mtbr member

Opinion on tires for 650b

So As I don't ride in the winter I have had some new wheels built for my Sonix 650b
    These will be my light weight in shape long days in the saddle wheels.
    There Stans 355's with DT240s hubs Ive been riding the stock WTB Lazerdisk's with Kenda Nevagal's 2.1 Everyone seems to think the kendas are to slow rolling? Since there all Ive had I don't notice it but do enjoy there "sure-footedness"
    So my question is what tire would you go with for the light weight wheels without sacrificing to much in terms of grip? Also are the 2.3's that much better up front?
    The kendas are pretty much worn out so at a minimum I am looking at purchasing 3 tires(I could move the front nevagal to the rear of the WTB wheelset and save a little coin.)
    I'm in Tenn/Western N.C for my riding. Rocky, rooty trails lots of climbing. I am more XC than AM for sure and enjoy all day riding when in shape for it

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ....my wife is using pacenti neo-moto 2.1 on stans rims, running them tubeless....
    ..they were easy to mount on the rims, and are staying inflated....
    ....she likes the tires....

NedwannaB
    Agree with this^^^. Will also add your trail conditions/riding season sounds good for Wolverines if you can find some, maybe up front as they are fairly decent 2.2's, and maybe a Racing Ralph in back for some grip.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Wolverines might be good.

Can't go wrong with any of the Pacenti tires either in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    So As I don't ride in the winter I have had some new wheels built for my Sonix 650b
    These will be my light weight in shape long days in the saddle wheels.
    There Stans 355's with DT240s hubs Ive been riding the stock WTB Lazerdisk's with Kenda Nevagal's 2.1 Everyone seems to think the kendas are to slow rolling? Since there all Ive had I don't notice it but do enjoy there "sure-footedness"
    So my question is what tire would you go with for the light weight wheels without sacrificing to much in terms of grip? Also are the 2.3's that much better up front?
    The kendas are pretty much worn out so at a minimum I am looking at purchasing 3 tires(I could move the front nevagal to the rear of the WTB wheelset and save a little coin.)
    I'm in Tenn/Western N.C for my riding. Rocky, rooty trails lots of climbing. I am more XC than AM for sure and enjoy all day riding when in shape for it
    Neo 2.1 is a great tire, front or rear. will be similar, if not bigger, than the Nev 2.1 . Faster, slightly less grip. Racing Ralph is same size as Neo 2.1. it's another step down in traction but increase in speed and you loose lots of weight. Good choice on the back if you think they may be a bit sketchy on the front. Surprisingly good edges though.

mtbr member
    Wolverines are on my "fast," 650b-ike. Racing Ralphs are lighter and slightly lower volume but might be a bit fragile for everyday use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Has WTB started making wolverines yet?

NedwannaB

Haven't seen in site yet

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Has WTB started making wolverines yet?
    Funny I didn't realize they listed the 26" Wolverines in their "AM" catagory. I wouldn't mind picking up a fresh pair of Wolvs but not sure any supply houses even have old runs in stock either.

But just surfing thru the site got me thinking wouldn't a 650B Nano be an awesome tire??!?!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My go to "fast" tires that are on my light weight wheels are Racing Ralph front and Quasi Moto rear. My other set of wheels wear a Wolverine up front and Racing Ralph in the rear. For the trails I ride that is probably the most tire I ever need. I have used nevegals, the traction is great, but they are way too slow. If you want a high traction tire I think the Neos are way superior to Nevegals just because they roll so much faster.

But the bottom line is it really depends on the trails you ride which tires will work best for you.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great input everyone!
    After some consideration I ordered a Neo-moto for the front and a Quasi-moto for the rear.
    The racing Ralph was tempting but I ride a lot of sharp rock trails and many reviews sighted the sidewalls as very prone to rock cut's. This along with the fact I don't race tells me the Ralph is probably a little to light for my riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0