mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Recomend a builder for Stan's 650b's please

So my Prophet B29er is one step from completion, I just need the rear wheel. I have installed a Stan's arch 29er up front with a panaracer fire xc on a lefty hub it feels great in the XC setting. Now I have heard that with any wheel it is just as much the builder as it is the components and with pushing 200 lbs. Stan's only option for 650b is the ZTR355. I have spoken with a few guys in my weight class that run the 355 with success but they claimed the build was above normal. So who can I turn to that can give me the best build possible with a ZTR 355 and hope pro2 hub?

Thanks, Dustin

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    So my Prophet B29er is one step from completion, I just need the rear wheel. I have installed a Stan's arch 29er up front with a panaracer fire xc on a lefty hub it feels great in the XC setting. Now I have heard that with any wheel it is just as much the builder as it is the components and with pushing 200 lbs. Stan's only option for 650b is the ZTR355. I have spoken with a few guys in my weight class that run the 355 with success but they claimed the build was above normal. So who can I turn to that can give me the best build possible with a ZTR 355 and hope pro2 hub?

Thanks, Dustin

http://www.ligerowheels.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a set on the way from these guys: http://www.universalcycles.com/

TNC
    noMAD man
    Why not just get the Stan's built whole wheel? We bought several of these through our shop. I used a front 650B ZTR355 with the Hope hub on the front of a Nomad for several months. For a racing only wheel, it's probably pretty good. I won't be using one on an AM bike anymore, as I think they're too light...even just on the front. If you trail ride your Prophet to any degree, I'd think about something a little stronger on the rear. Stan's made the same claim to me about very heavy riders using these with good reliability, but I think it's a racing wheel IMO. Mine buckled on the front in a bermed corner with no rock hits. Despite the claims for this wheel, I just don't think it's up to any hard riding. If you're a racer building a light set of wheels to race only, I'd say it's a good candidate, and Stan's builds it quite well for that application.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am kinda stuck on the Stan's for my build and looking for the best build I can get out of it possible. I have heard that some builders can wring out a bit more durabuility and I want wheelsmith duble buted spokes and DT swiss nipples and I don't think stans offers those as a house build. I do ride agressive xc on this bike and have never pushed it to it's limits so I don't think I will tax the wheels too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2 cents. Stans does some really nice wheel builds. Pretty sure they use dtswiss nipples and not sure what spokes. Also, I would build them with as heavy set of spokes as you can at your weight class. (It will still perform really well agressive xc with that rim.)
    Give them a call they will be really helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Thanks Kirk!

Thanks for the replies guys. I am kinda stuck on the Stan's for my build and looking for the best build I can get out of it possible. I have heard that some builders can wring out a bit more durabuility and I want wheelsmith duble buted spokes and DT swiss nipples and I don't think stans offers those as a house build. I do ride agressive xc on this bike and have never pushed it to it's limits so I don't think I will tax the wheels too much.
    Why do you want Wheelsmith spokes but DT nipples? Both companies spokes and nipples are good without any problems. Dt has the prolock nipples, which I use but htey do not make the wheels any stronger. For your weight I would not go any lighter the Dt Super Comps and would try to steer you toward a 14/15 gauge spoke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The issue with Stan's builds is they use Super Comp spokes (1.7-2.0 gauge) -- way too weak for a 200lb guy. If you can get them to lace them up using regular comp spokes (sometimes they have them in stock) then I'd consider a stan's setup. But only then...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    The issue with Stan's builds is they use Super Comp spokes (1.7-2.0 gauge) -- way too weak for a 200lb guy. If you can get them to lace them up using regular comp spokes (sometimes they have them in stock) then I'd consider a stan's setup. But only then...
    Stan's uses Wheelsmith DB14 or XL14's. The DB14's are 2.0/1.7/2.0, XL14's are 2.0/1.5/2.0 where DT Super Comps are 2.0/1.6/1.8 it is the XL14's that should not be used for a 200lb guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow, lots of info to digest. Thanks alot. I want to use the DT swiss nipples and Wheelsmith spokes so that it has the same component specs as my front 29er arch wheel that I already have. I received an email from the guys at Stans that says if I go with the 2.0 1.7 spokes at my weight it should be ok. It's my first ordered wheel that didn't just come on the bike so I am a little green at this whole thing and wanted some good advice.

Thanks again, Dustin

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was borderline and went with them 1.7 Super Comps and they were still way too flexy. The comps are 1.8 at their thinnest and also what I would recommend. My experience was last year so maybe it is true they're carrying Wheelsmith spokes but definitely double check first..

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    I was borderline and went with them 1.7 Super Comps and they were still way too flexy. The comps are 1.8 at their thinnest and also what I would recommend. My experience was last year so maybe it is true they're carrying Wheelsmith spokes but definitely double check first..
    I'm 200 lbs and I'll second dc'head's recommendation of using DT Comps or other brand 2.0/1.8 DB spokes for stiffness and precise handling and durable wheel trueness.

At my weight I need to loose a few lbs of body weight before a few grams of spoke weight.

mtbr member
    Weight in at 196 lbs.
    I got a set of Stans ZTR 355s laced up with DTSwiss double butted comp spokes, brass nipples and I9 hubs. I contacted Matt over at Ultimate Bikes for this wheel build and he did a bang up job lacing the wheelset up. I've put the wheelset through some serious punishment, lobb'n off ledges up to 4' tall with my hardtail, driving through nasty rock gardens and a few nasty endos that I expected to see a folded wheel once I got myself off the ground. I've been hammering these wheels hard since early October and both are just a true and round as the day I picked them up. Ultimate's rates are very reasonable and I have been very impressed with with Matt's work. So he's building my second set of 650bs right now... same specs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I received an email from the guys at Stans that says if I go with the 2.0 1.7 spokes at my weight it should be ok.
    Thanks again, Dustin
    Stan's guys are great but I wouldn't, I'd go larger than 2/1/7/2. I would imagine you won't regret it. Esp if you like to lock-out and out-of-saddle mash on occasion.
    Edit oops (I'm lyslexic ). Thanks Ligero.
    Last edited by ghawk; 02-20-2009 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Stan's guys are great but I wouldn't, I'd go 2/1/5/2. I would imagine you won't regret it. Esp if you like to lock-out and out-of-saddle mash on occasion.
    I think you have the gauge mixed up. 2./1.5/2.0 is the lightest spokes so they would not be good for a heavy guy. 2.0/1.7/2.0 is thicker in the middle and would make a stiffer and stronger wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm heavier but I'll never run even 1.7 spokes again, 1.8 double butted bare min.

Bike Dork
    200 lbs. is one of those borderlines, but it's not so much the weight as the riding style. When you pop over 225 or so is when weight really becomes an issue. Since the OP is an XC rider butted spokes shouldn't be a problem. Good ole 14/15/14 DT will be fine, or Wheelsmith, or Sapim, any good quality spoke really. I wouldn't recommend mixing different brands or spokes and nipples though as there are sometimes issues that crop up. Definitely some kind of good spoke prep as de-tensioning can be a problem as you add weight.

Have you looked locally for a builder? I always recommend going local if you can with wheelbuilding and labor in general. There are hundreds of us around that have built piles and piles of wheels over the years and can build you a good wheel.

mtb remember
    I just got a set of Stan's 650B's on WTB Laserdisc hubs (2009 model w/ the stainless bearings) from Orion Cycles. The price was VERY reasonable....as in way cheaper than I could buy even the parts.
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

Members who have read this thread: 0