Scott Scale/Ghost Kato/Cannondale Trail/Trek X-Cal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Scott Scale/Ghost Kato/Cannondale Trail/Trek X-Cal

Yes, this is a “please give your opinion on the best bike for me” thread.

I’ve been riding trails for about a year, got back into cycling about 3 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. Currently have a 13 year old Specialized Rockhopper. The components are worn out and I want replace it with an above entry hard tail. I’m currently not that aggressive of a rider although I would like to be so. Racing is not in my future. I ride for enjoyment and fitness but do moderately push myself to improve my skills and speed and mostly ride “intermediate” trails, occasionally “advanced” and hope to be able to ride more of those as my skills improve. A 100-120 mm hard tail should fit my current needs.

These bikes are what I have been able to find and “ride” from LBS and REI. I demo’ed the Trek. The other 3 are from REI and will only be able to ride them in the parking lot—although I can always return them if not satisfied. I believe them to be similarly speced. The Ghost is a few hundred cheaper than the Scott and Trek. The Cannondale is about 100 more.

SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Scale 760 Bike
    GHOST BIKES:*Kato 5
    Trail 1 - TRAIL - TRAIL HARDTAILS - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015
    X-Caliber 7 - Trek Bicycle

I don’t think I’m that picky and will come down to price. With the Ghost being new to the US market, I’m leaning toward the Scott.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Scott

mtbr member
    I have the Ghost Kato FS 7, the next step up from the 5, and can say I really like the bike so far. No issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    if i was you id go with the scott, the scott really is an awesome bike for its price! but id also put the cannondale at the bottom of the list, i have one and a few friends also have em and they all suck. do not get one!
    2014 specialized crave pro frame custom built for xc
    2015 scott solace 20 for a bit of race training

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I ended up getting the Ghost. I was leaning toward he Scott till I rode it. The geometry had me hunched forward with a lot of weight on the handlebars. I had read about the aggressive geometry and now understand. Did not like the Cannondale at all. It felt very rigid. The lock out was difficult use and it was the most expensive. Came down the Trek and Ghost. For almost $300 less (with the REI discounts), the Ghost was hard to beat. Fit me well and has great components for the price. The only think I have concern about is the Fork. I could find no feedback on it all from the internet or the store, except for the salesman to say that it was not as good as the Cannondale and Scott.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good choice, I got a kato 6 pro after Xmas. Brill bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Welcome to the family, brother! Ghost make great bikes. Ive had three of them and only had one slight issue (had some spokes pop for no apparent reason) and it was warrantied within a couple days). Im sure you'll be very happy with it

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am in a similar situation, have a big gift card at REI.. I like the Ghost FS7, but I intend to get into multisport/AR, so weight is a concern, also looking at HT 29er's in Cannondale F29 and Scott Scale 935... any experience with these? thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @ Nuke 64 - looking the $1750 ghost full suspension REI has for my son. Seems like a lot of bike for the money. How has your ghost held up so far?

I am a little concerned about the fork ( sun tour I think) and the rear shock is a company in Santa Cruz (not fox or rockshox) need to research.

If others have experience with this bike please let me know

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHeckler View Post
    @ Nuke 64 - looking the $1750 ghost full suspension REI has for my son. Seems like a lot of bike for the money. How has your ghost held up so far?

I am a little concerned about the fork ( sun tour I think) and the rear shock is a company in Santa Cruz (not fox or rockshox) need to research.

I'm pretty sure it is an x-fusion rear shock. They make capable stuff, though I haven't had any first hand experience with their rear suspension. Their forks are pretty rad though.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHeckler View Post

I have the Kato 5 hardtail and it's been awesome and the service from REI has been great too. I have no complaints so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have the Kato fs7 and it is a awesome bike. You won't get another bike with almost completely Shimano XT at that price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the feed back on the ghost Kato. Thats probably the one we'll go with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm new here and I need a little help. I own a Trek 3700 WS 2006 and I'm looking to get a new bike this week. I looked into Trek X-Caliber 8, Ghost Kato 5 and the Co-Op 1.3. Unfortunately they don't have Demos to be tried at the trail so help and advice would be very, very grateful.