Retired Pro Sue Haywood's Take- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Retired Pro Sue Haywood's Take

Preparing for the Transylvania Epic she had the following comments in regards to equipment choice. Hopefully her sponsor Turner is listening as she gets it that 650b is the best of both worlds.

Haywood has been hemming and hawing over what kind of bike to race at the TSE. "I've been drinking the Kool-Aid lately and going with the 29er. I wanted to bring both my Turners, but I think I might be bringing one gun... the Sultan. I've made a couple of changes to cockpit, suspension and my attitude and I've made friends with it the last couple of weekends. I'm still not faster on the downhills with it, but I'm so much faster on the road. Like everyone says...they roll."

"I still wish the 650b bike would have been the next big thing, but what do I know?...I'm just a hillbilly from the holler."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/reti...-sylvania-epic

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just found out that the SC Blur LT2 will fit 650b, was hoping my bike of choice, Turner Flux was 650b compatible, but I don't think so, although I heard Dave Turner had some 650b protos. anyone heard any truth to that rumor? I refuse to go up to a 29er.
    I still believe that if 650b was created before 29ers, there would not be 29ers, although I think 29ers are a great fit for a small percentage of riders, 650b is a better fit for a larger percentage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Listen Up Turner

I would guess that if Turner had some protos available that Sue would have access to one. Based on her comments she seems dissapointed that 650b isn't available so I would guess they aren't out there or her sponsor, Turner, prefers she sticks with something out of their line-up.

Too bad as this race, Transylvania Epic, as described by the organizers is all about the versatility of the racer. Every stage is different and they are trying to create a race that rewards the most well rounded rider. If she were to win the overall aboard a 650b bike it would truly show the versatility of the wheel size as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0