Roscoe 6 vs DRT 1.3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Roscoe 6 vs DRT 1.3

Newbie here, shopping for first bike... I was seriously considering picking up the Roscoe 6, which is on sale for $850. I like the idea of the plus size tires and the 1X drivtrain.

Then I noticed REI has the DRT 1.3 on sale for $860. It doesn't have the plus size tires or the 1X, but it does have an air fork, which seems to be a great improvement vs the coil from everything I've read. With a 2X and a remote lockout for the fork, would the handlebars be too crowded for a dropper lever?

Between the two, which would you recommend, and why? Thanks. I plan to ride local trails with no huge climbs or descents and nothing too technical. I'm sure I could get better bikes or components for more $ but this is the top of my price range at this time.

mtbr member
    You could always convert to 1x by going to a single narrow wide chaining in the front which can be had for $30 and up. Then just pull the front shifter and derailleur off. As for tire size that is going to be a personal preference. Each has its own merits. Air fork will definitely be better than a coil fork.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I went to see check them out this weekend but it was pouring rain so I didnít get to ride either. Trek store only had the Roscoe 7 in stock, which I really liked but itís more than I want to spend. Just sitting on them, the Roscoe felt like a better fit. Hope to get back this weekend for parking lot rides or possibly demo the Roscoe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I did not ride the DRT1.3 or the Roscoe, but I did test ride the DRT1.2 vs the Marlin 7 as well as some others (Giant, Cannondale, Specialized). I thought the DRT1.2 was much more comfortable than the others but was close to the Marlin 7. I did buy the DRT1.2 instead of the Marlin 7, it was just more comfortable to ride. Have put a couple hundred miles on it since July, it was been working very well.

I did buy the DRT1.2 instead of the DRT1.3 because an aftermarket air fork can be had for less than the Suntour air fork on the DRT1.3 price differential. Granted the DRT1.3 also comes with the better hubs, better tires, and better cranks than the DRT1.2, but I didn't really care so much about those.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I ended up getting the Roscoe 6. Looking at them again and some parking lot rides I just felt more comfortable on the Roscoe. I took it out last weekend for my first real trail ride and i enjoyed it a lot.