Thread: Rocky Mtn

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Rocky Mtn

Will the altitude (50 or 30) be enough of a bike to do the occasional highland trip? Probably 5-6 times a year. I ride mostly xc also (2-3 times a week during the summer), so its making for a hard decision because I also want something dh capable. Also, would it handle a week of Ayr Academy (Its the Highland DH camp). Im doing it, but i only have an xc bike and its 600 bucks to rent a dh for a week, so i think im gonna buy because its time for a new bike anyways! Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Altitude is a really nice bike. I almost bought one, but bought a Norco Range since it was a more of an all mountain bike. When looking into the Altitude I found this video and it sums up the Altitudes ability. Enjoy
    Video: Fourtitude - Four Riders + Rocky Mountain Altitude - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zridermtb View Post
    The Altitude is a really nice bike. I almost bought one, but bought a Norco Range since it was a more of an all mountain bike. When looking into the Altitude I found this video and it sums up the Altitudes ability. Enjoy
    Video: Fourtitude - Four Riders + Rocky Mountain Altitude - Pinkbike
    Funny, I had a very similar experience and also went with the Norco Range. I had been thinking that the Altitude would be the long travel bike for me. I also was looking at the aluminum 750. After demoing the altitude and talking with the Rocky Mountain guys I was even more unsure of the large or extra large would be better for me (I am 6'1) due to the shorter top tube length. I didn't have enough time to fully flesh out which would work better and the Norco Range came into the picture. I ride chunky tucson trails and was also looking for a good bike to handle the chunk, could pedal well up but would shred the down. Having a scott spark 29 that is more geared for xc, but could handle chunky downs pretty well I was really looking for an addition to the quiver. The Norco filled that perfectly and I am really stoked on it.

That being said, I think the Altitude is an amazing bike that will do a lot of things well and is really geared to go down but also pedal very well. The ride 9 technology makes it a super adaptable bike. If I had to go with only one bike, this would definitely be my choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    But would it be enough for some lift dh at a mtn? (highland)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I haven't riden Highland, but the bike could handle some flow trails and jumping but it is not a real downhill bike. How hard you ride and your need for a DH bike is up to you. If you only ride DH a few times a year then just rent.
    Last edited by Zridermtb; 03-29-2014 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the Altitude 750 MSL and really like it. I ride rocky/rooty east coast singletrack and have found it to be just right for me. The main reason I got it was because I wanted to have a trailbike and also a bike for more all mountain pursuits. The ride 9 geometry settings will hopefully allow me to do both. Sure I probably don't need 6 inches of travel for my local singletrack but I really wanted one bike to do it all. Due to all of the snow I have only had the opportunity to ride it on my local singletrack but hope to test it out at the Hoo Ha Enduro race this summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I rode the 770 today at a demo in southern Utah and its quite the burly bike. I did gooseberry mesa, which is just a bunch of slick rock, nothing really too serious downhill, but plenty of very quick and steep descents and its was very confidence inspiring. Areas where I would feel very very uncomfortable on my 29er, I was just destroying them on this bike. I would say its very capable of doing some lift runs, bike park, and pretty much anything you throw at it short of the craziness that goes on at rampage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a rocky man altitude 730. It is my first FS rig and I have taken it down hill a couple of times and had no issues.

I did bottom out my suspension when I crashed once, but I am a porky boy.......

I allies the bike to ride some xc, and it is not the lightest thing out there, but I always get to the top of the hill, eventually.

I am about 6 feet and the large did feel like a big bike. Over the winter I put a dropper on it and a shorter stem, looking forward to riding it.

Should also mention, the ride9 system, changes the geometry somewhat, it is noticeable to me.

I am a one bike kind of guy and was looking for a bike that does a bit of everything, which means you have to give up a bit of everything. Bike seems very solid......want the snow to go away so bad......

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im not too worried about weight because my xc bike ways more than the altitude.... 32.7 vs 30.1.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I have been to Highland a few times with a Mojo HD and while the bike did fine and we both survived, I am building a real DH bike for this season. The jumps and braking bumps just beat the heck out of trail bikes. If I were you, I would take a look at the Canfield Balance or this: Guerrilla Gravity MEGATRAIL - Aggressive Trail Bike for Enduro Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bike is definitely not the lightest as mine initially weighed in at 30.9 lbs with trail xt pedals. Keep in mind this bike came stock with big mountain king 2.4 tires, a dropper, and bombproof raceface components. Out of the box it is ready to handle some serious stuff. I have made some modifications since I more trail bike oriented and got light bicycle carbon wheels, carbon handlebar, and I am soon to be going 1 by 10 with a Next SL crankset. I also swapped out the rear tire with a 2.25 Nobby Nic. I am hoping to get it in the mid 27lb range by that point.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ride a 2013element 950 with 120/4inch travel and it eats anything i throw at it, save for rider error.

That said, the new Thunderbolt also looks good Thunderbolt | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mtn-bike2.jpg  

Rocky Mtn-bike3.jpg