Newbie Question: Roscoe vs Fluid HT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Newbie Question: Roscoe vs Fluid HT

Hi all,

This is my first post as a newbie to this forum and to "proper" mountain biking. (well, not "proper" in some eyes).

Background: Want a 27.5 inch hardtail of decent quality, but not too expensive.

Shortlist: Trek Roscoe 6 vs Norco Fluid HT 2/3

Prices: $1,300 (HT3) vs $1,500 (Rosoce) vs $1,700 (HT2)

I am not really interested at this stage as to which bike is "better". For my level and interest, they will both be amazing bikes, ample for my needs for the next 5 years.

My main question is regarding tyres:

(Happy to geek out about all the ins and outs and pros and cons of both these bikes separately, but for now, my main question is tyres)

Assuming most of the components are similar, and both great bikes, I think a big difference will be in the tyres.

Roscoe = 2.8 Kenda Havok
    Fluid HT = 2.4 Maxxis Ardent

Does anyone have solid views on this? I have obviously read all the simplistic pros and cons, but still hard to gauge what better.

My current tyre on an entry level Giant is a "Giant" 27.5 x 2.1

Therefore, both tyres will be much better.

Question: Will the 2.4 be enough of a difference over my 2.1's or will the proper PLUS size tyre on the Trek make a huge difference?

Also: Kenda tyres on Roscoe don't get great reviews. Would the "better" Ardent make up for its narrower width?

I don't need to do huge speed and am not focused on XC, so I don't feel like the 2.8 will be too slow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for anything anyone has to offer.

Shane

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I didn't look into your other bike selection but the Kenda tires on the Roscoe 6 are a wire bead tire and they are not considered tubeless ready if you're looking to go that route. On a side note, I have 2.8 tires on two of my bikes and I would not consider them slow when dialed in with the proper pressures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy E View Post
    I didn't look into your other bike selection but the Kenda tires on the Roscoe 6 are a wire bead tire and they are not considered tubeless ready if you're looking to go that route. On a side note, I have 2.8 tires on two of my bikes and I would not consider them slow when dialed in with the proper pressures.

Thanks very much Tommy for the message. Yeah, I guess I could always ask Trek to swap them for Maxxis Rekon that the Roscoe 7 runs and pay the difference. Approx $50 per tyre extra I guess, but that tyre gets much better reviews.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I would actually consider upgrading your current bike. Low end shimano still shifts well. Upgrade the brakes to shimano slx $300. Upgrade the fork to a top of the line suntour fork using their upgrade program $500. Upgrade the wheels $600. Giant talons frames are pretty nice al frames. This would completely transform your current bike. If you want more of a trail bike just bump your travel from 100mm to 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    I would actually consider upgrading your current bike. Low end shimano still shifts well. Upgrade the brakes to shimano slx $300. Upgrade the fork to a top of the line suntour fork using their upgrade program $500. Upgrade the wheels $600. Giant talons frames are pretty nice al frames. This would completely transform your current bike. If you want more of a trail bike just bump your travel from 100mm to 120mm.

Thanks MillerC for the response and thoughts. I didn't know if I would get into it, so I bought the Giant as a go-between that would also suit my wife (who is 5cm shorter than me).

Now I am hooked, I want to buy the right size frame. The Giant is a bit too small and geometry is a bit too XC focused.