mtbr member
    May 2006

Pace RC31 420 or 440

on a bike with geometry for a 80mm suspension corrected fork ( Manitou Skareb Super, 80mm)? I may convert my hardtail to 650b in the front. I will have to continue with a 26" wheel in the rear due to clearance issues. Currently my HT angle is 70.5 and BB height is 11.69.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by soly
    on a bike with geometry for a 80mm suspension corrected fork ( Manitou Skareb Super, 80mm)? I may convert my hardtail to 650b in the front. I will have to continue with a 26" wheel in the rear due to clearance issues. Currently my HT angle is 70.5 and BB height is 11.69.

Sounds like a good plan to me! What is the AC dimension on the fork? All you will need to do is determine what the ride hight of the fork is when sagged in, and then compensate for the additional wheel radius. My guess would be that a 80mm travel fork is close to 460-465mm long and around 445-450mm when sagged in. Then you'll need to determine the difference between your current wheel diameter and the diameter of the 650B wheel (650B x 2.3 = 27,72" diameter). Which will likely be in the 15-20mm range.

That would mean you'd need a fork length of approximately 430mm. You could really go either way with the fork choice in this case. 10mm +/- will give you *about* 0.5* of change in the HTA / STA. You may have to adjust your bar and saddle position slightly to compensate. Personally I would probably go with the 420mm fork (assuming the wheel fits). This will sharpen the steering a bit and keep the trail value in check. The only potential down side is that it may lower your BB height a few milimeters.. not a huge issue with a rigid hard tail imo.

'Calm Down'
    A 650b wheel/Neo Moto fits fine in a 420mm Pace RC31 fork. That's what I used on my Bontrager 650b conversion. (Click Here)

jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Members who have read this thread: 0