mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Recommended for Anthem SX

I live in Revelstoke though I ride in a lot of other trail networks in BC; mainly xc/trail riding with varying surfaces and conditions. I run a 9-46 cassette. Some of the trail networks require road riding to access.

Currently running 2.25 on the front and the rear.

I'm wanting to 2.40 front 2.35 rear, or 2.35 front 2.30 rear, or 2.40 front, 2.30 rear. What would you suggest out of those three?

I am looking at Schwalbe and Maxxis tires and there seem to be a lot of options.

Also, is it better to have the rear tire as your wet/mud/lose tire with the front being geared toward hard packed? or vice versa?

mtbr member
    Maxxis ftw !

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was going with Maxxis; was thinking about a 2.35 ikon on the rear and either a forekaster, dhr 2 or HR 2 on the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any combos of size you stated will work well and won't be too noticeable. You said you are running XC trails mostly, then I would choose the lighter versions of schwalbes selection, that is the Pacestar casing. The DHR(meaning, Down Hill Rear in this case) will be too heavy and a waste of weight with your type of riding.

Your front tire needs more grip than the rear. It where most of your braking friction comes from, as well as most of your turning stability.

So, you need light tires, wider and stickier up front and you will be good to go for your stated application.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Currently running a Schwalbe performance Nobby nik on the front and Maxxis ardent on the rear; both semi worn. I hope I will notice some difference for the better? Ikon on the back for sure and toss up for the high roller 2 or Forekaster up front. High roller looks good n burley but heavy and slower. Forekaster looks like a better version of the Nobby nik?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ended up going with a 2.35 forecaster on the front and 2.35 ikon on the rear. Much better than my worn out 2.25 nobby nic perfromance on the front and 2.25 ardent on the rear. Only grip is that the forecaster looks slightly narrower than the ikon though I guess that's more the rounder profile vs square profile.

Also put on a 9-46 cassette to replace my worn 10-42.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For the exact same bike (my wife's) I just ordered for the front a Rekon 2.6 (measures closer to 2.5 reviewers say) in the Maxxterra and for the rear I went with an Ikon 2.35 MaxxSpeed.

I have tried lots of Enduro tires on my Yeti and have settled on Maxxis as providing the best overall product once I weigh: wear/ traction/ rolling resistance/ weight/ cost. So I briefly looked at Schwalbe's but decided on only considering Maxxis tires figuring that they would have the right tires for my application.

After that I tried to choose tires that I felt would offer a great pedaling experience but would improve my wife's confidence (traction!) as she is a newb. So the big high traction tire up front was a must and I don't feel the front slows you down much either way. And the Ikon, well this very website just rated it the best all around XC/ trail rire and the fact that they run a bit big and offered a lightweight Maxxspeed made it the perfect rear for my petite, soft riding wife.

The bike came with Schwalbes, like a Racing Ralph in the rear and, and a Rocket Ron front. Very fast tires appropriate for the terrain where I purchased the bike from, but not as appropriate for our considerably chunkier terrain.

Eager to hear what she reports back.

NedwannaB
    What yr model/size SX did you get?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    2015 advanced large.

The Ikon seems good overall but easily spins out on wet routes. More so than my ardent did I feel.

I feel the Ikon is awesome for dry, hard packed and tackier days.. as well as any riding that requires long distance. But as the season moves into the wetter fall I'll likely throw a 2.30 DHR 2 on the rear
    Last edited by Kulharin; 08-07-2018 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    DHF in the front
    Ikon in the back if you want something faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sorry, missed this.

It's a size men's small 2017.

Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What yr model/size SX did you get?

Thanks in advance.
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The 2.6 Rekon front combined with the 2.35 Ikon rear are a huge hit with my wife.
    Very pleased with this selection.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk