Rotor rubbing while turning, boost spacing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Rotor rubbing while turning, boost spacing

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out what to do about my rotor rubbing issue. The caliper is properly adjusted, but when I lay the bike over to turn the rotor starts tinging. I weigh 280, and the bike is a yt jeffsy with a fox 34 front shock. Ive only got two rides in on it but the other bikes I have/had didnt do it. Im guessing it is the flex in the fork, but Im not sure if its something I should worry about. I did a search but all those talk about qr's and I have a 15mm axle.
    Thanks for any help!!

mtbr member
    What hubs are on your wheels? My DT 350's occasionally have this issue. The end caps aren't as snug to the hub and the hub can shift under lateral load.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I believe it is the 370 hubs. I know they are the cheaper end of the line. I run hope's on my 29+ stache, and I get no flexing. Im thinking its just the cheaper hubs, and the fork is a little flexier than my manitou mattoc pro on the stache.

mtbr member
    It's definitely the end caps. The 370 and 350 end caps are just seated into the hub and have a bit of play causing the hub to shift in the fork making the rotor rub.My 350's have a retainer ring around the end cap see if you can seat the retainer ring a little tighter that should help.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I think I actually found the issue. I pulled the wheel and noticed the caps have play in them. I dont see any way to tighten them up. On the hopes they are super tight, these have probably 1/16 wiggle in them. I think they are moving allowing the wheel itself to move. Looks like a new wheelset in my future, my wife will love that!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I replied before seeing your reply! Were at the same conclusion. I tried seating the rings and I think they are all the way in. The hope end caps fit much tighter. I guess Ill be living with it for a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It is probably just frame flex and nothing to worry about.

My 18 year old v-brakes rub as do both my newer disc brakes (Sram and Shimano).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk72 View Post
    I replied before seeing your reply! Were at the same conclusion. I tried seating the rings and I think they are all the way in. The hope end caps fit much tighter. I guess Ill be living with it for a while.
    My Hope end caps fit much tighter. Kinda cheesy of DT Swiss to build them that way especially considering the cost of a DT Swiss hub compared to Hope. I used a punch to snug mine down and it helped but didn't completely eliminate it. Just make sure the end cap is centered and gently, I do mean gently tap the retainer ring down. I say gently because the retainer ring is very soft. If you can find a socket that fits well that would be the best way to go. Mine doesn't rub when turning but will rub after bombing through a rock garden sometimes. I'll just throw this out there I have a set of DT XM521 that I'm looking to sell they have less than ten rides on them they're in like new condition. They're XM521 hoops on Hope pro4 hubs boost w/DT comp spokes 32 hole.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for letting me know! My wife has put me on a bike/bike accessory hiatus lol. Iíll have to try tapping it down with a socket. I took it out and just got back from a quick ride and tightening the thru axle helped some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    delete
    Last edited by Skyhawk72; 01-28-2019 at 05:00 AM. Reason: delete