Baby Bear is in the house

Hope Quasi-Motos on pavement?

I'm really keen on trying out 650B on my rigid SS MTB. If I succeed in getting the parts [barring cost limitations], I could be the first in my country (Philippines) to do so.

I'm considering the Quasi-Motos as the Neos are likely not to fit on the back of my Schwinn Moab. Also, I use my bike for everything from on-road commuting to work, to errands, fitness rides and the weekend trail getaway, so I need something with low RR.

Since this is my only bike, I want to get the better all-around tire for my uses [roughly 70% road, 30% XC trail], so I picked the Quasis. I'd like to know how they hold up to pavement use, i.e., if they wear decently or quickly. Assuming the Neo 2.1s would fit, would these be a better choice over the Quasis? (assuming they're readily available).
    What about Neo 2.3 front, Quasi rear? The one place with the best Neo 2.3 price I've found so far has the Quasi at 50% more than the Neo
    I'd like to keep costs as low as possible on this "experiment."

I would very much appreciate any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Quasi's would wear to nothing pretty quickly on the road, they are excellent light off road XC race tires. The 2.1 Neo-motos would last far longer and they roll surprisingly very well on pavement.

You will need 1/2 inch more clearance from the axle for the tire's radius and widest points to clear your stays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IMO Quasi.Neo's are best used as an off road tire. To ride them mostly on the pavement is not taking advantage of their dirt capabilities plus they will wear down quickly.

Take a look at Kirk's Pari-Moto's which are intended for the road plus a bit of rail riding. If you want a cheaper (and slower) tire look at the Fatty Rumpkins.

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    The Quasi's would wear to nothing pretty quickly on the road, they are excellent light off road XC race tires. The 2.1 Neo-motos would last far longer and they roll surprisingly very well on pavement.

You will need 1/2 inch more clearance from the axle for the tire's radius and widest points to clear your stays.

derby, thanks for the input. I've considered the 2.1 Neo-Motos but can't find a tire drawing or detailed specs for it similar to those for the 2.3s and Quasis. Would you happen to have them?

My measurement of my stays shows that the Quasis would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    IMO Quasi.Neo's are best used as an off road tire. To ride them mostly on the pavement is not taking advantage of their dirt capabilities plus they will wear down quickly.

Take a look at Kirk's Pari-Moto's which are intended for the road plus a bit of rail riding. If you want a cheaper (and slower) tire look at the Fatty Rumpkins.
    steelbike,
    many thanks for this input. I really appreciate it

Members who have read this thread: 0