mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Which one? Giant Anthem Advanced SX 2017 or custom Focus Spine C

Coming from a 29er pretty basic hardtail I'm thinking about getting a fully. I have been looking the new Giant Anthem Advanced SX 2017: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications
    that I can get a good deal on since I work at a bike shop, bu we also have already available a Focus Spine C pro: Focus - Bikes: 2016: SPINE C PRO

I'm more a SRAM guy, so swapping the groupset on the Focus for an Eagle X01, adding Guide RSC brakes, dropper and a set of nicer wheels will cost me slightly less than getting the Giant. But wheels, fork and shock I think are better on the Anthem. What should I do? Which frame is better? I have heard pretty good things about the Maestro system, but the Focus frame I think its lighter. I like to climb as well as descending.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anthem SX

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm confused, the Focus has trail spec but no dropper? I'd say go the giant

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd look really hard at the geometry differences, specifically, Chainstay length, overall wheelbase and Front Center. You need to compare them to past bikes you have ridden and what you like.

Also check out the Spine Factory C, it has a different spec with SRAM

Also note the boost rear on the Giant vs more traditional spacing on the Focus.

That Focus is interesting and reminds me of the Thunderbolt which I've always wanted to try. Enduro mag did a comparison review of some XC/Trail 27.5 and they rated the Focus as overall winner with a good bang/buck: FOCUS SPINE C Factory Review | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

I think the Focus with a slightly longer fork and dropper would be an excellent all-around ripper.

I do not give much faith to the criticism on not having a dropper speced on a stock frame. More important is that the cable routing is there. Droppers are like saddles, grips, pedals in that they are a very personal choice.

I too am SRAM guy so the Shimano parts spec doesn't appeal to me on the Focus.

Either way, I'm sure you'll end up with a ripper bike. It just depends on how much after the fact customization you want.

mtbr member
    I demo'd the new Anthem and was blown away. I rode it at Kingdom Trails in VT, and it was the perfect bike for there. SO light, quick, efficient but plush suspension. I will definitely be demoing again next year to see how it holds up to slightly steeper chunkier trails, and if I am comfortable with it for that type of riding (which only makes up a smaller % of the overall trails I ride) I will be looking for one on sale/lightly used.