Live Free & Ride

Running 2.6 tires - not plus

Is anyone running the new breed of high volume 27.5 x 2.6 tires yet. IMO not quite plus but beefier than standard tires. Should fit most AM bikes along with some 29ers. Looking at the Rocket Ron 2.6 and some of the new Spec tires. Any setups with good results?

There is also this thread but still looking....

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...s-1020099.html

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis...ions-2017.html
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

Live Free & Ride
    Been looking at the lighter side of these 2.6 tires coming out. The Rocket Ron is claimed to be @ 735 g. - maybe too light for a high volume tire?

Then there is the new Smart Sam claiming between 850 and the Double Defense at a hefty 930 g. Could be real good for dry to hard pack!

Also Michelin has some yet to be released 2.6 Force AM tires coming in at a more reasonable 830 g.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/four-n...irst-ride.html

Getting excited about these tweener sizes that should be followed soon by 29er!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

Anytime. Anywhere.
    27.5 +- is going to be my next winter tire setup, probably the new 2.6 Minions. Not too big, not too small. 27.5 +- is my term, just sayin.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Live Free & Ride
    I like it...27.5+-

Yeah, looking for a decent all around true to size 2.6 rear tire. Hoping these will eventually materalize and shine as more tires develop. High hopes for a durable but lighter weight tire in the 780-860 g, like a Rocket Ron. I would really like to see one on a bike and a thorough review, but its still early in the season. The new Minions look awesome btw!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Running 2.6 tires - not plus

I just got a 2.6 Maxxis Rekon to try on my Ibis HD3. Hoping to run it front and rear if it fits in the back, but I haven't had a chance to mount it yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    I just got a 2.6 Maxxis Rekon to try on my Ibis HD3. Hoping to run it front and rear if it fits in the back, but I haven't had a chance to mount it yet.
    Could you give us a bead to bead measurement?

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'll have to remember to bring calipers to Interbike later this year. I've got specs on several 2.6 tires at https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...axxis-schwalbe but realized this week as well that it would be helpful to get casing width, knob-to-knob width & height measurements as well to gauge fit in frames and forks.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm on vacation until Sunday. Hopefully someone else can help in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just put a 2.6 Rocket Ron liteskin on the back of my anthem. Haven't rode it yet, I wanted to see it if fit on the rear before I ordered a 2.8 for the front. The 2.6 feels really light, time will tell on the durability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I tested a Spec Butcher Grid 2.6 for about 120 miles. Overall it's a nice tire. The Grid casing is similar to EXO and this tire weighing just a few grams less than a 2.5 DHF EXO supports that as well.

It had one massive problem that I could not get over. The transition zone between side knobs and center tread is massive. This empty zone grew a lot from the 2.3 version to this new 2.6 version, so much so that I had moments of being too nervous to lean the bike because I knew the front was going to slide. I originally tested with 29mm ID rims and figured the round profile was causing some of the sketchy feeling so I switched to 35mm ID to square the tire a little but no luck. That transition zone is just too massive for me to stay confident with.

I also tried a 2.8 nobby nic on a 30mm ID rear rim but the tire was like a balloon waiting to burst off. It was far too large for the rim to the point that it was just ridiculous. For a Schwalbe 2.8, I think it needs a 40mm rim.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about ordering 2.6" purgatory and ground controls for my 17 camber. But after its maiden ride, the 2.3s really feel good. I'm unsure if the benefits of a wider tire outweigh the drawbacks or not. Looking forward to reading more ride reviews and comparisons.

mtbr member
    My rear triangle maxes out at 2.3 or 2.4" but I'm thinking about matching that to a 2.6" up front! I like traction...

Live Free & Ride
    Keep an eye out for even more Maxxis 2.6 tires. Pinkbike just revealed, in addtion to the Minion, Rekon & Forkaster, there will be a 27.5 x 2.6 Ardent Race for xc riders/racers!

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/vernonfel...ycle-show.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

oh Jolina!!!
    The guys at the Plus tires sub forum have been running 2.6 high volume tires since they came out.

You guys who are keen on trying those out might want to ask the question in the other sub-forums.

They might give you a good detail on how much pressure they run those tires and how tall they are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I wouldn't call the 2.6 Rekon a plus tire. Just mounted it on an Atomik 26mm internal width rim. Forgot to get a bead to bead measurement, but knob width at 30psi was about 2.45" and casing about 2.4". Fits fine on the back of my Mojo HD3 non-boost.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    I wouldn't call the 2.6 Rekon a plus tire. Just mounted it on an Atomik 26mm internal width rim. Forgot to get a bead to bead measurement, but knob width at 30psi was about 2.45" and casing about 2.4". Fits fine on the back of my Mojo HD3 non-boost.
    Maxxis is calling their 2.4 - 2.6 tires "Wide Trail", and recommending 30 - 35mm inner width rims. So, yeah, Maxxis doesn't consider 2.6 to be a plus tire.
    And, I've measured that tire on wider rims, and it gets closer to 2.6" wide with an i35 rim.

Live Free & Ride
    ^^^FYI...anything under 2.8 is NON-Plus! 2.6 is just another "tire size" imo.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    ^^^FYI...anything under 2.8 is NON-Plus! 2.6 is just another "tire size" imo.
    Yeah, let's call it 'tweener mid-plus half-fat.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Yeah, let's call it 'tweener mid-plus half-fat.
    yea that's it, sorta..

Bipolar roller
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Maxxis is calling their 2.4 - 2.6 tires "Wide Trail", and recommending 30 - 35mm inner width rims. So, yeah, Maxxis doesn't consider 2.6 to be a plus tire.
    And, I've measured that tire on wider rims, and it gets closer to 2.6" wide with an i35 rim.
    Maxxis says that they take the tire width measurement with the max PSI. So if they recommend the tires for 30-35i rims they will put the tire on an i35mm rim and pump the tire up to the max recommended PSI and take then tire width measurment.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Maxxis says that they take the tire width measurement with the max PSI. So if they recommend the tires for 30-35i rims they will put the tire on an i35mm rim and pump the tire up to the max recommended PSI and take then tire width measurement.
    sadly that does not equate to on the trail experience as very few if anyone will use max PSI, hence of no use. as for rim fitment for 2.6 i'll venture an unedumacated guess at i30 and no wider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    sadly that does not equate to on the trail experience as very few if anyone will use max PSI, hence of no use. as for rim fitment for 2.6 i'll venture an unedumacated guess at i30 and no wider.
    It's not really even important. I've spent thousands of dollars on rims and tires in the past 6 months and I'm still mediocre and have the race results to prove it. Meanwhile my buddy throws whatever he can get a hold of onto his bike, currently narrow 22mm rims and heavy dhf 2.3 double down tires, and wins everything. He moved to Open class and continues winning. It's amazing.

Forget sweating the details of tire size. Develop your skills and you'll have more fun than anything else can do for you.

oh Jolina!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    It's not really even important. I've spent thousands of dollars on rims and tires in the past 6 months and I'm still mediocre and have the race results to prove it. Meanwhile my buddy throws whatever he can get a hold of onto his bike, currently narrow 22mm rims and heavy dhf 2.3 double down tires, and wins everything. He moved to Open class and continues winning. It's amazing.

Forget sweating the details of tire size. Develop your skills and you'll have more fun than anything else can do for you.
    But the Industry said wider tires, wider carbon rims and boost axles equals "FUN"!!!!
    It's all about FUN right? FUN............. *hypnotoad.gif*

nvphatty

actually it is to those who ride recreationally(no racing)and paring the proper width rim/tire together equates to copious amounts of fun factor.

mtbr member
    I tested a Spec Butcher Grid 2.6 for about 120 miles. Overall it's a nice tire. The Grid casing is similar to EXO and this tire weighing just a few grams less than a 2.5 DHF EXO supports that as well.

It had one massive problem that I could not get over. The transition zone between side knobs and center tread is massive. This empty zone grew a lot from the 2.3 version to this new 2.6 version, so much so that I had moments of being too nervous to lean the bike because I knew the front was going to slide. I originally tested with 29mm ID rims and figured the round profile was causing some of the sketchy feeling so I switched to 35mm ID to square the tire a little but no luck. That transition zone is just too massive for me to stay confident with.

I also tried a 2.8 nobby nic on a 30mm ID rear rim but the tire was like a balloon waiting to burst off. It was far too large for the rim to the point that it was just ridiculous. For a Schwalbe 2.8, I think it needs a 40mm rim.
    I just put on a Butcher Grid 2.6 (2.52 actually) on my Fox 36 15 x 100 last night and rode it 20 miles this morning. I didn't think about the big gap and didn't notice anything weird about the traction while turning. The bike seemed a bit more stable on the downhill rocky sections but maybe only because I expected a head angle change.

Fast banked corners seemed even better than the Butcher Grid 2.3. I tested traction on a short steep section of sand over hard pack with great results. (No, I didn't go over the bars -- not THAT much traction.)

The only thing that I didn't like is that the bigger version tire is a bit bouncy compared with the 2.3. That might be just because my fork has a bit too much stiction, though.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post

The only thing that I didn't like is that the bigger version tire is a bit bouncy compared with the 2.3. That might be just because my fork has a bit too much stiction, though.
    this is why most forks have rebound adjusters to help reduce or eliminate such bouncy effects.