SB140 vs SB5- Mtbr.com

Thread: SB140 vs SB5

mtbr member

SB140 vs SB5

Looking at getting a top of the line like new SB5. would the SB140 be worth a couple thousand extra dollars with less specs? Anybody rode both? I'm in salt lake city btw.
    2018 Pivot LES 27.5
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    In my opinion...no. I owned a 2015 SB5 and a 2019. I loved those bikes but moved on to "other" bikes. I specifically sold the 2019 to move to the Ibis Ripmo and while it was great bike, it rode on the "bland" side for me. I missed the ability to throw it around and pop off anything and everything like I did with the SB5. Fast forward 8 months and I sold the Ripmo and I'm going back to a 27.5....pick up a 2020 Ibis HD5 tomorrow.

Before buying the HD5, I demo'd the SB140 and while the *geometry* of the bike IS better than the SB5, it didn't climb as fast and at least set up with 2.6 tires on my local SoCal trails, it wasn't as fun going down. I really wanted to try it with 2.4-2.5 tires but the demo shop wanted me to pay $20 for the shop time to switch them out. All that being said, I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought the 140 and I guarantee if you asked this question on the Yeti Owners FB page, you get an overwhelming response to get the SB140. Quite frankly, if I was going to buy a Yeti tomorrow, I'd get a leftover SB6. They were sexy as hell, climb almost as good as the SB5 but can be ridden ANYWHERE...Corner Canyon, Brian Head bike park, Hurricane, etc...without every missing a step.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    I'm up in Park City and have the SB5c, "brunch ride" with a 160 fork. I haven't ridden the SB140, though, so I can comment on the SB5, but I can't help with a comparison. I found that, for here and Moab my SB5 with 2.6" Nobby Nics worked really well, rode smoothly, climbed well, etc. I don't think it had any weaknesses. My wife is on the SB5 Turq and really loves it.

I have since moved on to the Giant Trance Pro 29, which does everything slightly better, for where and how I ride (my climb times are consistently better on the Wasatch back - on the heavier Giant - and I'm cleaning sections downhill in Moab I hadn't on the Yeti). If you're familiar with the Mid-mountain trail near The Canyons, the climbing right turn off of that onto the Ridge Connector is a good test of a bike's slow speed climbing/turning ability and though the SB5 is good here, the slightly longer wheelbase Giant is actually better. Climbing the more technical Sweeny's/John's trail locally is where the two bikes are closest in climbing ability up here near you. Sorry I can't help with input on the SB140, though. I'm sure they're available for demo locally.

mtbr member
    I went ahead and bought the SB5. Has a bit more travel(160) than I want, but I can ride lift service with it. Also will help me decide if I want that much travel on everyday bike.
    Cant really test ride in utah yet as I dont move until the 15th. I hate 29ers, but utah may convince me otherwise. Bobsled ends at my house, so will ride that a bunch. That's a perfect track for 27.5.
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by ElDuderino2412; 03-04-2020 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    I went ahead and bought the SB5. Has a bit more travel(160) than I want, but I can ride lift service with it. Also will help me decide if I want that much travel on everyday bike.
    Cant really test ride in utah yet as I dont move until the 15th. I hate 29ers, but utah may convince me otherwise. Bobsled ends at my house, so will ride that a bunch. That's a perfect track for 27.5.
    Thanks for the help
    The SB5 has 127mm of travel. If you mean the fork is upped to 160mm Vs. 150, I think you'll like it a lot.