mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Standover Height

Hello,

I am looking at buy a medium Thunderbolt BC Edition but am concerned about the standover height. I'm 5'6.5" tall with a 31.5 inseam so the 802mm listed standover is concerning.

Can anyone comment on this? Even their small frame has the same 802 standover which seems really tall.

Thanks,
    Mark

Having a nice day!
    I don't think I'd fret over getting a medium. I'm 5'8" but with 30" inseam and I've never seen a medium I couldn't make work. Just watched this video from Jason over at MTB Yum Yum on the Thunderbolt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNg9kENvM0). I didn't watch the whole thing to hear him say what size he was on, but he is around our size and usually rides a medium as well.

Edit...just watched it and he is riding a medium

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I test rode a Thunderbolt BC a few weekends ago. I'm 5'9 with a 31-32" inseam, and I believe the RM demo tech put me on a medium frame, which felt just fine. With your legs, you'll probably be fine, too.

Of the bikes I tested (Thunderbolt BC, Instinct, Element), the Thunderbolt was my favorite. Great trail bike, very fun to throw around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input, you guys are awesome. I was able to find a medium thunderbolt locally and demoed it....man it was a blast to ride. Fit my size perfectly. Not sure how Rocky Mountain is coming up with their stand over heights but they are way off. If I went purely by the chart I'd have not even given it a chance.

And now for the disappointing news....decided to order the frame yesterday. Went to my LBS and put down the cash for the red and grey Thunderbolt BC and today they came back saying Rocky Mountain doesn't sell the BC frame in red and grey even though it is advertised on their website. Rocky Mountain told them I'd have to buy a complete bike or get the black and turquoise frame. Unfortunately looks are important and I'm not down with the Yeti paint scheme unless it's on a yeti so it's a deal breaker for me. Now thinking I'll just get and actual Yeti SB5 or go back to a 5010. Thoughts??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post
    Thanks for the input, you guys are awesome. I was able to find a medium thunderbolt locally and demoed it....man it was a blast to ride. Fit my size perfectly. Not sure how Rocky Mountain is coming up with their stand over heights but they are way off. If I went purely by the chart I'd have not even given it a chance.

And now for the disappointing news....decided to order the frame yesterday. Went to my LBS and put down the cash for the red and grey Thunderbolt BC and today they came back saying Rocky Mountain doesn't sell the BC frame in red and grey even though it is advertised on their website. Rocky Mountain told them I'd have to buy a complete bike or get the black and turquoise frame. Unfortunately looks are important and I'm not down with the Yeti paint scheme unless it's on a yeti so it's a deal breaker for me. Now thinking I'll just get and actual Yeti SB5 or go back to a 5010. Thoughts??
    I would contact Rocky just to make sure. Their website shows the 2 colour options so I would just double check...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Spoke to the local rep and a second LBS yesterday and they both confirmed that Rocky does not sell the red and grey color scheme in the frame only BC edition. They were polite enough to offer me a complete Red/grey BC edition bike at full price. haha

So I have an Ibis Mojo 3 frame being delivered this Tuesday. Missing out on 10mm but glad to be buying American.

Thanks for the input all.

Having a nice day!
    I don't think you will suffer much