mtbr member

Ritchey Timberwolf 27.5 rigid build

So I got this far with the build before deciding to change things up a bit more dramatically:

The frame is going to the shop tomorrow for sand-blasting. It will then be promptly polished and chromed.

What I really want is a 27.5 CroMo fork for 100x15 but that just aint working out! I will deal with this Aliexpress carbon fork for the time being (Ritchey only offers a rigid 27.5 fork for QR ).

For the brakes I want to go with 2, 4 piston Magura MT Trail SL's because they will nicely match the chromed frame. The idea is to incorporate that blue elsewhere in the build:

Other ideas for brakes are welcome. The MT7's rated so very well that I wanted them, but then found the Trail SL's. Original plan was XTR.

Drivetrain will be the XTR M980 with 44/28 and 11/36. This is currently on my other rigid bike and is perfect for up, down and the flats. The rigid build is however only really good for 2 of the 3 but I live with it as up-hill and flats are more important for my riding. The whole reason for this build is because I want disc brakes and my other build won't support them.

The wheelset that I am eyeballing right now is the Reynolds Blacklabel Trail with I9 hubs. That's a difficult decision though, as my original plan was to take these Crest Mk3 rims and lace them to White Industries XMR's with Sapim CX-ray's. I just think the reynolds will be much stiffer and only 100g heavier than my self-built Crest's. The costs will roughly be the same (if purchased, the reynolds will be 2nd hand).

I hope all goes well with the polishing and chroming. I know that it is slightly risky with the thin steel tubing but I just don't see any other look which appeals to my bling-lust.

Also, the frame was a steel as the clear-coat is damaged from wrong mix of thinner from the factory:
    Last edited by pressed001; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:09 PM. Reason: 100mm front hub spacing, not 110.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    That frame is designed for a 120mm to 140mm fork. I would get a 100mm suspension corrected 29er fork and a 29er front wheel. Something like a niner rdo fork. If you were ever going to build a nice B9er this would be the frame to use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    I would get a 100mm suspension corrected 29er fork and a 29er front wheel. Something like a niner rdo fork.
    The niner fork would be perfect but they don't make one with the right dimensions for 650B. ~469mm AtC. The Timby was designed for 140mm fork travel, sag corrected would put a rigid fork at exactly the AtC length of 469mm which is the spec for the ritchey rigid fork, and is also what mine measures (actually mine is 470). I just don't want to lift the front any more as I like going uphill and already have to often sit on the very end of the saddle and lean forward. With a lifted front end, this would get even more difficult.

I also don't want a mixed wheelset.

Does anyone have any input on the Magura MT Trail SL brakeset? It is hard to dig up good reviews for them.

mtbr member
    This is the last time we will see her with the factory paint!

mtbr member
    Things are in full swing. Just waiting for the paint to be professionally removed by the bike-shop/manufacturer, Stolz. These guys are really great and put a lot of passion into their work.

Anyway the parts are on order.

The white industries XMR's in blue should complement the overall chrome/blue color scheme quite well!

Those are being paired with the polished Crest Mk3 rims, sapim CX ray's and blue sapim nipples. I really don't like aluminum nipples but make an exception in this case. The blue will look great against the polished steel/aluminum. I will never forget buying a used scott scale LTD with top-shelf DT-Swiss carbon rims and wanting to true them. The aluminum nipples just disintegrated upon attempting to turn. I had to rebuild the wheels to true them. I really hope that will not be the case for me here. If you guys think otherwise, let me know and I will stick with brass nipples!

I need to start sanding the fork. Plan is to have it painted chrome, if possible. Tomorrow I will contact the automotive paint shop which did such a great job on the clear-coat for my Kuota project. Hopefully they can get it done. I am really not digging the trend of black carbon forks on all these non-carbon bikes. To deviate further from trend, I plan to have the carbon seatpost painted the same chrome. If not possible, will be going with a Thomson Elite in silver.

mtbr member
    Today the frame and rims went from stripping directly to the polishing and chroming company, Walt AG in Fällanden. They were very professional and the guy knows his stuff, but the price was admittedly steeper than my last build which required nearly exactly the same amount of polishing and chroming. End results will be ready to pick up in 4 weeks.

That grit on the frame is residue and not the steel.

Cycologist
    Here's a little inspiration on the chrome and blue for you.

Ritchey Timberwolf 27.5 rigid build-chrome_and_blue.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.