Niner Rip 9 27.5 vs Transition Scout- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Niner Rip 9 27.5 vs Transition Scout

Ive narrowed down my next trail bike to either the Niner Rip 9 RDO 27.5 or the new Transition Scout 27.5. I havent had a chance to ride either so Im basing my decision off of geometry and things Ive read online. Im coming off of an Evil Insurgent so Im looking for something with high fun factor. It still needs to spin up quickly and climb well though because im riding up and down trails (east coast rocks, roots, tech).

Im 5'6 and my Insurgent is a size. Id probably stick with a small in either the Rip or Scout.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm also looking for a trail bike like this for my wife. Man the geo between these bikes is pretty significantly different tho. If I recall correctly, even the Large Niner doesn't have as much reach as a MEDIUM Scout. The new Scout is pretty dang long and that 64d HTA pretty DH slack. That will be super stable and work great if your trails are real steep and rowdy and not too tight...but its a Give-and-Take so there will be some downside in having a bike that long. The Niner looks more like a RM Altitude or Yeti SB140 than being similar to a Scout.

I'd demo that Scout for sure to see if that length is worth the downsides in agility on that east coast tech. Might be awesome...might not be. Some people really like long bikes tho. Its hip these days. At 5-6 you might be in-line with a medium bike in the Niner. Small Scout might be spot on tho and mitigate some of the length issues. I don't think the Scout hasn't traditionally been a killer climber tho. DWLink bikes by Pivot and Ibis certainly do something special going up and are fun down. I rode an Ibis Ripmo and its crazy how well they climb without ever needing a climb-switch while still descending really well.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I hear what your saying. Ive ridden Pivots and Ibis before and they (429SL and Mojo3 respectively) didnt do much for me. Those are different bikes than current offerings so who knows. Demo, demo, demo right?

I have a Fezzari signal peak for a long travel 29er and it climbs very well and descends great too. I was looking for a 27.5 now though.

You want to buy my insurgent for your wife?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The insurgent seems to fit the bill for you to a degree (similar to the Niner Geo). What are you missing in the Insurgent that you are looking to get? If its more travel the Ibis HD5 pedals well I hear.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    The insurgent seems to fit the bill for you to a degree (similar to the Niner Geo). What are you missing in the Insurgent that you are looking to get? If its more travel the Ibis HD5 pedals well I hear.
    Good question...i guess better pedaling and climbing. The insurgent is great when pointed down or at speed but maintaining that speed is tough. I was wondering if the steeper seat tube angle of the Scout would help make the bike more lively

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Ive narrowed down my next trail bike to either the Niner Rip 9 RDO 27.5 or the new Transition Scout 27.5. I havent had a chance to ride either so Im basing my decision off of geometry and things Ive read online. Im coming off of an Evil Insurgent so Im looking for something with high fun factor. It still needs to spin up quickly and climb well though because im riding up and down trails (east coast rocks, roots, tech).

Im 5'6 and my Insurgent is a size. Id probably stick with a small in either the Rip or Scout.

I've got a Medium Rip 9 27.5 for sale if you're interested.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/panchosdad/buysell/

Plush, smooth, great cornering, great traction. I wouldn't call it a great climbing or pedaling bike.