Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Possible Knolly 650b?

I've ridden a few Knolly's on random bike trips throughout the years and absolutely LOVE the way the suspension feels, however, I refuse to go back to small wheels I'm a solid 29er convert but I'm extremely 650b curious The bikes I'm considering for a possible 650b build are the Mojo HD and Pivot Firebird. Now that Turner has announced a 650b project I might have to hold off and see what develops.

Anyhow, back to my thread title. I was brainstorming possible 650b convertible bikes and came across the Chilcotin. What do you guys think?

Looks like quite a bit of room but I'd want an expert's opinion before I dropped that kind of change. Anybody live close to a Knolly dealer or know someone who has one? It'd be awesome to see a NeoMoto thrown in the rear end of one

mtbr member
    I could ask someone to test fit a 650b on an endorphin if that would help you

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Well, if it fits an Endo it will fit a Chili. It'd kill two birds with one stone if it fit If you could, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Is his a new model SL or an older model? The new version looks promising. The '07 era Endo looks doubtful to me

mtbr member
    I can. Stay tuned!!!9

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Mark,
    as requested I test fit a 650b wheel with a 2.1 Nevegal on it but unfortunately it doesn't quite clear the seatstay bridge. Plenty of clearance on the swingarm though.

Seatstay

Swingarm

My endo on my last night ride...man do I love this bike.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    They annouced two 29er projects, thus no need for another kiddie wheel size. Get 29ers from them problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    meh...not really interested in a 29er AM bike for the trails around me....26 and 650b with 140-160mm of travel works really well...The endorphin is already just about the perfect bike for my trails....but the prospect of making it 650b could make it a monster. Either way, hardly what I would call a kiddie bike.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    What year is your Endo? The Chili has more clearance than the new Endo which has even more clearance than the old Endo! I'm guessing a Chili would be good...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine is one of the last of the 2010-11 Frames (from the final production run)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    meh...not really interested in a 29er AM bike for the trails around me...
    How can you know? Did you ride a Wfo9, Sultan, Specialized Evo fsr 29er for an extenive time like month or two?
    I guess you know Mikesee and his Lunchbox or PBJ? What do you think? He does really well in Whistler etc.
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 12-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    DC, go home!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Mine is one of the last of the 2010-11 Frames (from the final production run)
    Hmmm. If the nevegal 2.1 doesn't fit then thats not good for the 2.25 Neo fitting the Chili

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    How can you know? Did you ride a Wfo9, Sultan, Specialized Evo fsr 29er for an extenive time like month or two?
    I guess you know Mikesee and his Lunchbox or PBJ? What do you think? He does really well in Whistler etc.
    I have some decent saddle time on a Tallboy (set up AM with 2.4 ardents on flows and some nice big bars) but it just isn't a bike I enjoy riding. I also have a carbon 29er hard tail that I take out every now and then, but I almost always end up grabbing my endo. I have also put saddle time on a Moots Ybb, rip 9 (very limited saddle time), and some specialized I can't remember. All of the full suspension 29ers shared a common trait: they felt slow and cumbersome in the technical stuff, and just weren't very "fun" to ride. On all 29ers I have ridden, and particularly on the full suspension varieties, I find that the bikes have such long wheelbases that it takes forever for the rear wheel to follow the front through a corner, the result of which is me smacking the rear wheel on a bunch of stuff the front already cleaned. Add to that the mechanical disadvantage for pulling up the front end, harsh penalties for speed change, and high center of gravity, and in my opinion the bikes just aren't as good for all around riding on the trails in north eastern Connecticut. Our stuff is more rock and root than dirt....maybe if I rode the west coast trails where everyone uses a 29er (we call them fire-roads around here...real trails have more rocks than dirt) I could see the appeal, but for my riding a 26", slack angled AM bike is where its at, and I think a slightly shorter travel 650b could be awesome.

While I think it is cool that Lenz is pushing the travel and design of 29ers into new territory, they are still long wheel based single pivot bikes with steep seat angles and tall bottom brackets....I have ridden enough single pivot bikes to know how it will ride (and also why I ride a Knolly).
    Last edited by apat13; 12-06-2011 at 04:30 PM.

30-ton War Machine
    The Endorphin I had was the single most fun bicycle I have EVER owned, Noel knows how to design a very fun bike that is extremely capable. They aren't the lightest things in the world but my God are they great to ride.

Trophy Husband
    ...All of the full suspension 29ers shared a common trait:...I find that the bikes have such long wheelbases.
    Ding, ding, ding!!!!

While I think it is cool that Lenz is pushing the travel and design of 29ers into new territory, they are still long wheel based single pivot bikes with steep seat angles and tall bottom brackets..
    Ding, ding, ding!!!!

I love my HT 29er (Canfield), but am hoping more full suspension 650b options open up soon so I can replace my recently sold Titus Supermoto.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    All of the full suspension 29ers shared a common trait: they felt slow and cumbersome in the technical stuff, and just weren't very "fun" to ride. On all 29ers I have ridden, and particularly on the full suspension varieties, I find that the bikes have such long wheelbases that it takes forever for the rear wheel to follow the front through a corner, the result of which is me smacking the rear wheel on a bunch of stuff the front already cleaned. Add to that the mechanical disadvantage for pulling up the front end, harsh penalties for speed change, and high center of gravity, and in my opinion the bikes just aren't as good for all around riding on the trails in north eastern Connecticut.
    You rode it wrong and didn't have time for getting used to.

The guy is saying at the end that while he liked the Liteville in the virages he prefered the wfo9 more as it gave him more stability, lower centre of gravity, peace of rolling and surefootness. More fun, but he knows how to ride it. He definietely does not ride it like a 26er.

What do you think bout Intense 2951?
    Why Not? Prototype Intense 2951 - Features - Vital MTB
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 12-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    You rode it wrong and didn't have time for getting used to.

The guy is saying at the end that while he liked the Liteville in the virages he prefered the wfo9 more as it gave him more stability and surefootness. More fun, but he knows how to ride it. He definietely does not ride it like a 26er.

What do you think bout Intense 2951?
    Why Not? Prototype Intense 2951 - Features - Vital MTB

Crainial Rectitus is a sad, sad thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    Ding, ding, ding!!!!

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

I love my HT 29er (Canfield), but am hoping more full suspension 650b options open up soon so I can replace my recently sold Titus Supermoto.
    I bet you could have 650b-ed that Supermoto but maybe the bottom bracket height would have gotten too tall.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    I bet you could have 650b-ed that Supermoto but maybe the bottom bracket height would have gotten too tall.
    I don't like raising BB's. I want a bike that is slack, low AND designed around 650b. I could use a 29er frame with 650b, but wheelbase's are generally longer than I want. Finicky? Yes. But I'm a bit of a princess.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just wondering here... what if I ride with only with a 650 front wheel on my chilcotin?
    what will be the effect?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by loolilon View Post
    Just wondering here... what if I ride with only with a 650 front wheel on my chilcotin?
    what will be the effect?
    It would slacken your HA a little and raise your BB a little also but you would get a better roll over effect.
    I actually am running my Chili as a 650B and like it. I can only get a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 to fit on the back tho.
    BB is 14in. which I like cause I was getting pedal strikes with the 13.5in. BB in steep mode. Using an Ardent 2.3 up front on an Avy'd Fox 36RC2.
    This tire combo might not work well in rocky areas as they not be tough enough, but in the PNW it works very well for me.
    I should add that I only have 3mm clearance on the seatstay so I won't be using this set-up when the mud comes out. It really packs it up.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium