composed on the steeper or more gnarly stuff.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden them but was going to suggest Knolly or Evil as well.

I can confirm that the 5010 and older Yeti SB5 bikes are excellent all conditions bikes. I don't know how it compares but that new Transition Scout looks pretty cool.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post

I can confirm that the 5010 and older Yeti SB5 bikes are excellent all conditions bikes. I don't know how it compares but that new Transition Scout looks pretty cool.
    Another vote for the 5010 (I ride one, everywhere, in the PNW). The Transition Scout also looks nice (the current/new Scout was not available when I was shopping a year ago, or I would have demo'd it also). The Scout does look more burly and DH capable (hence the Code brakes verse Guide/G2 most trail bikes have). Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post

Oh yeah, I guess the closest to an SB5 in Yeti flavor now is the SB140.

mtbr member
    Here you go:

https://ridegg.com/products/shreddogg?option=Race

The Shred Dogg would fit what you're looking for perfectly.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm very happy with my Santa Cruz 5010. I've been on it for two years now and don't feel I'm missing out.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can get a very good deal on a Trance Advanced 1 27.5 2019.

Is that still going to be quick / efficient enough on the long climbs and flatter flowy sections?

mtbr member
    What exactly are you looking for? Do you what a bike for long rides with lots of climbing and desending? A longer travel XC bike?
    The reason I ask this is that a lot of bikes, even full on enduro bikes are capable of being all around bikes. Personally, I ride a 170mm fr, 160mm rr enduro bike, which I bought primarily for bike parks and some trail riding, but this bike does so wheel climbing, despite its near 30lb weight, that I use it a lot on big, long (30+ miles, 4000'+ climbing) rides.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    "Do you what a bike for long rides with lots of climbing and desending? A longer travel XC bike?"

Yup, pretty much. I also ride around town a fair bit with it to but mostly riding up n down techy XC trails, long rides... Occasionally I take my bike across the ferry which involves riding on rolling rural roads to access mountain bike trails.

So I do want something more fun and capable, but something that wont feel bogged down and sluggish on the long distance riding and climbs.

a new carbon trance 27.5 you think would cut it? I can get one for about half the price of some of the other bikes I've been considering.

mtbr member
    I would suggest a Santa Cruz 5010. The 5010 could be build up as a lightweight enduro bike or a longer travel XC bike. With proper components selection, you can have a 5010 in the 25lb range.
    While I love my main bike, Turner RFX, it wouldn't be suitable for anything other than the type of riding that I have, long climbs, long descents, bike parks, rocky singletrack, etc. If I lived in an area that was flatter I definitely would ride something different.

As far as the Giant is concerned, I've never ridden a Trance but heard they do really well.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    I don't know what semi progressive is or what your budget is, but Pivot is still knocking out 27.5 bikes with the Mach 5.5 and Mach 6. I think they still offer the Mach 6 in aluminum if you are looking at a bit cheaper bike. I can only speak from my experience but I really like my Mach 5.5. You can even run the switchblade with 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Yeti SB140
    Vancouver, Warshington

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can get a sweet deal on a Trance 1 Advanced 2019. I wouldn't really call the geometry progressive. I'd imagine this bike will get revised for 2021.

Rider
    "progressive" in 2020 is code for "geometry suited for going up mountains at 5mph then bombing them at 20mph." I just can't like it for terrain in between that especially for short travel bikes. What's the point here? Sponsored people on Ytube are building their Mojo 4s with all enduro bike components to go with its 77 sta and 65 hta. Might as well get an HD5 really.

The 2019 Trance definitely has geometry for flatlander to mixed profile trails - a bike made for pedaling and tight turns. If those are your trails then get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Progressive geometry is neutral weight bias when descending and standing. Progressive geometry trail bike doesn’t mean a shorter travel free ride bike.

I find nothing pig slow 5mph ascending on my Aether 7. I ride on Midwest flatlands where XC bikes are king and nothing more than a 5010 or Smuggler is a necessity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ." I just can't like it for terrain in between that especially for short travel bikes. .
    Can you elaborate on that? Is a longer slacker bike with steeper STA not ideal for flat, fast riding?

mtbr member
    The Trance is a fine all-rounder, trail bike. A sweet deal makes it even better. It's not quite as efficient pedaling as a 5010 on smoother stuff, but not terrible. They put switches on the fork and shock for a reason, use them. Tread patterns and tire pressures can make a huge difference in pedaling efficiency too.

Steep SA is great for comfort when climbing, but can put a little extra pressure on your hands on flat ground. The Trance won't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? Is a longer slacker bike with steeper STA not ideal for flat, fast riding?
    An XC bike would always be better, perhaps one of those “down county” bikes would be as well.

Poster is be overly dramatic for the sake of arguing. Everyone is pro 5010. The 5010 vs the mojo 4 he is complaining about is 1.4 degrees steeper STA and 1.1 degrees slacker HTA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    An XC bike would always be better, perhaps one of those “down county” bikes would be as well.

Poster is be overly dramatic for the sake of arguing. Everyone is pro 5010. The 5010 vs the mojo 4 he is complaining about is 1.4 degrees steeper STA and 1.1 degrees slacker HTA.
    Hard to find 27.5 down country bike though.

Anything over a degree in SA or HA is pretty noticeable IME.
    My 5010 has a 75º SA and I think it does put a little extra pressure on my hands the few times I'm on level ground, but not bad. It's great climbing. I could see how 77º on flat ground might not be ideal, but never tried it. You can make adjustments to stack height to compensate, but that is also a tradeoff in other areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Down county = short travel trail 29
    ???? = short travel 27.5

Tallboy I’d say is prototypical down county bike, and in-line with current “progressive” geometry. Good for a bit of up and down, not for big hit all mountain/enduro stuff, and good for a bit of pop and drop. A lot of Santa Cruz fanboys think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Tallboy. HTA 65.5, STA 76.5 to 75.8 (size dependent), 120 r / 130 f
    Mojo 4. HTA 65.4, STA 76.6, 130 r / 140 f

Short travel 27.5 with progressive geometry = down county

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    No, it isn't. Cocalis gives a well reasoned perspective in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIj2aOKdnE&t=300s

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    No, it isn't. Cocalis gives a well reasoned perspective in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIj2aOKdnE&t=300s
    Watched it.

Few points they said it was an issue with seat steepness and the DW link suspension. But on a host bike it would be fine. But even at that, Ibis Doesn’t seem to think that at all.

Head angle slack.... they said it doesn’t work because then you run out of travel. But my experience has been with not prolonged steep descents, but rather quick drops where I want more bike in front of me. The travel isn’t needed because I’m not gong full huck off a drop, just enough to absorb from angle to flat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I pulled the trigger on the trance advance 1 2019 27.5 . Not the most progressive geometry bit comimg from the anthem advanced sx 2015 seems to make logical sense. Candian retail is $5500, getting it tax in for $3800 new.

Rider
    Head angle slack.... they said it doesn’t work because then you run out of travel. But my experience has been with not prolonged steep descents, but rather quick drops where I want more bike in front of me. The travel isn’t needed because I’m not gong full huck off a drop, just enough to absorb from angle to flat.
    That's a lack of upper body strength. Seem silly to compromise the bike's cornering for the occasional drop because of noodly arms.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    That's a lack of upper body strength. Seem silly to compromise the bike's cornering for the occasional drop because of noodly arms.
    So across the board all mountain bikers large loosing upper body strength, and the current geo tends are just compensation for that? Absolutely not, slack head angle = less sketchy going down. All bikes benefit from this current trend regardless of travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The truth is you're the weak and I am the tyranny of evil men

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    So across the board all mountain bikers large loosing upper body strength, and the current geo tends are just compensation for that? Absolutely not, slack head angle = less sketchy going down. All bikes benefit from this current trend regardless of travel.
    You lose some of the laser crisp handling feel that you had before. Steering is still manageable but I can tell a big difference navigating tight twisty sections on my samurai 65 compared to my caffeine.