Thread: Replacing frame

ivp
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

New question here. Replacing frame

Hi guys,

I'm thinking to replace the frame on my Ghost Kato 7 (2016) with Ragley Marley in order to reduce a bit harshness of the ride + get slacker geometry.

So basically I want to remove all the gear from the Kato frame and put it onto Marley.

Looks like the frames are compatible (120mm fork, QR wheels, 31.6 seatpost), but maybe I just unaware of some pitfalls (never built a bike before by myself).

Are there some things I should consider before going into it?

Thank you guys in advance!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You're replacing it with just about the same frame. Not sure quite what you're going to accomplish here. They're both aluminum, so it won't reduce harshness much if any and pretty close on the geo unless you get a longer travel fork to slacken the head angle. Seems like a waste of time.

ivp
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    You're replacing it with just about the same frame. Not sure quite what you're going to accomplish here. They're both aluminum, so it won't reduce harshness much if any and pretty close on the geo unless you get a longer travel fork to slacken the head angle. Seems like a waste of time.
    well, in general you're right - the frames are pretty similar so I won't change the behaviour of bike significantly.
    But I also don't want to - I like how my current bike behaves. I just want to fine tune it a bit.

And to be perfectly honest it's also a lot about curiosity. I want to find out how good I can feel the difference between 68 and 65.5 head angles. I want to check how big is the difference in harshness of two aluminum frames (Ghost is notorious to be harsh, Marley not). On top of that Marley geometry allows put a fork with bigger travel, so in future I may also experiment with that.

Currently the Marley frame is relatively cheap on CRC, so I have possibility to satisfy my curiosity (and hopefully get a bit better bike) without spending too much.

mtbr member
    I'm not looking at the two bikes side by side but I'm assuming their are both threaded bottom bracket? Otherwise I think you got everything covered.

Have fun building!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Sounds like a fun experiment. It'll definitely be different, but I don't think it'll do anything too weird to the handling. Only a couple things I see other than the BB mentioned is the fully built Ragley they're selling on CRC has 50mm stem/740mm bar. I can only find a REI ad for the Ghost at the moment, but the stem looks quite a bit longer. You might end up wanting a shorter stem (and possibly longer bar).

Also, you may or may not need new cables/hoses depending how they're routed on the frames.

Good luck!