mtbr member

rode the new jamis today and....

the bb is very low. i had a pedal strike in the parking lot. Buddy owns a bike shop and the rep was there with it and the new 29er.

Just turning in the parking lot i drug a pedal.

measured the bb and it was under 13 inches...

Ovaries on the Outside
    How far under? If it is lower than 13 and higher than 12 it shouldn't be a big issue? What sort of pedals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    the bb is very low. i had a pedal strike in the parking lot. Buddy owns a bike shop and the rep was there with it and the new 29er.

Measured the bb height while the bike was unloaded or was someone sitting on it? Sounds like maybe there was to much sag in the suspension?
    Last edited by J-RAD; 08-31-2009 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah something is amiss there. The BB on my 1x1 is 12" (up from ~11.4) and I ride through a fair number of rock gardens without issues.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    it had platfrom pedals.

the fork felt funny so to be fair i'm thinking it was underinflated so thats prolly the reason it hit.

the bike is badass though for sure....

Ovaries on the Outside
    I could see platforms being a huge part of the pedal strike, especially if they are big and meeeaty.

artistic...

12in is GOOD bb height.
    13 is a bit on the tall side.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

tl1
    Bicyclist

That's what...

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    12 inch is good.
    13 is a bit on the tall side.
    ...she said.

nothing relevant to say
    <s>The Velvet is a fickle fork. It really needs to be setup to rider weight. It isn't a fork just anoyone can jump on and ride. It took about half a dozen rides before mine was tuned to where I like. Next time check the sag (as mentioned before), and air pressure. If it was a Rep's bike it was probably tuned for him (or not setup at all).
    A 13" bb is high for a purpose built 650B. hopefully it will be around 12.125" or a little less when compressed.</s>

I was thinking of the wrong bike....
    Last edited by Cracked Headtube; 09-02-2009 at 05:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    The Velvet is a fickle fork. It really needs to be setup to rider weight. It isn't a fork just anoyone can jump on and ride. It took about half a dozen rides before mine was tuned to where I like. Next time check the sag (as mentioned before), and air pressure. If it was a Rep's bike it was probably tuned for him (or not setup at all).
    A 13" bb is high for a purpose built 650B. hopefully it will be around 12.125" or a little less when compressed.
    Don't the new Jamis's feature White Bros forks?

nothing relevant to say
    doh. yes indeed. I was reading about the KHS before coming back to this thread. whoops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    doh. yes indeed. I was reading about the KHS before coming back to this thread. whoops.
    Figured it was something like that!

I would kinda like to see Jamis use the Velvet on their lower-spec'd. model, tho, and improve the rest of the components...

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    Hitting the pedal ont he Jamis could have been an improper sag adjustment on both front & rear fork. I rode the same bike (I am a dealer of jamis) and ran it over a few good bumps. Have to say I liked it, then again I have to say that, I sell them. No really it was a great handling bike. The geometry of that bike is designed after the Dakar XCT (5in bike) which has been getting praise for its handling capability. I find the same attributes pleasing me witht he XAM that i run in XC races. Handles great, soaks up terrain, no pedal bob........then add a bigger wheel. I am sold.

mtbr member
    The XCT 3 was tested in this months MBA and they said it was the WORST handling bike they have tested all year.

What got me was the fork was low on air,headset loose ect. why would they bring this to a dealer to ride??

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    This is the review of the XCT from Decline Aug 09

The XCT has a great pedaling chassis that feels more “cross-country” than most all-mountain bikes. The seat angle caters to aggressive pedaling and the uninterrupted seat tube allows for a full range of saddle height adjustment. The head angle will prompt you
    to make use of the Talas travel adjuster on climbs and you might even like using it on
    slower terrain to provide quicker handling. Jamis designed the XCT to be a bike
    that you “set and forget,” so once you set the shock sag, the bike is ready to
    ride. The Float R shock doesn’t feature a ProPedal lever and comes set up with the
    ProPedal threshold level already tuned. The stock setup gives the bike a firm
    feel at the pedals that propels it forward with minimal bob from the suspension.
    Would the XCT be a better bike with a ProPedal adjuster? Probably not. It might
    allow for a slightly more sensitive setup but it would change the character of the
    bike by requiring the rider to manually turn the ProPedal adjuster on and off rather
    than the automatic feel of the stock setup. Greatest Hits The low BB and relaxed
    head angle make the XCT much more comfortable at speed than typical 130mmtravel
    bikes. In fact, it may take a little adjustment time before you tap into the
    potential of the bike, especially when speeding down rugged trails. It skips over
    rocks and roots, and carves high-speed singletrack like it’s on rails. The firm feel
    of the suspension tiptoes the line between cross-country and all-mountain, creating a
    well-balanced ride that can handle rowdy terrain. We were impressed with how well
    the front end navigates steep sections and plows over bumps. Even though the BB is
    lower than most bikes, it only takes a little awareness to avoid whacking the pedals on
    rocks and it make the bike feel very stable. Overall, the XCT is a bike made for technical
    trails that wills you to pick up the pace.
    OVERVIEW
    Born from the efficient XCR chassis design,
    Jamis gave the XCT 130mm of travel, a slack
    head angle and low bottom bracket height to
    make it an all-around trail machine. With the
    help of the adjustable travel fork on climbs,
    the suspension has a firm feel that effectively
    covers terrain while the geometry makes the
    bike more comfortable on rough trails.

The XCT 3 was tested in this months MBA and they said it was the WORST handling bike they have tested all year.

What got me was the fork was low on air,headset loose ect. why would they bring this to a dealer to ride??

mtbr member
    The XCT 3 was tested in this months MBA and they said it was the WORST handling bike they have tested all year...
    Hmmm, sounds as though Jamis better rethink, reorganize, take a hard look at the numbers, and somehow try to spend more advertising money at MBA!

Seriously, though-handling feel is kind of subjective. I could see if they put a cross-country-oriented tester on it, maybe right after he'd spent some time on some short travel rocket, he might not like the way the Jamis feels. But I test rode one ('09, 26" wheeled model) and it just carved the turns and downhills, very precise and comfortable, and was a competent pedaler on the flats and climbs. I thought it was a pretty impressive setup!

mtbr member

If you had them retest it, with Specialized stickers, you would have gotten a different result.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was this just a loop around the parking lot or was there some real dirt time?

mtbr member
    I would disregard the OP...sounds like the bike wasn't set-up at all. It wouldn't be hard to imagine there being way too little air in the fork & shock for this guy's weight and 50% sag. (not saying he's big, but that no one bothered to pump them up)

Not sure why someone would bother to post it in the first place. I applaud Jamis for sticking there neck out to do a 650b dualie. IMHO, full suspension is where the 650b size can reach it's full potential.

No reason to post a half-ass review that says nothing.

mtbr member
    half assed???

never said it was a full review. Only that i rode it and had a pedal strike.

And usally when a rep brings by an all new bike for a freakin bike shop owner to ride at least have air in the forks and the headset tight right????

loud hubs save lives
    Well Gted rode it at the outdoor demo today, so hopefully he'll give us some impressions soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0