mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smoothie 650B (long)

I have been bitten by the big wheel bug in a, well, big way. After spending most of the summer on my new Ahearne 29'r SS, I decided that my Moots Smoothie must be feeling pretty unloved and in dire need of a ride. I have ridden a lot of different bikes and nothing has ever felt quite as nice as my Smoothie, or so I thought. That ride was the most terrifying I can recall. My local loop suddenly felt completely foreign and every time the terrain turned south, I felt like an endo was imminent. I decided to convert to a 96'r set-up, which I had done with very pleasing results on my Chester Ute. Well, the addition of the REBA SL and the 29" wheel up front left my singletrack rocket feeling like it had been fabbed at Orange County Choppers. I hoped that maybe a 650B up front would solve my geometry issues. I laced up a Velocity Blunt to a CK ISO front hub and along with a Neo Moto was ready to go. As an aside, I did see if the wheel would fit into my '05 Fox Vanilla (100mm) and it fit with plenty of room to spare. The bike felt better, but still had a bit of an ungainly ride quality. I have the REBA set to 80mm, so the c-a-l is within 5mm of the Fox Float that had been there. The next tweak was stem related. I flipped my 130 x 10 stem upside down and, while the feel of the bike is decided long and low now, it did feel much better. Just for grins, I may pull the REBA and try the Vanilla to see how it feels. The variance in rakes between the two is likely small, but... I have a Synergy on the way which will serve rear duty on my Chester with either a 29'r or another 650B up front. I'll post when completed. With respect to the NeoMoto. Nice tire. Seems well made, I would say the 2.3 tag may be a bit of a stretch as is seems smaller than the 2.25 Nobby Nic, but still nice feel up front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    Put the Fox fork on that thing and give it a go with the 650b!!!! Do it for all of us out here in web-land that want to see that set-up.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Cool bike

However, the 130mm stem would make any bike feel front heavy. I bet a 27.5mm wheel is perfect. Hmm.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I second that...

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Put the Fox fork on that thing and give it a go with the 650b!!!! Do it for all of us out here in web-land that want to see that set-up.
    I am concerned that a reba +29er will make my FS Raleigh too slack. I did see a post that had 650b in a Fox 100 fork. If it works, I can save my money for a dedicated 29er to add to my stable. My old back needs my FS for long rides!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjones
    I am concerned that a reba +29er will make my FS Raleigh too slack. I did see a post that had 650b in a Fox 100 fork. If it works, I can save my money for a dedicated 29er to add to my stable. My old back needs my FS for long rides!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=363056

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks Kirk

Thanks Kirk,

That was the post to which I was referring. I am now on a mission to convince my LBS that this is more than a passing fad and order me the rim and rubber and spokes so I can make my 67.5er.

Members who have read this thread: 0