Quiver Killer- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: Quiver Killer

  1. #1
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82

    Quiver Killer

    On the mythical quest to find the bike that does it all.
    I do a lot of different riding, from rough and technical xc to full on enduro, with a couple bike park days thrown in the mix.
    I have tried the orbea occam, ripmo, and Tallboy 4. Neither really did it for me. The occam and Tallboy never felt dialed to me, and while the ripmo felt very comfortable fit wise, I found it a bit too Cadillac like for my tastes.
    Would love some suggestions for efficient trail bikes in the 130-140mm travel range.

    Budget is around 4500-5000 dollars, and happy to shop used

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    302
    With the bikes you've sampled, I wonder if this is in the wrong subforum?

    If youíre open to 29ers, I've been enjoying the heck out of my Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29, but I know it would beat the stuffing out of me at the bike park.
    Last edited by Thaumaturge; 07-31-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Ah, I now see this is a cross post to a couple of subfora.

  3. #3
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
    With the bikes you've sampled, I wonder if this is in the wrong subforum?

    If youíre open to 29ers, I've been enjoying the heck out of my Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29, but I know it would beat the stuffing out of me at the bike park.
    Thanks for the suggestion!!
    i posted here because I am open to 27.5 as well as 29. Havenít really made up my mind yet

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,879
    Rocky Mountain Altitude. With the Ride 9 and options for coil, air, and over shocking/over forking, it is very versatile.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    342
    Bronson v3, Transition Scout or Hightower v2 if you're into 29er.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    99
    Yeti SB140. I am finding that the new generation of bikes with mismatched travel to offer key aspects of big and small bikes. The sb140 has 160mm front, 140mm rear. Does really well in the chunk, very stable in the steep and rough, yet pedals and corners like a lower travel bike.

  7. #7
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    428
    I'm an SC fanboy; the new 5010 might be what you want. Otherwise intense primer, new Mojo, Revel Rascal (29er), Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg (27.5)/Trail pistol (29). Some of the ID brands might also fit what you are looking for such as Commencal, YT, or Canyon - they are the best "value".

  8. #8
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    Yeti SB140. I am finding that the new generation of bikes with mismatched travel to offer key aspects of big and small bikes. The sb140 has 160mm front, 140mm rear. Does really well in the chunk, very stable in the steep and rough, yet pedals and corners like a lower travel bike.
    I looked at this one, but it seems pretty sled like with the 65 head angle and large wheelbase. The one dealer that offers demos near me ha one of these in stock... maybe Iíll go check it out

  9. #9
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    I'm an SC fanboy; the new 5010 might be what you want. Otherwise intense primer, new Mojo, Revel Rascal (29er), Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg (27.5)/Trail pistol (29). Some of the ID brands might also fit what you are looking for such as Commencal, YT, or Canyon - they are the best "value".
    The primer, rascal, and the new 5010 are all on my short list. Do you have any person experience with them?

  10. #10
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    The primer, rascal, and the new 5010 are all on my short list. Do you have any person experience with them?
    No - no one around me has any of these bikes in stock to demo even if I wanted to pay (which I didn't). I ended up buying a closeout bronson to replace my intense carbine 275 and supplement my tallboy 3. The 5010 on paper seems perfect if I were to have just 1 bike. I'm an SC fanboy and I love the way VPP climbs. Review wise, the commencal meta tr, rascal, and ripmo are tops in this segment, but they are all 29ers.

  11. #11
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    No - no one around me has any of these bikes in stock to demo even if I wanted to pay (which I didn't). I ended up buying a closeout bronson to replace my intense carbine 275 and supplement my tallboy 3. The 5010 on paper seems perfect if I were to have just 1 bike. I'm an SC fanboy and I love the way VPP climbs. Review wise, the commencal meta tr, rascal, and ripmo are tops in this segment, but they are all 29ers.
    Out of the three bikes I had, I definitely liked the Tallboy the most(VPP). That thing climbed like a goat. Part of me thinks I should have kept it and put a 140mm fork on it...

    I was looking at the primer 29er but it didnít seem to get much love this time around. On paper it looks perfect though.
    Rascal looks really cool, but people are saying they climbing is a step down from the ripmo/occam.. this is one of the most important aspects to me living in the East coast.

    everything about the new 5010 looks great to me as well.
    how do you like your Bronson?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    342
    If you're looking for 27.5" 'quiver killer' bike, i would go with the Bronson v3 over the 5010 v4.

    The Bronson v3 is a great all mountain bike, it will hold everything you
    throws under it - from long climbs, flow trails and steep singletracks, to DH/lift days.

    Im sure the 5010 v4 is great trail bike (didn't try it), but there is a limit now much you can push 130mm rear travel bike...

  13. #13
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,718
    I had done demos of a wide range of 29ers. My main objection was similar to yours in that capable bikes in the 29" wheel size seemed too plush and disconnected to be fun for everyday riding when not going Mach 5 downhill. I ended up getting an Ibis Mojo HD4. The 153mm of rear travel is more than adequate for anything I would ride, yet the bike is still nimble enough to enjoy on tamer terrain for everyday riding.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  14. #14
    Thicc Member
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    994
    You missed out on the Mach 6 special build for $3700. That would have been a nice bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    187
    I would check out the older version of the chromag samurai with the 68hta.

  16. #16
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,360
    Orange Stage Evo (29), or Five Evo (27.5)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYQMuw74g0A

    I run a Five Evo with 29er wheels and 120 SID for trail and XC.

    You could then switch it to 140mm fork and 27.5 wheels if you wanted.

    I think that's the definition of a quiver killer.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  17. #17
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    If you're looking for 27.5" 'quiver killer' bike, i would go with the Bronson v3 over the 5010 v4.

    The Bronson v3 is a great all mountain bike, it will hold everything you
    throws under it - from long climbs, flow trails and steep singletracks, to DH/lift days.

    Im sure the 5010 v4 is great trail bike (didn't try it), but there is a limit now much you can push 130mm rear travel bike...
    After doing a bit of reading, I am really thinking Iím going to pull the trigger on a Bronson. Do you have any experience on one? My only hang up is that at 5í8Ē I am on the upper end of the medium and the 436mm reach seems a lot shorter than most bikes these days. Wouldnít want to feel cramped and have no way to demo

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    After doing a bit of reading, I am really thinking Iím going to pull the trigger on a Bronson. Do you have any experience on one? My only hang up is that at 5í8Ē I am on the upper end of the medium and the 436mm reach seems a lot shorter than most bikes these days. Wouldnít want to feel cramped and have no way to demo
    I own one, and i love it! it's the perfect 'do it all' bike for the Alps.

    As for sizing, for your hight i would go with L size over M, but you should demo both and see which one fits you best.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    As for sizing, for your hight i would go with L size over M, but you should demo both and see which one fits you best.
    I'd try one out for sizing, as I differ with the above post and think at 5'8" you would fit on a Medium better. Sizing it very personal though, and depends on your body type also.

    I ride a gen 3 5010 large at 5'11". If I was 3 inches shorter, I'd want a medium. YMMV.

  20. #20
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    I'd try one out for sizing, as I differ with the above post and think at 5'8" you would fit on a Medium better. Sizing it very personal though, and depends on your body type also.

    I ride a gen 3 5010 large at 5'11". If I was 3 inches shorter, I'd want a medium. YMMV.
    That was my thought, but the reach seems very short by modern standards.. the Tallboy medium fit me pretty well with its 450mm reach and 50mm stem, though the sta on the Bronson is a little slacker.

    i made some calls today to try and find a demo locally to me, with not much luck. Connecticut pretty much sucks in that department.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    You missed out on the Mach 6 special build for $3700. That would have been a nice bike.



    This right here. Ive got a Mach 6 and and for a 160/155mm bike it is amazing. great technical climber, great at decents. Carves flow trails. Poppy and nimble yet can take gnar. Another vote for a Pivot Mach6

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    I looked at this one, but it seems pretty sled like with the 65 head angle and large wheelbase. The one dealer that offers demos near me ha one of these in stock... maybe Iíll go check it out
    The bronson is a fantastic bike, you will like it. If you have a chance I would also demo the sb140, the head angle and wheelbase are deceiving, it doesnít ride like a sled at all. I have a bronson v2 and the sb140, and the 140 out pedals and out carves the bronson. I would slot the 140 somewhere between the 5010 and the bronson.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    That was my thought, but the reach seems very short by modern standards.. the Tallboy medium fit me pretty well with its 450mm reach and 50mm stem, though the sta on the Bronson is a little slacker.

    i made some calls today to try and find a demo locally to me, with not much luck. Connecticut pretty much sucks in that department.
    Iím just barely under 5í9Ē and I have a large 5010 V3. I feel comfortable on the large, but I probably would have been comfortable on a medium as well. I have a long torso though, so I think I might have felt like I was hanging over the front tire if I had a medium. I went with a large because itís what the bike shop had and thereís not much in stock right now. If you look at the specs, a large Santa Cruz is more equivalent to a M/L from Trek than a large in other bikes. Depending on your build, you could probably go with either. If the trails you ride are tight with sharp corners, you might want to size down though since the bronson is pretty long. The difference in reach between a medium and large is only 1 inch. You could probably make a decision based on a parking lot ride. You probably donít need a full demo ride.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    378
    Ibis Mojo 4 Deore build is right in your price range. Very playful, and comes with Factory Fox 34 with Grip 2. This is if youíre looking for a 27.5 bike. Pedals very well as well.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned an Alchemy Arktos. Comes in a 29er, 27.5 ora mullet with either. 140 travel to a 160.

    It's a beautiful, short travel Quiver Killer.

    https://alchemybicycles.com/product/arktos-29/#buynow

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Also, I had a Bronson. It was a great bike but I needed the extra rolling of the 29er. To me, The Bronson feels exactly like a Tallboy with 27.5 wheels.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9,838
    The "custom tuned" fox DPS that comes on the occams is not tuned correctly for the bike and damn near ruins the ride. I wouldnt write it off if you've only been on one with the dps.

    I have a 24lb xc hardtail that absolutely destroys every quiver-killer bike on mild xc trails. It was under a grand total, and its basically a gravel bike with flat bars and a suspension fork. 9/10 times for mountain biking, ill grab my occam, but the hardtail has its place. Especially with a 5k budget and willing to go used, I would buy two bikes.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    8
    I just demoed a sb140 friday-saturday. I took it on new trails near the bike shop on Friday and loved it. It was just a lot of fun and seemed to do everything well.

    Saturday I took it to my favorite local trail. Lots of technical rock areas, some good climbs and some tight twisty turns. According to Strava I pr'd almost every segment. It did awesome everywhere. I've been riding an older Trance x 29" for years and i've demoed a Ripmo on those trails. The 140 was faster for me and a better climber then both of those. I liked it so much I ordered one

    I could see it being slower on fast flow downhills, but since I don't ride many of those that wasn't really an issue for me.

  29. #29
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by investorofmercy View Post
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned an Alchemy Arktos. Comes in a 29er, 27.5 ora mullet with either. 140 travel to a 160.

    It's a beautiful, short travel Quiver Killer.

    https://alchemybicycles.com/product/arktos-29/#buynow
    Looks like a cool bike, but that slack seat tube angle definitely has me looking elsewhere

  30. #30
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    I am starting to think I will keep my occam and get a medium/long travel 27.5 for the real chunk

  31. #31
    Thicc Member
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The "custom tuned" fox DPS that comes on the occams is not tuned correctly for the bike and damn near ruins the ride. I wouldn't write it off if you've only been on one with the dps.
    The Primer stock shock isn't that great either. One reviewer had a .88 volume spacer in the DPX2. The leverage curve would need as much positive volume as possible.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    I am starting to think I will keep my occam and get a medium/long travel 27.5 for the real chunk
    Having read only the title and post above, I'll add my .01 and say you might want to look into a patrol. It's not a plow bike, and it's not a xc whippet... but I'm happy as a clam with it as my one bike quiver. Much livelier then the numbers would suggest. Two years on SBG carbon and as long as it doesn't detonate, it'll prob be two more years before I start looking for something new.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    I am starting to think I will keep my occam and get a medium/long travel 27.5 for the real chunk
    In that case you should also look on the Nomad, Commencal Clash, Transition Patrol, YT Capra and Yeti SB165.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    80
    How about the Transition Scout?

  35. #35
    JRuss1524
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    82
    Anyone ridden a banshee spitfire?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,349
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg, burly, agile, versatile, great climber, descends like a beast.

    Get tired of riding a 27.5 and want a 29er, change stays and suspension.

    Want to run a shorter or longer reach, just rotate the headset

    Feeling like you need more or less BB height or maybe a different HTA, change out your lower cup

    Want a different suspenion feel, try flipping the chip.

    You're welcome
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BossLog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    105

    Does the Shred Dog like to rock a mullet?

    All set to snag a Patrol or Revel Rail. But am intrigued by this bike.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    8
    Evil The Calling... couple years old but the only thing dated on it is the lack of internal cable routing.

    I just unloaded my Pivot Firebird for one and will be building it up this weekend.

    I've yet to read or watch a bad review on this bike

Similar Threads

  1. Quiver Killer or Killer Quiver
    By blidner in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-23-2016, 12:50 PM
  2. Fatbike as quiver killer XC race bike?
    By whitet777 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 05:41 AM
  3. Is a quiver killer the way to go?
    By Jeffinater224 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
  4. Burner as a quiver-killer in tough terrain?
    By Blatant in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 224

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.