Santa Cruz 5010 aluminum R build vs. S build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Santa Cruz 5010 aluminum R build vs. S build

I'm looking to buy the Santa Cruz 5010 in aluminum. I'm looking at the R build and the S build. Since this is my first serious mountain bike, I'm not sure what is a better value. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Can't go wrong either way, but the S has better forks, slightly better drivetrain, better brakes, better wheels, a better dropper, and is over a full pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a friend that is considering that choice and I'm pushing her towards the S model. The R model will need a immediate upgrade of the brakes I figure. I also suggested asking for a xo1 shifter put on the S and it should be good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    Can't go wrong either way, but the S has better forks, slightly better drivetrain, better brakes, better wheels, a better dropper, and is over a full pound lighter.
    Thanks. Yeah, I guess at this point, another $600 is a drop in the bucket. My sense is to prioritize components over the frame. Meaning, I could get an R in carbon, or an S in aluminum for the same price. That's reasonable, right?

I also feel like for my first modern, full-suspension mountain bike, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to commit to carbon. It feels like I'm getting ahead of myself...that can be for my second bike, maybe. All in due time.

mtbr member
    S build in alum. is a no brainer over the R c IMO, because the performance gains in the build equip. will make a much bigger difference than any perceivable benefit in frame material. -.5 lbs, and a little more stiffness isn't worth it, and probably imperceivable to you.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    S build in alum. is a no brainer over the R c IMO, because the performance gains in the build equip. will make a much bigger difference than any perceivable benefit in frame material. -.5 lbs, and a little more stiffness isn't worth it, and probably imperceivable to you.
    Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

mtbr member
    This is slightly off track but after a decade on a higher end carbon road bike (Giant OCR C1), I bought a higher end aluminum road bike last year (Cannondale CAAD 12 Ultegra) and find I actually like the ride of a contemporary aluminum frame better then the older carbon. Also, the new bike is almost two pounds lighter then the previous one which does matter in a road bike.

So much has to do with the builder and being a Santa Cruz fan and owner of a 5010 C V1 with an R build, I would not worry about an aluminum Santa Cruz frame. Santa Cruz is a reputable company and when they do something, they usually do it right.

I'm starting to look at my next mountain bike from Santa Cruz and aluminum is definitely an option I would consider if offered in the bike I finally choose.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and I can't give you facts and figures why one material is objectively better then the other but when I ride, its all pretty much subjective anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    This is slightly off track but after a decade on a higher end carbon road bike (Giant OCR C1), I bought a higher end aluminum road bike last year (Cannondale CAAD 12 Ultegra) and find I actually like the ride of a contemporary aluminum frame better then the older carbon. Also, the new bike is almost two pounds lighter then the previous one which does matter in a road bike.

So much has to do with the builder and being a Santa Cruz fan and owner of a 5010 C V1 with an R build, I would not worry about an aluminum Santa Cruz frame. Santa Cruz is a reputable company and when they do something, they usually do it right.

I'm starting to look at my next mountain bike from Santa Cruz and aluminum is definitely an option I would consider if offered in the bike I finally choose.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and I can't give you facts and figures why one material is objectively better then the other but when I ride, its all pretty much subjective anyway.
    Thanks. Yes, I can see carbon more for road or doing triathlons, which I used to do. Bottom line, is I trust SC and want to buy local

Thanks all. Super helpful....big investment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    hello, this has topic has got my interest as I'm looking at a 5010 also. I'm not sure which way to go either. sticker shock is in my mind as I started with a $3,000 budget. I was comparing the 5010 to the giant trance 2 but it's a 29er and I'm unsure if I should just wait and save more money to step up a bit in price range for better components.
    my 2 choices would be the giant or the sc5010 because I really like my local shop and get great service and help. I currently ride a giant stance 1 (2016). I'm planning on letting my wife have my bike and getting me one of the bikes I mention above.
    so what do you guys think of the entry level 5010 vs saving up for the S version? I'm pretty sure I want to stay with aluminum. a friend has the sc high tower in carbon and it looks great but he's always really worried after a crash. also I'm not 100% sure if I want a 27.5 or 29 but that's more info to my already confused brain. but realistically I would say my budget cap for this will have to top out at $4,000. so I may be waiting until 2020 to make a purchase. so at this point I'm dreaming and trying to learn.
    thanks
    rob

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I was going to buy an aluminum S build but got a killer deal on a carbon R build, couldn't pass it up. All things equal, S build for sure if you have the $ for it.

I was ok with the R build though because I knew I was going to change out the brakes, wheels, and rear shock so whatever. I don't my the FOX 34 Rhythm, but that will upgraded more than likely.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP