mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Shortest axle to crown for 96er conversion?

I've got a 26er hardtail frame collecting dust and am thinking of trying a 29" front wheel on it with a rigid fork. What's the shortest a-c for a fork that will accept a 29" wheel with, say, a Specialized Fast Trac or Ignitor tire? Was thinking a Kona Project 2 with 410mm a-c would be great as it wouldn't change the head angle much. But would a 29" wheel fit? I'm interested in what others have found to work...

mtbr member
    If you run the Fast Track or say a Kenda Karma 1.9 you need to have about 395mm for it to fit. This fork is about 395mm and the Karma fits w/ no problem. http://photo.xanga.com/Single_track_...867/photo.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbyker
    If you run the Fast Track or say a Kenda Karma 1.9 you need to have about 395mm for it to fit.
    I am not so sure about that. I have a P2 disc (bought for 26" wheels) and clearance is tight. The A-C isn't the problem -- there isn't much side to side clearance. The blades on the CF fork in the picture appear to be comparatively flat for a unicrown fork.

A 1.9 might fit in a P2, but I would wait for specific confirmation before proceeding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I am not so sure about that. I have a P2 disc (bought for 26" wheels) and clearance is tight. The A-C isn't the problem -- there isn't much side to side clearance. The blades on the CF fork in the picture appear to be comparatively flat for a unicrown fork.

A 1.9 might fit in a P2, but I would wait for specific confirmation before proceeding
    410mm is 15mm more than the fork in the pict., plenty of room, On a Pace 26" fork I used a 2.2" 29er on the front and had lots of room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbyker
    410mm is 15mm more than the fork in the pict., plenty of room, On a Pace 26" fork I used a 2.2" 29er on the front and had lots of room.
    The issue is not A-C, but the design of the crown and the shape of the blades. The P2 is a unicrown fork with blades that ovalize only slightly. This means that they will start to contact the corners of a tire as they curve inwards, even if there is plenty of room between the top of the tread and the crown. E.g. I have a Dimension Disc CX fork (steel, unicrown) that can't even clear a 45C Panaracer despite the 399mm A-C.

The construction of the Pace fork is completely different. The legs don't taper inwards. Also, the 26" Pace forks are 420mm or 440mm.

I have a P2 at work. If nobody else can confirm its clearance, I can test it against a Nano in the morning (smallest tire I have).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To further illustrate...

Here's a 420mm AC fork that doesn't adequately clear an Ignitor.
    As PBB stated, it depends on the design of the crown.

The issue is not A-C, but the design of the crown and the shape of the blades. The P2 is a unicrown fork with blades that ovalize only slightly. This means that they will start to contact the corners of a tire as they curve inwards, even if there is plenty of room between the top of the tread and the crown. E.g. I have a Dimension Disc CX fork (steel, unicrown) that can't even clear a 45C Panaracer despite the 399mm A-C.

The construction of the Pace fork is completely different. The legs don't taper inwards. Also, the 26" Pace forks are 420mm or 440mm.

I have a P2 at work. If nobody else can confirm its clearance, I can test it against a Nano in the morning (smallest tire I have).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I tried a 2.1" Motoraptor in the P2 and it wasn't even close to clearing, even at the crown. The crown itself takes up ~40mm of the a-c, so even the top of the tire would not fit.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

Get a Surly 1X1

Agreed - It's not the axle-to-crown measurement that would be the decider on a P2, but rather the sideways crown clearance.

I have 3 pairs of P2s (26 canti, 26 disc only, 700c CX disc). All around 395 to 410 (?)mm A-C. None of them will fit anything bigger than a touring tyre on a 700C rim.

But a Surly 1X1 disc fork works like an absolute dream with little effect upon the geometry(413mm A-C).

About 20mm vertical clearance above a WTB Nanoraptor (700/49/52) and plenty of clearance around the sides.

DM

mtbr member
    I just hooked up with an on-one superlight. Because it's segmented there's tons of room between the legs a 2.5 Weirwolf fits fine. A-C is a middle of the road @ 425. I tried my 1x1 fork but it was too tight A-C for my liking. I don't know how people are getting 395 or 410 A-C to work.

Members who have read this thread: 0