mtbr member

Options for 5-6 in travel FS 650B.. Or wait?

Looking for FS bike options that are either built for or easily convertible to 650B that are currently out and have 5-6 inches of front and rear travel. I'm a little short for a lot of the FS 29ers that are on the market and 650B looks like a great option.. Benefits of both worlds without much compromise.

I know there's supposed to be a good amount showing up on the market next year.. Should I wait or is there a good option already available?

mtbr member
    MOJO HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry, had to. One of the best 6" bikes on the market 650b compatible boooo yaa!
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Try a Turner Sultan!!!! See post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Try a Turner Sultan!!!! See post.
    I've seen your post cheb and the sultan would be an interesting option. I think the sultan frame is pretty expensive, buy if I could find a small used one maybe that would be possible. I'd also need to look into how much the BB height would drop. I can't remember if your post mentioned that. I'll hafts go back and look..

Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    MOJO HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry, had to. One of the best 6" bikes on the market 650b compatible boooo yaa!
    I've seen a post with the rivnuts on the hd frame rusting. I live in Florida so rust will happen here and this is a big turn off for such a nice bike, do you know if they have taken care of this issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    '11 and newer plain reign fits 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ventana El Bastardo 650b specific, 5.5" rear.

Got a few maiden runs on this WB Loop fork—mind is officially blown. Reluctantly will dial it back to 140mm or 130.

I pitch a tent over the Mojo HD. Would love to ride one.

To wait or pull trigger...maybe depends on how much free time you see coming and when? You could die four months from now

Mike

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    ^^^

That is just so disgustingly sick! \m/

Where'd you find that dropper seatpost cover?
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It came with the post. I though they all did—?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    What kind of a dropper is that? I use an xfusion hilo - I wasn't aware there are any other options for a 27.2 seat tube (which the Bastardo has).

I was going to break up with my Bastardo, but looking at it makes it tough to do. It reminds me of when, 20 years ago, I tried to break up with my then bikini model girlfriend. It just looks too good and is too fun to ride. And not nearly as temperamental!
    dave:

RASE | Black Mamba Rapid Adjust Seatpost...The Ultimate Adjustable Bike Seat Post

Also, KS has the i272 and the Gravity Dropper comes in 27.2.

As I wrote to you: Put a Loop (etc.) on it don't look back in regret. Polygamy is okay

Mike

dwt
    mtbr member
    How about a little love and support for the 650b pioneer, Jamis?

I'm on a 2010 B2 which is one hell of a fun do-it-all 5" trailbike. It climbs, it carves, it's nimble, it descends and it rolls over stuff almost as well as a 29'er. It has changed mt biking for me and I've been doing for over 20 years.

For 2011 and 2012, Jamis upgraded
    the rear suspension, changed the rear axle to 12 x 135 maxle, and tapered the HT. The White brothers Loop is currently the best 650b fork on the market - (the Foxes aren't out yet). The bike is here now. Why wait?

Face it: if it wasn't for Jamis, KHS and Kirk, this forum and 650b wouldn't be here.

They all deserve support, so it is a kick in their teeth to wonder what might come along in another year. A carbon Scott Genius? A Santa Cruz "medium boy"? Specialized Epic?

In September there will be an Enduro on the Whole Enchilada in Moab.
    http://www.enchiladaenduro.com
    Climb up to Burro Pass, then down. IMHO, the Jamis 650b Pro would rock in this race. At 28 lbs, light enough for the climb, but burly enough for the descent. And Kirk has developed the mega moto tire just in time.

If a 650b podiums in an Enduro like this, it will be better publicity than money can buy. Maybe somebody in this forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    My Mojo SL rocks in 650b mode. All you've got to do is pop a couple plastic shims on the shock shaft to limit it to about 130mm travel in the rear. It won't take the fattest tires in the rear, but I'm getting better performance out of a 650b/2.1 tire than I did out of any 26/2.35's anyway so it's not a deal killer for me. With a Revelation 150 and front nevegal 2.35 the bb height is just shy of 14" and it's great in gnarly terrain. A Fox 140 will drop the bb a bit and give it a little more xc-ish handling if that's what you're after.... highly recommended, and there are probably some deals to be had with all the people upgrading to HD's and SLR's.
    The Blur Trc looks like it might as well have been purpose-built for 650b. It's not a cheap bike by any means, but the one that's been posted in the 650b pics thread looks ideal for a light 5" all-rounder with the angles and bb height (I suspect around 13.5-13.9 range depending on fork and tires) to shred rough terrain but still be light,snappy, and fast.... seemed to have gobs of tire clearance.
    My 1st choice remains the Mojo HD: DW suspension, stock compatibility in 140 mode (and full warranty), burly, stiff, and adjustable.... just more Mojo goodness in a slacker, burlier package with better tire clearance and the ability to transform into a long travel all mountain monster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Options for 5-6 in travel FS 650B.. Or wait?-mojo650bsm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^^^what he said^^^

why wait, there are so many good choices now! there have been for awhile really....i rocked a neo moto 650b since 2008....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    I've seen your post cheb and the sultan would be an interesting option. I think the sultan frame is pretty expensive, buy if I could find a small used one maybe that would be possible. I'd also need to look into how much the BB height would drop. I can't remember if your post mentioned that. I'll hafts go back and look..

I've seen a post with the rivnuts on the hd frame rusting. I live in Florida so rust will happen here and this is a big turn off for such a nice bike, do you know if they have taken care of this issue?
    I had the issue (very slight oxidation/rust) I posted on that thread you saw, within 12 hours I had an email from todd at ibis asking who my local bike shop was, and within a few days my bike shop had the replacement nuts, tool to do it, and a tshirt and booklet for me! Can't beat Ibis' customer service. Now that Ibis has approved the HD 140 for 650b it has just confirmed the mojo HD as the most versatile bike on the market! I plan to do 650b on my mojo hd within the next few months when I get the money, just looking for the right set up....
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Alright guys your glowing reviews have me interested. I'm going to call the local ibis dealer and see if they have any Mojo HD 140's built that I can at least see in person. 26, 27.5, 29... I think my head is going to explode soon from all these options. At least I'm sure I want an FS..

mtbr member
    Well, if you're worried about too many options, then that's even more justification for the ultimately flexible HD.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You didn't mention a price range or size you wanted

Mojo HD 140/160 for sure is a top of the food chain conversion and sweet with a capital S. I also lust for this bike.

Turner 5 Spot works as well with no fitment issues. There are places (even Turners site) blowing out 2011 frames. 2012 frames has some nice upgrades and you will pay close to list price but the 11 is still great.

Jamis Dakar 650 B1/B2 have 130mm travel (B2 with the Loop fork could be bumped to 150mm) If you could live with that go to a Jamis dealer and have them check with Jamis on leftover 2011 models. You should be able to get a very very good deal if they have either of those models in your size. MSRP is nuts so ignore that. PM me if you want to know what I paid for my leftover 2011 B2

Ventana will be out with a new 650B bike in a few months which might be worth the wait and should be right in your travel range. They might still have some leftover 650 Bastardo's for a song if you call them.

That Giant Reign might be a really nice choice and can be bought as a frame only if you want to go that route.

Any of the 2011 140mm Marin Mount Visions if you can actually find one make a great conversion.

A newer Remedy or Slash will work but the BB will be sky high.

A bunch of Specialized models fit 650B. You would need to sift through the sticky thread at the top of this page to figure them out. Maybe one of their Enduro models might work or an older Pitch

Santa Cruz Butcher no issues. Can be bought frame only also for a very reasonable price

CD Prophet (like mine) converts perfect. Cheap used Prophets abound if you just want to test the waters.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Y...

Not exactly, by flipping the mino link to the "steep" setting, you get the same bb height as in the "slack" setting, plus the bonus of the steeper and livelier front. Same as 26" with "slack" 67 deg setting....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    You didn't mention a price range or size you wanted

Mojo HD 140/160 for sure is a top of the food chain conversion and sweet with a capital S. I also lust for this bike.

Turner 5 Spot works as well with no fitment issues. There are places (even Turners site) blowing out 2011 frames. 2012 frames has some nice upgrades and you will pay close to list price but the 11 is still great.

Jamis Dakar 650 B1/B2 have 130mm travel (B2 with the Loop fork could be bumped to 150mm) If you could live with that go to a Jamis dealer and have them check with Jamis on leftover 2011 models. You should be able to get a very very good deal if they have either of those models in your size. MSRP is nuts so ignore that. PM me if you want to know what I paid for my leftover 2011 B2

Ventana will be out with a new 650B bike in a few months which might be worth the wait and should be right in your travel range. They might still have some leftover 650 Bastardo's for a song if you call them.

That Giant Reign might be a really nice choice and can be bought as a frame only if you want to go that route.

Any of the 2011 140mm Marin Mount Visions if you can actually find one make a great conversion.

A bunch of Specialized models fit 650B. You would need to sift through the sticky thread at the top of this page to figure them out. Maybe one of their Enduro models might work or an older Pitch

Santa Cruz Butcher no issues. Can be bought frame only also for a very reasonable price

CD Prophet (like mine) converts perfect. Cheap used Prophets abound if you just want to test the waters.
    Good job Skidad...that's a much more thorough and balanced list of options....less fanboyish than mine haha

mtbr member
    Yeah thanks Skidad for the run down.. Good list there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    Looking for FS bike options that are either built for or easily convertible to 650B that are currently out and have 5-6 inches of front and rear travel. I'm a little short for a lot of the FS 29ers that are on the market and 650B looks like a great option.. Benefits of both worlds without much compromise.

I know there's supposed to be a good amount showing up on the market next year.. Should I wait or is there a good option already available?
    If your a little short for 29er Fs then will also have problems with a 26" FS conversion to 650B.They typically have high BB e.g.. Mojo is about 14". That means high bar and stand over height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    If your a little short for 29er Fs then will also have problems with a 26" FS conversion to 650B.They typically have high BB e.g.. Mojo is about 14". That means high bar and stand over height.
    Wow Gvs_nz I'm so glad u mentioned this.. Hadn't given that a whole lot of thought, but yes I have a 29.5" inseam so even on the small frames I'm guessing the added height will likely be an issue..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander View Post
    Not exactly, by flipping the mino link to the "steep" setting, you get the same bb height as in the "slack" setting, plus the bonus of the steeper and livelier front. Same as 26" with "slack" 67 deg setting....
    How can you adjust your angles at a suspension link without it affecting the bb height? Doesn't compute. Please explain....

jrm
    mtbr member

some of the specialized & santa cruz

conversions result in a relatively lower BB then others.

mtbr member
    Yep, it does jack everything up a little bit, which can be an issue with stand over clearance, and remounting in rough terrain... but you won't have to do that any more because you'll be shreddin that sh!t.
    Also, it sounds like an HD 140 may have enough extra bottom out clearance to make eccentric shock mounts an option for lowering the bb (and also slacking things out in the process). It's not clear yet whether this is a viable option, but there are some guys threatening to try it out on their HD's... hopefully we'll see some reports soon.
    All I know is that the array of customization options available for a production bike is astounding on the HD....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Yep, it does jack everything up a little bit, which can be an issue with stand over clearance, and remounting in rough terrain... but you won't have to do that any more because you'll be shreddin that sh!t.
    Also, it sounds like an HD 140 may have enough extra bottom out clearance to make eccentric shock mounts an option for lowering the bb (and also slacking things out in the process). It's not clear yet whether this is a viable option, but there are some guys threatening to try it out on their HD's... hopefully we'll see some reports soon.
    All I know is that the array of customization options available for a production bike is astounding on the HD....
    I have been told of people getting good results with the HD and eccentric shock mounts in either 140 or 150 settings (200 x 57 shock). Should work great with 650b and a lot cheaper and more reliable than an angleset.

Can I add another bike to the mix for 650b use: Liteville 601

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander View Post
    So I had a peek at the Trek web site to check this out and I'm still gonna say no matter what you will end up with a high BB with the 650B wheels

Remember you will add .5" to these numbers with 650B wheels

Remedy Mino Link settings, stock 26" wheels
    BB 13.9"/67 degree HA
    BB 14.2"/67.5 degree HA

Slash Mino Link settings, stock 26" wheels
    BB 14.2"/66 degree HA
    BB 14.4/66.6 degree HA

With 650B wheels
    Remedy will be sporting 14.4" or 14.7" BB height
    Slash will be sporting 14.7" or 14.9" BB height
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I have been told of people getting good results with the HD and eccentric shock mounts in either 140 or 150 settings (200 x 57 shock). Should work great with 650b and a lot cheaper and more reliable than an angleset.

Can I add another bike to the mix for 650b use: Liteville 601
    Only problem with Offset bushings is it will change the leverage ratio profile. Some for the better, others for the worse.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Just a not on tires & fit. Both the new high volume tires, the Megamoto and the coming Schwalbe Hanz Dampf 2.35, fit fine in the WB Loops.
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade, CO - Ride the Rim Trail!
    Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ventana Zeus is coming...140mm/160mm adjustable rear...specs/geo on the website...no pics yet

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Ventana Zeus is coming...140mm/160mm adjustable rear...specs/geo on the website...no pics yet
    That's what I'm talking about

Ventana back on the 650b the cutting edge. Excellent!

Link to the site

This bad boy sounds like it will be an Enduro contender.
    Last edited by dwt; 03-06-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    That's what I'm talking about

Ventana back on the 650b the cutting edge. Excellent!

Link to the site

Yup, agreed this looks really good to me. I sent em my wish list of specs in early Jan. and it hits on almost all of them. STA, HA, BB height, CS length, 142 rear with replaceable dropouts, big 56mm lower tapered head tube etc. No mention of ISCG mount though which I think it should come with std. Custom geometry options and colors are just icing on the cake. Can't wait to see some pics and a ride review.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

SC Blur LT2

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, and mine rocks.

Fred

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have ordered a Ventana Zeus 650b. I think it will be worth the wait.
    AJR

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    I think you are right. All the reports on the Bastardo were good. On paper, this bike will totally rock. The first AM specific 650b on the market, AFAIK.

You've gotta post pics and do a ride report as soon as you can

All on this board envy you, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome, spill some details if you got em. What's the ETA, did they provide you with any pics of the frame (new El Ciclon clone I'm guessing), price, etc...Can't wait to see a review of this new bike and also how it will compare to their 26" El Ciclon.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    very attractive spec!! wanna see the real photo asap!!~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Exciting! Stoked for ya. Sweet as my Bastardo is, I'm getting a hint of pre-envy already. Will channel vicariousness instead

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet, and mine rocks.

Fred
    +1

Damn near perfect trail bike...IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winans View Post
    Just a not on tires & fit. Both the new high volume tires, the Megamoto and the coming Schwalbe Hanz Dampf 2.35, fit fine in the WB Loops.
    wha, wha, WHAT!!!

2.35 Hans Dampf?????

How did I miss that one? What is the ETA?

I'll start saving now.

mtbr member

Agree, not much of an enduro/downhill guy myself but I'll but many of the die hard am/dh 26 guys will start to concider 650 when this frame comes out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonTy1 View Post
    Agree, not much of an enduro/downhill guy myself but I'll but many of the die hard am/dh 26 guys will start to consider 650 when this frame comes out.
    I'm not a gravity stud by any stretch. I don't really think that 650b will appeal to the extreme gravity crowd that need more than 6" travel, but I'm no engineer

I'm just thinking that "AM" covers a fairly big spread from where XC ends and where FR and DH start, and from what I've read, 650b should work well in the 5 - 6" travel range

On the market as we speak as far as I know, dual suspension 650b specific bikes available include Jamis 5" trail bikes and KHS 4" XC bikes.

The Zeus has options for more aggressive riders than what's available now, and I think it could be quite effective in a race like the Moab Whole Enchilada Enduro.

The buzz over the past few months has been 650b + AM = match made in heaven

Ventana looks to be the first to go there. I hope not the last

mtbr member
    So regular Giant Reign 2011-12 works for 650b, but what about the advanced (carbon) frames?
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    also curious whether a 2012 or 2013 specialized enduro carbon frame will accept 650b in the rear... pics would be lovely if anyone knows... done some searching and no luck yet.

dwt
    mtbr member
    As long as we're gonna bump this thread, any ride report on the Zeus?

From the time this thread fizzled, many Trail and AM makers designed 650b rides which will be for sale in 2013. I've read ride reports on Turner, Intense, RM, Norco and Scott. Still nada for the Zeus

Meanwhile, KHS went ahead and built a 650b DH bike which was unforeseen last spring, and Logan Binggelli took third on it at Red Bull Rampage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the bump! Very intrigued that the 650b was a choice for rampage. Question is, was Bingelli given a genuine option/choice? Or did sponsors force feed it? also, sponsors will sometimes create "the appearance of choice"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Conversions passé,dedicated the way,finally the real deal and choices are here!!!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Conversions passé,dedicated the way,finally the real deal and choices are here!!!
    Totally agree. We might have to divide the forum like the 29'er forum.

Dedicated 650b vs Conversions and everything else (69'ers, 36'ers etc)

So, anybody have Zeus ride report?

mtbr member
    Totally agree. We might have to divide the forum like the 29'er forum.

Dedicated 650b vs Conversions and everything else (69'ers, 36'ers etc)

So, anybody have Zeus ride report?

I don't think people will still be doing conversions (or not near as many) once there is a full range of race, trail, AM, and DH bikes in 650b. Now it's almost exclusively AM bikes, so people are still needing to find ways of getting shorter travel 650b rigs. If we see more of a range I think the conversions will pretty much fizzle out.

I should be out riding
    As long as we're gonna bump this thread, any ride report on the Zeus?

From the time this thread fizzled, many Trail and AM makers designed 650b rides which will be for sale in 2013. I've read ride reports on Turner, Intense, RM, Norco and Scott. Still nada for the Zeus

Meanwhile, KHS went ahead and built a 650b DH bike which was unforeseen last spring, and Logan Binggelli took third on it at Red Bull Rampage.

There are a few Zeus posts in the vents a forum. I'd be much more into a 650 el salt with 120mm of travel.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

Members who have read this thread: 0