Revel Rail vs Esker Elkat vs Jamis Hardline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Revel Rail vs Esker Elkat vs Jamis Hardline

I guess I find myself drawn to this category of bikes. Left of center brands, with longish travel, moderate wheelbase and novel rear suspension platforms that supposedly pedal really well. All 27.5ers. I am on the east coast, so my local terrain doesn't really call for 150-160 mm of travel, but it would be nice to have a bike for trips to places with bigger terrain, bike parks and the occasional enduro race. Is anyone compared these bikes, or bikes in the similar category? Seems like an interesting place to be right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My son in law bought an Elkat after I demoed one and told him it was an amazing suspension platform.

He has no complaints.

No idea about the Revel or Jamis.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    My son in law bought an Elkat after I demoed one and told him it was an amazing suspension platform.

He has no complaints.

No idea about the Revel or Jamis.
    Anyone who's ridden the Esker freaking raves about it, damn.

Hisforever
    bible bike mag had some good reviews on the revel. being able to hop on a bike and feel comfortable right away is what i remember, i think they also said its a little less efficient or softer all around

they have ridden esker as well, try look for it.

Ibis Ripmo -wifes
    Scout
    Saturn St
    G1
    Yz 250x - no ebikes

mtbr member
    Honestly, three good bikes to choose from

I havent tried the revel rail, but heard good things...

Ive ridden the jamis hardline and i own the jamis portal which is the 29er version of same platform. Really happy with the 3vo suspension.

I have the Esker Elkat as well.

Fyi. i am east coast. Northern NJ. ride alot of technical trails. Rock gardens. Etc.

The Hardline is a nice bike but the Esker was my favorite 27.5 bike of those i had demoed. Geo is better compared to the jamis and just super fun to ride. I dont feel im overbiked for where i ride cause i like to seek out the unrideable. Lol. Even on milder trails i donít feel like im overbiked. Its a great pedaling platform. I Have bike setup at 160/150. But you could run a 150/150 setup or even a 170/150

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Revel Rail is on top of my shortlist. It's between the Rail or GG Megatrail. I really like the Canfield suspension so that is why it's top choice. Getting ready to pull the trigger unless something persuades me another direction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    Honestly, three good bikes to choose from

I havent tried the revel rail, but heard good things...

Ive ridden the jamis hardline and i own the jamis portal which is the 29er version of same platform. Really happy with the 3vo suspension.

I have the Esker Elkat as well.

Fyi. i am east coast. Northern NJ. ride alot of technical trails. Rock gardens. Etc.

The Hardline is a nice bike but the Esker was my favorite 27.5 bike of those i had demoed. Geo is better compared to the jamis and just super fun to ride. I dont feel im overbiked for where i ride cause i like to seek out the unrideable. Lol. Even on milder trails i donít feel like im overbiked. Its a great pedaling platform. I Have bike setup at 160/150. But you could run a 150/150 setup or even a 170/150
    Yeah, I think we've chatted before. When this Corona madness subsides we really need to link up for a ride, seems like our taste in bikes is pretty close The Esker sounds legit, I am kind of kicking myself for not jumping on that demo deal, but hard to throw down cash right now with so much uncertainty.

mtbr member
    Didn't even realize Jamis was still around. Never ridden an Esker and I've never seen one in the wild. I have seen articles on them and there's one shop I know in Utah that has them available to demo. I has to Google the Elkat and I'm surprised to see they aren't running a piggyback shock on a 150 bike. Anyway, I've demo'd the Revel Rail and Rascal and they are both amazing bikes with the best performing REAR suspension when it get rough, I've ever ridden. FWIW, I've been riding 30 years and have ridden my share of bikes, usually selling and buying one of two a year without fail.

The Rail does have a plusher suspension with the X2. One of the plushest I've ridden but I like that. It climbs very well at least for the way I ride as a Team AARP "sit & spinner". My buddy has one and just installed the approved MRP Hazzard coil so I'll ride that soon. Liking the plusher feel, I think it may climb more comfortably than the 29er Rascal but the Rascal going down thru repeated chunk, braking bumps, etc...was AMAZING.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    To the OP, you wonít be overbiked on an Elkat, itíll handle most anything you want to ride out East, without feeling like youíre riding a tank.

My son in law is running his with a Mezzer, 170mm or 180mm.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I bit the bullet and ordered the Revel Rail. I gave them a call and spoke with the fellas a bit. Super nice guys and very receptive. Placed the order for frame only and they had it expedited for me. Should be getting it in a couple days! Such a cool company.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    So I bit the bullet and ordered the Revel Rail. I gave them a call and spoke with the fellas a bit. Super nice guys and very receptive. Placed the order for frame only and they had it expedited for me. Should be getting it in a couple days! Such a cool company.
    Sick, would love to see some impressions once you got the thing built. What size did you go for?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm 5'9" and went with the med. I'll post up the weight and build when done. What persuaded me to go with Revel is the fact they answer the phone and chatted with me for awhile. Didn't pressure me or sales pitch. I gave them my short list of other brands I was interested in and they gave praise to the other companies and said I had a tough decision because all of my choices are great. Not many companies are like this. I made a few calls and inquiries to a few brands but Revel stood out the most for me.