mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Quick help on decision needed....

Ordered- but can cancel tomorrow - 2018 yeti sb5 turq with gx eagle lyric up front and roam carbon wheels. $7750

BUT

can get 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude c70 for $5999. Xt groupset, fox 36 fork, flow wheels

Money is tight, but the yeti would be lovely.

Which way to go???

Thank you !!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    You’re at $6k+. You better get the bike you really want. Remember, selling after the purchase, you loose big.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep been there so know how that feels. cheers

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Money is tight?

Quick help on decision needed....-using-word.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Haha, yep it looks like that right?

Well, I'm going to sell my (old anyway ) car and all my furniture rent my little house out,. , use a credit card to buy bike, and I am leaving here to go live in france in a couple of months time. I will land there with only a little money to get going, not much, and I want to take me an awesome ride with me. So I am going for it and screw it. I have been through the raising a family thing, penny pinching, now I am single and late forties, I get to choose how I enjoy my life. So that means splashing out on an expensive bike and travelling, living simply rather than throwing money into a house and nice car and holidays etc..

I would bet that you earn more than me, have a nicer car, house and possessions you probably go on holidays (I can't recall the last time I had a holiday ). So don't be so quick to judge, I am a struggling single guy selling up to travel and enjoy life, and I want a nice bike but I am not loaded so yes money is tight.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Not even close to right about my situation. All 4 of my bikes cost less than half what you're talking about and quite a bit more than my car...priorities, right? But none of that really matters. I was just making an observation. If you knew me, you'd probably make less assumptions, but whatev...here's my 2 cents knowing a tiny bit more of your situation. Make of it what you will.

You may want to reconsider your priorities. Not telling you what to do, but there are plenty of places to ride and if you've spent so much on a bike you may have less to get where you want to go. A $2-3K bike is just as much fun and that'd give you a lot more freedom to explore and pay for other stuff (repairs, lift tickets, hotels, campgrounds, food, beer, etc). Train rides add up and traveling always has a habit of costing more than expected.

The other thing you may not have considered is they have brands over there like Canyon, Nukeproof, Cube, Orbea and others where you don't have the added cost/hassle of dealing with the bike/plane thing...well, until you decide to come back at least. Just an idea...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well maybe we are in the same boat, if so lets have beer in the bar.. I only said (about you) I would bet you earn more than me, so not much of an assumption. Anyhow, I will be working in France, and I have in my great old age realised that life is happening now, not next week, year or when we retire, but here and now. And I have the opportunity to get a very special bike, so I am going to live and take there bike with me.

Now, the question I was asking was about the bikes, and would you spend the 1700 or so more for the bike that usually retails for 3000 more or so. Any thoughts on that? cheers,
    (mine's an ale fyi)

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    If it's not the price and you're not sacrificing on other stuff/have some kind of plan in case of emergency, then value is so subjective when you get to this level of gear. They're both beauties. I know I've made purchases that don't make sense on paper. I do try to keep an even balance between "live for today" and "plan for tomorrow"...most days, anyway.

As for the two bikes, I'm no pro so both are "above my pay grade" so it'd be an easy choice for me. I don't know what kind of rider you are or which would suit how you like to ride (or your favorite color). The shocks are pretty equal. GX Eagle vs Shimano pretty equal. Carbon rims vs Flows...gotta give the edge to the carbon, but that's an easy upgrade and then you're back to even. Without having ridden them, they seem to be in a dead heat as far as capability vs cost. If you can't test ride them, just pick whichever speaks to you and don't look back. There are only good options here. Oh, and enjoy!
    Guinness, s'il vous plait (is that heresy in France?)

mtbr member
    Just get the bike you want and have fun. It'll hurt once to write the check, but it'll feel good every time you throw a leg over your bike....in France!
    Just provide some ride reports.

I'm with stupid
    yep get the one one you want and the best you can afford since it does not sound like you will be replacing it in the next few years. The last thing you want is to penny pinch at teh last second and have that little voice in the back of your head saying you should have just gotten the one you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd buy an Evil Offering frame and build. Here's a review.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/e...w-1091943.html

jrm
    mtbr member

If thats your plan

to pay off a debt in USD using Francs you might want to find out what the exchange rate or the cost of converting the money...and if its possible....first..