so now the question is :crest or blunt sl????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

so now the question is :crest or blunt sl????

i have two silver Blunt Sls on the way right now. it took a while as they sold out their first run and had to get more in stock before i get mine. but they are now on the way... and then Stan's releases there Crest. I think that if both were out the same time i would go Stan's. But maybe at the slight weight penalty the Blunts will make a stronger longer lasting rim. What yall think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Crest for the win. No hassle tubeless - ness. Can't wait to get them for my build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The blunts are not what I would call a 'strong' rim. The 1st gen ones I had built up fairly noodley, and the velocity bead seat is no where near as bulletproof tubeless as the Stan's stuff I've seen. My local terrain is fairly abusive on rims, but I only got one season out of the blunt as a rear wheel. If I'm ever able to destroy the P35's I'm running I would probably give the Crest a shot.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Build the blunts and have fun.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have always found Velocity to be a good value. You already have the SLs, and the Crest isn't exactly renowned as a durable rim anyways.
    - Simon

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Don't you love it when people chime in with opinions based on rims that aren't the same, and talk as if that makes them experts on rims they've apparently never even seen a photo of. For starters, the Blunt SL as the other thread on them explains are a different rim having more in common with the P35 as far as the actual extrusion profile goes. They're also thinner than the regular Blunts (25 vs 28mm). They have the same bead seat profile as the P35 so are designed to setup tubeless easily with the velocity tubeless tape system.

Also given that there were TWO generations of the Blunts themselves, and the second current generation replaced the first generation more than two years ago, is another reason to discount an opinion based on the 1st generation run of a totally different rim that only shares part of the name in connection.

I myself, having used neither, would go with the Blunt SLs over the Crests.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 06-26-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    seems like i got lucky and ordered the blunt sls before i saw the crests. Also a bonus is the classic silver rim color! either way super excited to use them once they are built. next decision i have to make is chris king, white industries, hopes or...... thanks for the input yall

Hope is more easily switched for axle ends in front and they will also be compatible with those new one-piece freewheels they're offering with the 9-36 spread.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Build the blunts and have fun.
    88 - hoping to be at BW tonight, if you want to see a Blunt SL in the flesh.
    haven't gone tubeless route yet, waiting for a Racing Ralph to come in...one ride in so far.
    The WTB hub makes a neat sound though

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wait. Freewheel or cassette? 9-36.

Technically since the ratchet mechanism is being incorporated into the cogset, its a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Don't you love it when people chime in with opinions based on rims that aren't the same, and talk as if that makes them experts on rims they've apparently never even seen a photo of. For starters, the Blunt SL as the other thread on them explains are a different rim having more in common with the P35 as far as the actual extrusion profile goes. They're also thinner than the regular Blunts (25 vs 28mm). They have the same bead seat profile as the P35 so are designed to setup tubeless easily with the velocity tubeless tape system.

Also given that there were TWO generations of the Blunts themselves, and the second current generation replaced the first generation more than two years ago, is another reason to discount an opinion based on the 1st generation run of a totally different rim that only shares part of the name in connection.

I myself, having used neither, would go with the Blunt SLs over the Crests.
    I'm seeing conflicting info on press releases and Stan's website, the new Crest 650b may also be a new profile that is similar width and internal dimensions as the Blunt? Stans describe it as both 28 and 24 mm ext and uses 25mm yellow tape?. Both sites have it as iso 21mm internal.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/22/...on/#more-32703
    http://www.notubes.com/Crest-Rims-C54.aspx

They both have typos. Which is correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you look at the page with the full Crest lineup you'll see it's the only one listed at 28mm - all others are 24.4. Also note the 350g weight and 564 ERD. Now click on the link or the pic to view the details page and you will see 24.4mm, 365g weight and 560 ERD.

It's obviously the same 24.4mm extrusion, it's just a larger diameter roll. As for the weight, the 26er is 340g and the 29er is 380g. I'd bet on 360g, give or take a few. ERD is likely low 560s, one of the two listed values is probably correct and the other is probably from where somebody copied the data for the old 355 and just didn't edit enough of it for correctness.

My Blunt SL's arrived today. They are remarkably similar to the Crest profile, though its really more of a miniature P35 (it could have been named the P25, frankly). I found the Blunt to be bland in appearance while the Blunt SL for some reason looks much better. The decal is of higher quality on the SL both for appearance and adhesion. No regrets here.

Fred

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    If you look at the page with the full Crest lineup you'll see it's the only one listed at 28mm - all others are 24.4. Also note the 350g weight and 564 ERD. Now click on the link or the pic to view the details page and you will see 24.4mm, 365g weight and 560 ERD.
    Fred
    Exactly my point. Which one is the correct info? It is logical it would be the same extrusion as 26 and 29. But?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Exactly my point. Which one is the correct info? It is logical it would be the same extrusion as 26 and 29. But?
    I don't mean to by coy, but when I typed the second paragraph in my previous post the intent was to suggest which specs are most likely correct. I don't think any of us can tell you with certainty unless someone from Stans decides to post. But I'm pretty confident in my theories from my previous post. They are based on a logical, pragmatic process. Wish I could help more, but it is what it is until the manufacturer decides to correct their discrepancies.

Like I said, though, I have no regrets at all with my Blunt SL purchase.

Fred

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    88 - hoping to be at BW tonight, if you want to see a Blunt SL in the flesh.
    haven't gone tubeless route yet, waiting for a Racing Ralph to come in...one ride in so far.
    The WTB hub makes a neat sound though

Great night and nice rim. I didn't have time to hang out post ride, but I'm guessing no problems with the rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Great night and nice rim. I didn't have time to hang out post ride, but I'm guessing no problems with the rim?
    No worries. I was the last person out of the woods. After Joel and I got separated from the group, we used all of the available day light...then caught up with the consumption of adult beverages.

Anyway, rim is solid. This reminds me to call Shirks to see if Racing Ralph is in, so I can report on tubeless set-up. Still digging the whirl sound of WTB hub.

One thing I am wondering is if the velocity tubeless kit is any different from using Stan's yellow tape and valves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    my Blunt SLs should be in tomorrow! i guess velocity was out when my shop tried to order but now they are on the way. Also tried to order the Racing Ralphs from Schwalbe but they were out of stock as well. For a quirky, niche, esoteric aspect of cycling. The 650b products seems to sell out fast!...