Opinions on co-op drt 3.2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Opinions on co-op drt 3.2

Is it worth the money ? Better options ?

mtbr member
    I always take a glance at R.E.I.'s Co-op bikes. I don't get too excited me about them for some reason, but that doesn't mean anything.

I wonder, though, is the newer Co-op line just a re-label of their older Novara stuff? As I recall, Novara/R.E.I. had some bumps in the road with lawsuits regarding injuries with bike failure.

Is the DRT 3.2 worth it? I think you could get GX instead of NX hardware for $2800. The rest of the hardware seems in line. But, the best way to tell if it's worth it is for you to ride it. It's gotta fit right!

I've always been of the opinion that in house R.E.I. branded bikes could be cheaper. They are, in a sense, cutting out the middle man since they are the "manufacturer". So I always compare their Co-op brand prices to the likes of YT, Canyon, Whyte, etc. But, they do have the overhead costs of retail stores, so maybe there's less wiggle room. And they do service in house like an LBS.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The small size has 26" wheels and the top tube is betweeen 10 and 25mm shorter than my current bikes. Something is very off with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I don't know about the DRT 3.2 but I have been happy with the quality of my DRT 1.2. I bought it a month ago and have about 25-30 hours of ride time on it. It does not have a desirable brand name but it works very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I work at an REI and have a chance to try them out. They did a good job with a design and spec, imo. All the design was done in-house. The 3.2 is fantastic value. They aren't going to be nimble racers, but that's not the design. They are a "blast through/roll over anything in your way" style of bike. Suspension is a Horst link design - along with half of the industry currently.

Depending where you are, many stores are doing expended rentals now and you can rent the 3.2 for a day to get a good idea of if it's for you or not.

mtbr member
    That's really expensive and poorly spec'd. I prefer basically anything over fsr too. Nx for $2800 is a hard sell.

Hard pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    That's really expensive and poorly spec'd. I prefer basically anything over fsr too. Nx for $2800 is a hard sell.

Hard pass.
    For 2020, industry specs/prices have really taken a poor turn for consumers.

That spec on the DRT 3.2 is actually pretty good for 2020 models in the industry.

Easy to see SX (lower than NX) components on full squish bikes above $2800, even $3000.

I think REI co-op bikes are an excellent deal for many riders the 2-3 times a year they are on sale (15% off). When not on sale, they are a decent deal, but looks like REI prices them not to compete on price but on service/support/store traffic and their 10% back.

mtbr member
    I guess im more commenting on that spec, period. NX still sucks pretty bad. They put on a lot of mid grade parts that hardly work better than cheaper stuff but add a ton of cost. Its a very middle of the road spec'd bike, but I think most casual riders wouldnt care if it was lower spec'd, and more serious riders wouldnt be satisfied with that level either. Honestly, it either should be cheaper or nicer.

Giants trance is $2900 and it comes with SLX, which I think is considerably better. Canyons spectral absolutely blows it out of the water at $2900 with GX and much better everything. YT's offerings at that price is good too. On the lower end, marins hawk hill is only $1500 if you're going for entry level stuff.

Or go a different way... a santa cruz 5010 can be had for $2600. The spec isnt great by any means, but honestly I would want to change everything on the DRT right away anyway, so you're really just left with the frame at that point.

I just think an off-brand NX bike with lower end suspension for $2800 doesnt represent a good value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I guess im more commenting on that spec, period. NX still sucks pretty bad. They put on a lot of mid grade parts that hardly work better than cheaper stuff but add a ton of cost.
    I'm sorry, I gotta call you out for being a bit of a snob. NX sucking pretty bad? Maybe if you're used to rocking XTR. NX and SLX are workhorses which work great and provide excellent performance for a fraction of a cost of a high end component group. They work noticeably better than SX or Deore and absolutely eclipse anything less than that. There are many "serious riders" out there who are absolutely psyched to be able to afford a bike with SLX or NX.

(SRAM vs Shimano is a separate discussion, which each having their fanboys.)

The Trance is good value, no doubt - it's not hard when you own all the factories. I honestly have no idea how Canyon makes a profit with their prices - but the majority of riders are going to have to add in assembly costs to the price of the bike on top of the purchase. Then you just go off the rails bringing up the 5010. Yeah, it's a Santa Cruz, but SX with a RECON fork? What did you say? Hard pass. You are absolutely correct, the comparison ends up being a Santa Cruz frame vs a fully spec'd bike.

I'm happy to discuss the ride characteristics and overall value of different bikes - but when you're disingenuous from the very start, it's hard to have a reasonable discussion.

(Also, FSR isn't a type of suspension, it's branding from Specialized for their Horst-link, four-bar design. Which is what's found on the aforementioned Canyon Spectral - but now I'm just being catty.)

mtbr member
    I took SLX over NX, and I think its a good call.

But my full SLX orbea was $1800 shipped from jenson. I've been riding for a long time now and im thrilled with SLX, but if I was paying $1000 more for a bike, it better not come with a worse group, worse suspension, and a off-brand frame. Its more being a cheap ass than a snob, $2800 isnt cheap.

Theres nothing disingenuous about that at all. That bike is overpriced. Comparable bikes are up to $1000 less, and similarly priced bikes are better spec'd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's a damn good price and I'm glad you're enjoying it. The tone of the first response bleed into my own response, which served neither of us well.

Good riding out there!