mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rock Lobster 69er preview

heres the 69er frame paul built for me to bomb some trails on...should be built up in a couple weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Cool frame,
    Looking forward to see it built up.

mtbr member
    Can you tell us what the HT angle and ST angle are and what the fork you are going to use will be?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Scandium?

Better pics?

I just talked to Paul about a scandium 650b... only $1400 which for a custom, and from a guy with his chops is unreal. Would include yolks for fatty clearance. Frame weight around 3.5 for a pretty large size.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the HT is 71 degree and not sure on ST.
    the Fork is a Fox F29 120mm (2010). it has Ahrens yokes top and bottom. should clear 2.35 min and 2.5 max. the rims are mavic 719's laced to chris king hubs.
    standard king head set, thompson stem(x4) and seat post. easton high rise monkey lite bars. fizik gobi xm seat. It will be 1x9 with XT cranks and Saint rear 810 short cage.
    avid elixir CR brakes.

I'll find out about ST angle for you.
    I'm 5' 8 sooo a 29er was out with a 120mm fork. but this should be a blast.
    Oh yeah.. Ahrens slider dropouts also so i can make it a single speed too.
    its not scandium. it is easton elite and ultralight. ultralight is the seatpost and the 2 small top tubes. the rest is elite 7005 . weight atm is about 3lbs 11oz but the frame is still at the clear coater so weight will change after the HT is reamed, ST and BB. I will get a final weight.
    Yes there will be better pics. this one was a video capture . call it a 69er downhiller
    the seating postion will be nice upright . right in the pocket.

mtbr member
    71 degrees with a 120mm fork at sag yes or 71 unsagged? Reason I ask because of fork "dive."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I sent paul an E-mail asking him for the info or to chime in on the thread.
    I have 2 bikes from paul already. an SS and a CX bike.
    i have no doubt that this new bike will do everything i hope it to.
    his bikes have been awesome.
    sorry to say all i have for pics are not wonderful. but i will get better ones when its back from the clear coat process.

I had this idea in my head about a 69er and told paul i wanted to order that. i trust him to tell me good idea or bad idea ... boom there it is.

i trusted him in the same way when i told him i wanted a scandium SS 7 years ago.
    boom it happened and it has been my favorite bike of all my bikes i have had.

Heres a pic
    Last edited by SC RockLobster; 08-22-2009 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it'll be awesome. My questions were just more out of general curiosity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    paul saiid he thinks the ST is 73 degrees... but he needed to look at the drawing to make sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Nice wheels

ppny and I like it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    heres a quick one. better pics coming
    Last edited by SC RockLobster; 09-08-2009 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    That looks very nice Eric. I see it has gears too. Well, I'm assuming that is a rear derailleur unless it's just a tensioner. We met on the MBOSC/ROMP SDF August ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

rock lobster WTF

http://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com
    there are a couple pics on pauls site
    I should be at the 9/13 ride in demo with the new toy
    yes, it is a rear derailiuer. its the new saint. bike is 1x9

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Sorry I won't be there to see it. I'm a couple of thousand miles away now - back home in Sydney. I have an old frame I was thinking of converting to a 69er which is why I came here and then by coincidence I see your red bike! Craig

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Craig,
    oh nice your back (home), you are about to start your summer? down there, yes ?
    To bad you won't be at the next demo ride. I really like the 69er bit so far.
    makes a big difference in cornering , rolling over the small stuff and of course the 4.7inches of front travel doesn't hurt either. The saint deraileur is very very nice.

I strongly suggest you try a 69er and a Saint if you go gears .
    single speed ahead, Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Eric, it is officially spring here, December for summer. However, it is still cold in the mornings here, right now, but we had a couple of weeks in August, that were 30degC (like 86degF), according to everyone back here. Pretty warm for winter. I think the fires are going to be bad this summer - unfortunately we have that in common, as well as many of the other good things around SC.

I might try a 69er SS. I really want a 29er as a trail bike/commuter so I need some gears to wind it up on the road sections. Why is it every time I think I want another bike it always ends up more than 1? Craig

Members who have read this thread: 1