Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Obi's Project Green-Machine Begins!!! 650B Surly 1x1

What up, everyone!

Not sure it's all known, but we've started on the Surly1x1 650b bike, and for now it'll rock the Panaracer Col De La Vie tires.

I'll post pics in this thread as it all gets assembled, it's an XS 14" for your's truely to get out more often

So far, so good, the Surly-Disc hubs and DT-Swiss spokes should arrive this week, as for rims, well, the Synergy's came via Rivendell, rear's gonna be standard (symmetrical), while the front's gonna be offset (asymmetrical). Yep, gonna run the asymmetrical up front, with the offset to the left to give a sweel looking, all silvery set of ZERO DISH Wheels!!!

Looking like spokes should be 274's and 275's...as they only come in evens, I might just try 276's for now.

Ultimately this bike will be designed to be both recreationally fun, while a sheer joy to commute with, blending both a bit of the past, with a bit of current technology.

Pics to follow in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by Obi; 01-09-2008 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Tell us more about thes Panaracer tires you speak of.

ARe they more of a touring tire?

nothing relevant to say
    Panaracer Col De La Vie are a touring tire. They can fit a standard 700c bike, and still fit fenders. Check out www.rivbike.com

mtbr member
    ahhh-------got my hopes up there.

Oh well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think the 1x1 was made for 650b's more so than 26ers. I'm pushing a taller gear than ever because the thing rolls over the rough stuff so much easier!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by madnessmoose
    I think the 1x1 was made for 650b's more so than 26ers. I'm pushing a taller gear than ever because the thing rolls over the rough stuff so much easier!
    So, as evidenced by the pic above, yes you can run Kirk's Tires* on a 1x1!!! Woot-Woot!!!
    *Depends on frame size though, we're not too sure they'll work on the rear of my XS frame yet...

Hey Big john!! Lemme see, CK Hubs and Avid Brakes, where's me thinks me seen that before...Great Choice BTW!!

How're things at CycleSmith these days??

*We're joined by one of the cooler shop people from Saltlake City folks!~! What's up, come to SeaOtter to join in the fun and visit us!!

looks like the spokes and hubs arrived via UPS today...onto the build...

**Anyone wanting to hear from John and the guys...go here:

https://www.cyclesmithslc.com/2007/1...ng-like-a-bee/

John, what gear ratio you pulling, I'm going to try the 36x17 w/ 175's for now w/ the C-D-V's for the 26 mile round trip, report will of course follow.
    Last edited by Obi; 01-09-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    So, as evidenced by the pic above, yes you can run Kirk's Tires* on a 1x1!!! Woot-Woot!!!
    *Depends on frame size though, we're not too sure they'll work on the rear of my XS frame yet...

Hey Big john!! Lemme see, CK Hubs and Avid Brakes, where's me thinks me seen that before...Great Choice BTW!!

How're things at CycleSmith these days??

*We're joined by one of the cooler shop people from Saltlake City folks!~! What's up, come to SeaOtter to join in the fun and visit us!!

looks like the spokes and hubs arrived via UPS today...onto the build...

**Anyone wanting to hear from John and the guys...go here:

https://www.cyclesmithslc.com/2007/1...ng-like-a-bee/

John, what gear ratio you pulling, I'm going to try the 36x17 w/ 175's for now w/ the C-D-V's for the 26 mile round trip, report will of course follow.
    Obi,

Good luck with the build, post some pics once she's all set up with the C'DLV's and throw some fenders on while your at it!

BTW, I had QBP build my Synergy's with the asym up front too... really makes a difference imo.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    MM,

Your right, you'd be hard pressed to design a better 650B single speed than the 1x1 even if you were starting with a clean sheet of paper.

Fwiw, this rig is one of the best looking conversions I have seen to date! I am glad to hear the tires are working out so well for you.

mtbr member
    Cool conversion Maddness, Stunning photo, great work! (Kirk I think you have your tire marketing photo for 2008!)
    Last edited by Morpheous; 01-09-2008 at 08:18 AM.
    2015 Budnitz MTB Ti Limited 650B
    2015 Surly Instigator 2.0 26+/27.5+

mtbr member
    That Surly is gorgeous. Can those Velocity rim stickers be removed? The bike would look a lot "cleaner" without them in my opinion.

Witty McWitterson
    MMcG and beaverliquor...er biker.... yes and yes. Stupid name. Bad stickers. Come off veeeerrrryy easily.
    Just a regular guy.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ...

Allright folks, just spent my evening camped out in the living room lacng the wheels up, got stupid at first and forgot to flip the front rim, so spent another 20-or-so minutes tearing 'em back down and re-lacing them up. *

*Funny note, you'd think the wide side went towards the disc, but when I used 274's all the way around, instead of making this too-hard-thunk, it ended up w/ the offset back to the right.

~Now, this is only under initial assembly, on a front, Surly Disc hub, and I'll need to finish the tensioning tomorrow, but in typical fashion w/ my wheels when i build them, all the spoke "nipples" are initially to the end of the threads, awaiting the nipple-driver, and it's rolling even dish, and pretty darn true, same for the rear, which is a standard. *See attatched pics, see, general rule of thumb is if the spokes are wrong, you'll get every other or every 4th spoke sticking out a bit from the inside of the rim, check it out, all even...Hmmm, am I that good?

So, anyhow, gotta get some sleep, I'll throw some tension on the wheels tomorrow and get it all mocked up. For the initial look, throwing the tires on pretty much says I could likely fit the Neo-Moto''s on with little problem, even w/ the XS frame. But that's for another write up.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    BTW, I had QBP build my Synergy's with the asym up front too... really makes a difference imo.
    Kirk, am I thinking correctly on the front rim?? Tell me yours is the same, or if the "open side" ends up facing the disc rotor.

You'd think logic like w/ a rear asym is to the right, so why shouldn't this go left??
    **Crap, maybe I laced it right the first time, and having the extra beverage confused me??

Shoot me a pic of your wheels, I'm looking at it thinking I did it right the second time, and there's nothing to worry about.

**Francois, if you're watching this, come by tomorrow, I will hopefully have it all pretty much together by 4pm, you can spin it, while I shoot pics!!
    Last edited by Obi; 01-10-2008 at 03:12 AM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Panaracer Col De La Vie are a touring tire. They can fit a standard 700c bike, and still fit fenders. Check out www.rivbike.com
    (sorry for veering this thread a little off-topic, but here's a good read on a 700c conversion to 650B. I think this kind of conversion is pretty darn cool to make those road bikes, with minimal clearance for fat 700c tires + fenders, able to accept some fatter tires with fenders. I'm contemplating doing it to my old RB-1).

Okay, back on topic - I dig that photo with the bright green in contrast to the snow and the city below. Running an asymmetrical rim in front with disc hubs is a great idea.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Running an asymmetrical rim in front with disc hubs is a great idea.
    Especially when you think you've built it wrong, then actually built it wrong, wasting another batch of time, to finally lace 'em right, they're the "stuff" yo!!

It's gonna roll soooo smooth!!!

Ok, days getting better...for those that don't know yet, I'm able to work on my stuff right now at home all I want.
    Last edited by Obi; 01-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

your half link is on backwards. other then that nice

obi good luck on the build. these big wheeled ss bikes facsinate me

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    what kind of chain is on that green 1x1?
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey howdy!
    I'm running a 32x18...the same I was running with 26' wheels. A little steaper gear but with the bigger wheel though I'm rolling through the rough stuff and techy sections way easier; so it still seems to be 'my ideal gearing'. The chain is a KMC Pintle bmx chain. All half links. After almost a year of use and two different bikes it has finally met it's maker. I'm just running a Sram pc-58 chain as of late. Other mods have been black Acid Carbon Crank Brothers pedals and a new green White Industries chainwheel. Love the pedals by the way. I've been riding 3-4 times a week, nightly, here on the Shoreline trail in SLC and the benefiets of the 650b wheel are impossible to dismiss. If anyone is considering the wheel size to rally some trails I highly recommend it. More smiles per hour than you've ever experienced!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I doubt I can make it for Sea Otter. However, I plan on attending SSWC08 in Napa if you'd like to meet up for some riding and bar crawling, eh? ~Peace!~

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ...

Sorry I haven't posted the build process up so far, needless to say, had some other drama happening that took precedent, but both hoops are now laced, and awaiting the final tensioning.

I'll get all "clicky" tomorrow or Monday, and get shots of the first ride, and post impressions.

..and yes, my user's name has changed, and no I don't wanna talk about it all, link's in the sig line though if you're curious.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    OK, here's the semi-completed build, and I must say, it rolls like a dream!!

Smoth, even, same height w/ the CDV's as a 26, commuter's dream, no gears to worry about, and a decent flat bar to hang a basket if you so desire.

Still to finish is the wheel retension check and installing the crankset and bars when they arrive.

Pics aren't too scenic, as I'm pretty busy, but the 2nd and 3rd show the clearances, I am curious to find out if Kirk's tires will clear, so if someone's in the S.F. Bay Area w/ a set, or Kirk want's to loan a set, we'll give 'er the good try and post up on that.

mtbr member
    It has been done befor on the KM - Neomotos will clear just fine and with ample room for mud shedding too!!!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Yes, on a KM, and yes, on John's bike in the pic above, but on a XS 1x1 frame, not yet, thus why we still need to see...

mtbr member
    Are the chainstays shorter on an XS?

Edit: chainstays are all the same length so why wouldn't it work on an XS?

Should be fine.
    Last edited by MMcG; 01-17-2008 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sweet!

Bikeman just shipped my wheels and tires today, so I am within a week of setting up my fixed gear 650B Surly 1x1.

- AR

Members who have read this thread: 0