mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New rider and bike owner- please help with tire question

Hello all,

I'm new to mountain biking and new to this forum. I started riding in July 2013 and bought a 2013 KHS hardtail 650b in November 2013 because the shop offered me a great deal and I had been out on the rental a few times. It's a solid bike and I'll grow into it, but I am not comfortable on the Maxxis Crossmarks it came with. They do not perform well for me in wet, muddy conditions, or is it that I just don't perform well in wet, muddy conditions yet? I also struggle with them on stones going uphill and on branches going downhill. My question is, how do you know a tire isn't working for you? Should I keep up with these Crossmarks, or should I buy nobbier tires? I'm currently looking at the Specialized Ground Controls that have come out for 650b's. Not that I'm a Specialized lover or hater, but the tire seems to be what I'm looking for and at the right price. I'm also looking at the Kenda Tomac Nevegal for $10 more each. I'd pickup the Nobby Nic's if I was rich. Using a speedy tire isn't a top priority right now. I'm mainly riding in the Midwest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not a Specialized fan at all, but do love their tires and Dropper. The only way you'll know is to try it.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    May 2013

New rider and bike owner- please help with tire question

Nevegals are good for muddy conditions as they dig in well and find grip. You can go for those. As for specialized I have no tried it.happy experimenting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm going to say this because you mentioned specialized tires and "for the money" etc. - I have a friend who adores the GC tires you're looking at. And it seems like he rips the sidewalls out of them about once a week. But he wants a light weight grippy tire. My tire of choice has become the Maxxis Ardent, 2.4 up front, 2.25 in the back.

Just a flesh wound
    I would look at the Pacenti Neo Moto in a 2.3 front 2.1 back. Best all around tire I've used. Fast and grippy. I run mine at 25 PSI front and 28 PSI rear. What pressure are you running?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    All good advice.

Athief, the only way you'll know for sure is to try different tires.... they're so much about personal preference that in the end you need to ride to know, although reviews and recommendations can help point you in the right direction.

I love the Crossmark as a rear tire in dry and less extreme conditions, but if you ride in chunky, rocky terrain something tougher and fatter will benefit you. I've used the Nevegals extensively and still love the 2.35 up front for it's tacky grip across all sorts of conditions, including slick rock and wet trails. Continental's "Black Chili" rubber compound is highly regarded for offering better than average wet rock/root grip... the Trail King 2.2 might be the ticket for all around confidence and grip in various conditions including the wet, with a pretty decent size/volume, without being a massive pig of a tire like some of the new oversized 2.35's or 2.4 treads are....not that there's anything wrong with being massive, just may not be the best match for a light weight hard tail.

I like the Ground Control too, but I've ripped a couple of them also. It's a good middle of the road, decent at everything type of tread, which I tend to like. I haven't ridden the Purgatory, but it looks good and comes with a tougher casing.

Generally speaking, tires with a softer rubber compound (40 or 50 durometer) will grip better in the wet but where out faster than harder (60 durometer) tires.

Back on Nevegals... I love the 2.35....hate the 2.1...they're not fat enough for low pressure, good absorption, and grip in the wet. The cornering knobs are so flexy that they corner like poo in the dry, and they roll slow as molasses on a winter day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you for your replies. I'm passing on the Ground Controls this year because I'm not sold on their resiliency. I'm going Nevegal 2.35's or the Trail King's. To decide tomorrow. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Another vote for Nevegal 2.35's Ive ran the neo moto as well but the Nevegal is more robust and grips the best for me. I ride rooty rocky wet east coast conditions.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!