Quick Straw Poll- Which Wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Quick Straw Poll- Which Wheels?

I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Handspun Series 6 Wheels- XT Hub, WTB Laser Disc Rims- seems like a solid build at a pretty competitive price point. I also found a similar wheelset with Velocity P35 Rims and XT Hubs.

Some feedback sounds like the WTB's are providing some real challenges for tire placement so I am now leaning to the Velocity build. This may be an initial problem until the tire "stretches" but I haven't heard any long trm feedback.

Other points of consideration-

Build Quality- sounds like Handspun does a really nice quality build- I have no idea of the quality of the Velocity build. I found the Velocity build on Ebay and comes from a shop called Wheel and Sprocket- never dealt with them don't know their rep, etc...

Intended Use- This will be a "tester" wheelset- I will use this wheel set to determine if I like the wheel size: a better, more expensive build may come later. I am not a reacer and focus more on relaibility above all else.

Final Point- I want to use a Fire XC Pro rear tire which may be tight on the width of the chain stays- will either rim perpetuate the width of the tire more? Probably a dumb question but hey why not ask?

Thanks all!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Call and/or email around to places like Bikeman.com and or Chad at Red Barn Bikes and see what they can put together for you in terms of an XT hub based wheelset, or maybe even some of the new SRAM X.7 or X.9 hubs.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a Wheelset based off of Blunts, or maybe even something like Alex XD lite rims, or perhaps the Vicious COTR rims - based upon your statment that you are riding Fire XC Pro 650b tires.

(makes me wonder if something as wide as the P35 might distort the shape of the tire being such a wide rim - ya know what I mean?)

mtbr member
    Ive been nothing but pleased with my WTB's They converted to tubless easy enough and other than some scratches have held up without any truing so far. Been riding them since April. Mine came on my bike and are fairly heavy(low end hub's and straight pull spokes)

bikeboatbrewski
    I am currently building a set of WTB lazerdisc wheels up with king hubs and DT spokes. I have some Alex rims and they are good hoops but being on the light side I want a beefy set to hammer down with the boyz.

Members who have read this thread: 0