mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Question with Camber vs Stance 1 vs Trance 3

Looking for a little help. I'll be purchasing my first full suspension bike in the near future. I currently have my choice narrowed down to three bikes:

1) Giant Stance 1 27.5
    Suspension = Fox 34 Rhythm/Fox Float Performance

2) Giant Trance 3 27.5
    Suspension = Rockshox Sextor Silver RL/Rockshox Deluxe RT

3) Specialized Camber 27.5
    Suspension = Rockshox Sextor Silver RL/X-Fusion 02 Pro RL

I have questions on the frame and suspension. How would you rank the frames (I know the Trance has the Maestro frame) and the suspension packages (fork/shock combo) between the three?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm not familiar with the specialized, but I am with the stance and trance. And my take is that they are both great bikes but it really depends what kind of riding you do. The stance is a great all around bike, perfect for the riding that probably 85% of us do. It's capable for everything from hitting some xc races to hitting the bike park occasionally. They really shine for carving singletrack and making technical climbs and descents. They have very quick and stable handling and you really feel connected to the bike. The trance is on the more aggressive end of the trail bike spectrum, while they do climb well they really specialize in going down hard and fast. if your a regular at the bike park and love hitting big drops and jumps, the trance is a better choice. It has a 1 degree slacker head angle than the stance and a longer wheelbase so it doesn't handle as snappy, but it is more stable at high speeds. I rode both and opted for the 2017 stance 1, the trance was a little too slow handling and disconnected for my taste. for 98% of my riding the stance has plenty of travel and when I hit the bike park I throw a bigger volume spacer in the shock and it takes anything I can throw at it. I wouldn't let the fact that the stance doesn't have a maestro suspension stop you from considering it. I've ridden trances and anthems and while the maestro works great it didn't blow me away, and it doesn't bother me that I don't have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the input. The bike will in fact be used for more general trail riding. Also still curious how the Camber compares to the other two and if there's a big difference in the suspensions between the three?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm under the impression that the Fox rhythm 34 is a step up from the sektor. Based on the fact that they come on the higher spec bikes than the bikes equipped with the sektor

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'm sure you picked those models because of a budget and I get that. The thing is, it's not really a direct comparison and you're skipping other options that may or may not be a better fit (Giant Anthem comes to mind, but lots of others).

Trance/Camber are similar to each other, but ride a bit different. Stance is more XC as mentioned and not built to take the abuse the others can (and the price reflects that).

So I guess my first question is how did you arrive at these 3 models? What type riding do you plan to do? (general trail isn't very specific) Have you ridden any of these models? Others?

Your profile says you have a beginner level hardtail. How is that not serving your current needs that one of these models might be better? Planning to upgrade again as your skills progress or get a bike that you can grow into? You don't have to answer all these, but definitely things to think about before buying.

mtbr member
    You could pick either one and have a nice, capable bike. You should get on them and decide wich one feels the best. period. Also , this gets overlooked alot because everyone seems to care more about shocks and forks, but consider the brakes too. Bottom level shimano deores are going to be good and reliable, where bottom level sram's will suck. Most important thing is how the bike fits you and how it feels without taking into concideration the parts. Any of the parts can be upgraded and changed. But the frame cant.
    Specialized Camber 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I arrived at those three based on the fact I have shops somewhat close that sell those models and from what I've read they seem to get pretty good reviews. The components were better than some of the other bikes in that price range as well. Also, each of them seem to fit the trails I ride to a certain degree.

Just looking to add a full suspension. I'll be keeping my hardtail as a second bike. My local trails are singletrack littered with roots and rocks so having full suspension I feel would be a nice option.

I definitely plan on riding before I buy. I was mainly just wanting to get some input (good or bad) on the suspension and frame designs in comparison to each other. Mainly if one would be considered to have a superior frame/suspension design than the other two. That doesn't sound like that's the case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've ridden both, well sort of. I've been on both 2015 and a 2017 Camber, but the Trance I have much time on is 2014 29er. The main diff in the suspension is how the Trance isolates the bike from the trail with it's linkage between the chainstays and the main frame. It's called Maestro and it makes the bike a hell of a great climber over the rough sh*t. The Camber FSR works great too, but you are more 'in touch' with those roots/rocks. After many years on a different linkage bike (SC) last year I went with a 4 bar bike (like Specialized) and currently would recommend it. Not better or worse but different, the review guys call it "lively or active". You can't go wrong with either one and if you don't get real demos out on the trail (to see the difference) then just choose which color you like best.
    Never been on a Stance but if it has lighter wheels and drivetrain, better fork then I'd go for that one if I like the ride.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I've ridden both, well sort of. I've been on both 2015 and a 2017 Camber, but the Trance I have much time on is 2014 29er. The main diff in the suspension is how the Trance isolates the bike from the trail with it's linkage between the chainstays and the main frame. It's called Maestro and it makes the bike a hell of a great climber over the rough sh*t. The Camber FSR works great too, but you are more 'in touch' with those roots/rocks. After many years on a different linkage bike (SC) last year I went with a 4 bar bike (like Specialized) and currently would recommend it. Not better or worse but different, the review guys call it "lively or active". You can't go wrong with either one and if you don't get real demos out on the trail (to see the difference) then just choose which color you like best.
    Never been on a Stance but if it has lighter wheels and drivetrain, better fork then I'd go for that one if I like the ride.
    Good info, Thanks!