Which one is a better buy? Mach 4 vs 575- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which one is a better buy? Mach 4 vs 575

Do either of these jump out as being a better buy than the other? I'm leaning towards the Pivot, but if the Pivot had such a mellow life, why does it have a new freehub? Hmmmmm. Any thoughts from another set of eyes would be great. We have both of these bikes in our family, and I like them equally. I also would like the lighter of the two. I currently have a 2006 aluminum 575 that is lighter than my son's carbon Mach 6, so I'm not assuming the carbon Pivot is lighter.

Thanks!

2015 Pivot Mach 4 - carbon - XS (sz 14)
    Fantastic all around for the smaller rider!
    DW Link suspension for maximum traction and control.
    Fox suspension
    Shimano XT drivetrain & hydraulic disc brakes
    DT Swiss X392 wheelset
    KS Lev internal dropper post
    Set up tubeless, new chain
    Very few miles on new pads, rotors and freehub
    Extra set of brand new Maxxis tires included
    -Less than 900 easy miles on it, under a mild mannered rider. Maintained through Studio Velo, Mill Valley, where it was built, and Trek Bikes S.F.
    In great shape due to a mellow life!
    PRICE $2800

2015 Yeti 575 size Small 27.5" wheels. Top of the line build. Female owned and very lightly used, like new!
    RockShox Pike Dual Air Charger Damper
    FOX Factory shock
    SRAMXX1 Carbon drivetrain (shifter, rd, crankset)
    Sram 1195 x-dome cassette
    Shimano XT ice tech brakes
    RaceFace SixC carbon handlebar
    SDG partiot saddle
    WTB Frequency / DT Swiss 350 wheelsets
    WTB lock one grips or matching Ourys
    Price $2500

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is this bike purchase for one specific person? If so, I'd use geometry as the decision point. The Mach 4 XS is one of the smallest production frames around and sometimes one of the few options for hard to fit smaller riders. I've seen some built very light.

That DTSwiss 392 freebody looks to be the cheaper DT which is a basic pawl system. It doesn't have as good a reputation as their star system in the DT 240s DT 350s.

Other big things to consider is how you like the DW link compared to the 575 suspension, and aesthetics. One thing that always turned me off on the Mach 4 is that down tube bend.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input ashwinearl. Yes, it's for me. I like both bikes and both feel good to me. A good point you make, though, and I should ride them back to back if the snow (?!) stops here. My 575 is a 2006 and I really enjoy riding my son's 27.5 Pivot, so it's time to upgrade. Their down bend doesn't bother me, but it always looked like a girl's bike to me even in black. It would bother me if I was a guy.

As an aside, Pivot gave super deep discounts to my son's devo XC Mtn bike team here, so every kid starting on the team rode a Pivot since it was the only serious bike anyone under five feet could fit/race on. Dozens of kids under the age of twelve on $6000 Pivots, and now Pivot dominates our town thanks to their funky geometry. Always makes me laugh. My son realized early on that enduro was more his speed, and got a Mach 6.

Appreciate the input!

EDR
    I rode/owned multiple 575's. Started on a '05 or '06, then bought an '08, then a '12 (crash frame replacement). I always, always loved my 575's. Super plush with "endless travel" feel.

Last October I finally said goodbye to the yeti's and bought a new Ibis Mojo3. Can't speak to the Pivot as I've never ridden one, but this DW link Mojo blows the old ASR suspension out of the water imo. Ya, my Mojo is a little more 'skippy' in the chunk as it only has 130mm of rear travel, but I paired it with a 150mm Pike and for climbing, undulating trails, standing and mashing or sitting and spinning pedals...it's hands-down superior in every other way. I had PUSH'd every fox shock I had on my 575's to help reduce the major mid-stroke wallow that is inherent. On the Mojo DW I leave the shock full open and have never thought of hitting a switch aside from curiosity.

Based on suspension design alone, I'd say DW for the win.