mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Pivot Firebird, Ibis Mojo HD

(Apology in advance to those irritated by _______ vs _______ threads.)

Hey, crew,

Had some time to snuggle up with my El Bastardo since September. Like the bike a lot. Like daves4MTB, though, I'm having reservations about the pairing of this frame with the X-Fusion Velvet RL:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...rd-764072.html

Instead of upgrading the Bastardo, I'm considering scrapping it in lieu of something with more travel and more AM/trail-oriented.

I love my Mach 429 to the ends of the earth for what it does, so naturally, a 650B longer-travel Pivot comes to mind. Firebird could be that bike; AFAIK, it'll work. I'm super high on Pivot reliability and design, though I know a 'Bird would be (comparatively) a rather weighty little sled with 650b Flows.

Not well versed in the Ibis line, but especially with recent news on the Mojo HD140 frame, I'm piqued. Would be very interested in the regular HD. By all I can tell, this bike would build lighter than a Firebird and possibly be a better pick for a guy with XC roots. I don't crash hard and often, so I'm thinking the CF material would not be a huge issue.

The main part to migrate is the Flow/DTS240 wheels (which hopefully will work with the 142 rear TA adapter kit), but not adverse to experimenting with 26" rear/650b front. I have no problem with running 650b on any Fox fork (that it will fit).

Nutshell, I wanted the Bastardo to cover the alternate hemisphere to the XC domain of my 429. I'm feeling like maybe it's not enough bike to do that. You guys with a few bikes no doubt feel (or felt) that.

What I darn sure need to do is demo the 26er version of each. Aside from that exercise, do the voices of experience here have any insights? I'm not dead set on any frame, just wanting a more aggro trail setup I can build up from what might be left of my Bastardo. Firebird and Mojo HD seem like they would satisfy my needs and then some. TIA for advice…

Mike

www.derbyrims.com
    Yup both are excellent bikes. The Firebird is committed to 167mm travel with near 1/2 inch longer chain stay and wheelbase and higher BB. And does clear my 650b x 2.3 Neo-mod easily in every way with no mods. With the longer rear travel the Firebird is a little more jump landing downhill oriented than the Mojo HD160.

The HD160 is more compact and more nimble handling and most likely more durable under the same rider (amazingly, HD hasn't broken yet under anyone in it's years of production). With 650b the HD160 requires a small shock travel shim to avoid scraping the seat tube at bottom out.

The HD with 140mm travel shock is even lower and quicker handling if also using an under 160mm travel fork, and clears 650b with no reservation. The HD140 is sanctioned by Ibis for 650b use.

Both are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Very useful info, derby. Thanks very much for taking the time.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi derby, just to confirm that this is the latest version of the FB (that is 650b compatible)?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Hi derby, just to confirm that this is the latest version of the FB (that is 650b compatible)?
    It's been a couple years. I'm not aware of changes, other than a stronger upper link.

Pivot got the Firebird right for 650b the first time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    derby, thanks, Firebird sounds like a good option.

Members who have read this thread: 0