Santa Cruz 5010 "R" or "S" Build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Santa Cruz 5010 "R" or "S" Build?

I'm thinking of buying an aluminum 2015 SC 5010 and not sure on which "build". The "R" build is $3,199 and has a Rockshox Sektor RL 130mm fork and a mix of Shimano XT, Deore and SRAM components. The "S" build is $4,299 and upgrades to all SLX, a Rockshox Pike RC 130mm fork and Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post. I weigh around 150 lbs, so not sure I need the beefed up fork. My riding is not nearly as aggressive since neck surgery earlier this year and I'm looking for a good "all around" mountain bike and the 5010 seems to fit the bill. Is it worth the extra $1,100 for the "S" build? I realize that most of it is for the Stealth dropper post and upgraded fork, as well as better brakes. I appreciate any suggestions and comments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tsfdirect View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an aluminum 2015 SC 5010 and not sure on which "build". The "R" build is $3,199 and has a Rockshox Sektor RL 130mm fork and a mix of Shimano XT, Deore and SRAM components. The "S" build is $4,299 and upgrades to all SLX, a Rockshox Pike RC 130mm fork and Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post. I weigh around 150 lbs, so not sure I need the beefed up fork. My riding is not nearly as aggressive since neck surgery earlier this year and I'm looking for a good "all around" mountain bike and the 5010 seems to fit the bill. Is it worth the extra $1,100 for the "S" build? I realize that most of it is for the Stealth dropper post and upgraded fork, as well as better brakes. I appreciate any suggestions and comments.
    If you have the cash, I would say yes. The Pike alone is $1000, reverb is $400, and I don't know how much the upgrade would be on the drivetrain, but you get the picture. Also, those are upgrades that will significantly improve your riding experience, not just give you bragging rights trailside.

mtbr member
    Either way the SC 5010 is a capable bike and if you buy the base model, upgrades down the road are always fun, and ebay makes them easier and affordable, with patience you can find Revelation forks for $400 and Pike for $600.
    2015 Intense Tracer 275C
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010C XT
    2015 Niner RIP 9
    2012 Specialized Camber 29
    2003 Giant Warp DS3

mtbr member
    "S". I demo'ed a Tallboy LT with the "R" build and was unimpressed by the Sektor RL and I am a big RS fan. I'm planning on buying a TBLTc with the "S" kit.

mtbr member
    I'd make the decision based on two questions:

1. How important is having the nicer Pike fork?
    2. Do you want or need a dropper post?

If you're happy with the Sektor fork and you don't care about the dropper post (I personally would not pay extra for one), then there's no reason to get the more expensive model. The remaining "upgrades" are fine but nothing amazing. You could buy the less expensive model and spend $500 to make it a lot lighter/better, or pocked the entire $1100 difference and be happy.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If I go with the less expensive build, what changes should I make to make it "a lot lighter/better"?. I'm not concerned about a couple pounds of weight. Also, any thoughts on Santa Cruz's mid-grade carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's all about the fork and the dropper post. Those are the only two components that make the 'S' better than the 'R' version. The carbon 'R' version will be lighter but same component group are the Aluminum version. If weight is a factor I'd go carbon 'R' and eventually buy a dropper seat post.

mtbr member
    You should get the Carbon R and like I said before, upgrade down the road.
    2015 Intense Tracer 275C
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010C XT
    2015 Niner RIP 9
    2003 Giant Warp DS3

mtbr member
    If I go with the less expensive build, what changes should I make to make it "a lot lighter/better"?. I'm not concerned about a couple pounds of weight. Also, any thoughts on Santa Cruz's mid-grade carbon frame?
    The stock seat post, handlebar, and stem can be replaced to save weight. The Deore brakes work fine but are heavy. The stock wheels are heavy - you can save weight and increase performance by upgrading the wheels.

I bought the lower end speced carbon frame (from last year) and went from 30.5 pounds to less than 27 for not a whole lot of money.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    The stock seat post, handlebar, and stem can be replaced to save weight. The Deore brakes work fine but are heavy. The stock wheels are heavy - you can save weight and increase performance by upgrading the wheels.

I bought the lower end speced carbon frame (from last year) and went from 30.5 pounds to less than 27 for not a whole lot of money.
    Thanks for your input. I'm not really concerned with the weight between the aluminum and carbon frames. Not sure the heavier carbon is worth $400 more than the aluminum and that I'll be able to tell a difference. I'm thinking about the Carbon C with the stock "R" building and upgrading the brakes to SLX right away.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input. I'm not really concerned with the weight between the aluminum and carbon frames. Not sure the heavier carbon is worth $400 more than the aluminum and that I'll be able to tell a difference. I'm thinking about the Carbon C with the stock "R" building and upgrading the brakes to SLX right away.
    The Carbon "R" is the basic carbon, then comes the "S", then the pricier ones XT, X01 and XXI
    2015 Intense Tracer 275C
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010C XT
    2015 Niner RIP 9
    2003 Giant Warp DS3

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for all the input. So I ordered an aluminum 5010 today (2014 frame) with full Shimano XT build, Pike front fork and reverb stealth dropper post. I think I got a great deal at $3,800 total. Should be here within a couple weeks.

mtbr member

Santa Cruz 5010 "R" or "S" Build?

sweet ride!