mtbr member
    Feb 2018

New to mtb, need some input

Hello to all, im new to riding mountain bikes. I know theres tons of info on this topic but i need some input on my specific situation and what i should do. Any info is well appreciated.

I stopped by local bike shop earlier today to order a new bike, guess you can say i got the bike bug, ive been riding an old 2006(i think) specialized stumpjumper that my dad handed me down, cant tell what trim since nothing seems to be stock on it anymore. Anyways., i ordered a 2018 giant trance 2 (seems to be the best bang for my budget) medium size. Im right around 5'6, now the giant website puts me on a small frame, but when i test rode a small one it felt tiny, like the handle bars were too close to my body, recently i found out the stumpjumper ive been riding its a large frame so that could be the reason why the small giant feels so small. Also test rode a medium one but the 2017 model which has a longer stem. It felt better as in it felt closer to my stumpy. The guys at my local shop said to get a medium to have more cockpit room but they seem to be a bit unprofessional so i left the place feeling a bit unsure. None the less i ordered a medium which they said they would order on monday, (today is saturday) . I have time to call them and request the small instead.

Question is what size should i go with? Bike is almost $3000 otd so i want to make the right choice as i feel thats a lot of money for a bike (for me at least).

Does the small just feels small because ive been riding a large and i have pretty much no expiriance as what right shoukd feel like anyways? Should i order small and just get used to it? (I guess some engineers already took the time to decide the right size for me after all right?) or Should i stick with medium since im already somewhat used to the larger size? I plan do trail riding some small jumps, some tecnical stuff. Im about 175lbs kinda large build from hitting the weights for a few years.

Again i know this has been discussed before but i cant seem to make my mind on it. Just want to hear some input from people with more riding time under their belt than me. Thanks for reading

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Are you still growing? If so, I’d go with the Medium for sure. Either way if you feel more comfortable on it, then that is the most important. Sizing guides are just guides as everybody’s body proportions are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cycologist
    It's hard to tell over the internet, do you have long legs or a long trunk? How is the Stumpjumper set up? If it has a longer stem and narrow bars, a modern bike is going to feel like the handlebars are a lot closer, especially as you said, going from a large to a small. Did you ride a medium or just the small? I think I would call them and just tell them to hold off on ordering until you can get some more info on which size to go with. There is a Giant forum on this site, maybe you can find someone about you size if you post there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Co Springs
    Add your inseam and sleeve length to a post about this and other can have more to go on. As for bike shop staff helping with size and knowing what they are doing, it seems that is the more common weakness with many although some exceptions are very good at it. I've never been on a bike that felt too small and wasn't. Hold it off with the shop and they will probably respect you but in the end, the most important thing is getting it right.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    IME the longest bike you can fit a decent dropper post on has always been better. A shorter stem may be necessary but I feel better on shorter.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Are you still growing? If so, I’d go with the Medium for sure. Either way if you feel more comfortable on it, then that is the most important. Sizing guides are just guides as everybody’s body proportions are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    unfortunately im not growing anymore. im 31.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It's hard to tell over the internet, do you have long legs or a long trunk? How is the Stumpjumper set up? If it has a longer stem and narrow bars, a modern bike is going to feel like the handlebars are a lot closer, especially as you said, going from a large to a small. Did you ride a medium or just the small? I think I would call them and just tell them to hold off on ordering until you can get some more info on which size to go with. There is a Giant forum on this site, maybe you can find someone about you size if you post there.
    my stumpjumper has a 60mm stem and 710mm+/- bars. saddle is pushed back all the way but never payed attention to it before.

i rode a small 2018(30mm stem) and medium 2017 (60mm stem) the 2018 should have a 30mm stem. medium felt closer to my stumpjumper. but i went for a ride today and tried to pay attention on how i felt, i felt like i was reaching the handlebars maybe a bit too much. i have a sore lower back now, maybe from leaning so much. the small trance will put me at almost an upright position.wrists feel sore too.

Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Add your inseam and sleeve length to a post about this and other can have more to go on. As for bike shop staff helping with size and knowing what they are doing, it seems that is the more common weakness with many although some exceptions are very good at it. I've never been on a bike that felt too small and wasn't. Hold it off with the shop and they will probably respect you but in the end, the most important thing is getting it right.
    30 inseam and 19 inches sleeve from armpit to wrist

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by huitzi View Post
    I'd still go with the medium, especially if it now comes with a shorter stem. You seem to be almost the same size & proportions as my son and he rides a medium. The trend over the last few years has been wider bars with shorter stems.

With your saddle back all the way on your stumpy, I can imagine that the reach was too much. Sore wrists are often caused by having the brake levers and shifters too horizontal, which causes the wrists to bend too much. An upright position on the small Trance sounds too me like it's too small.

mtbr member
    5'6", 150ibs ish, 29.5" cycling inseam, dress shirt is a 15-32/33. I was in the same boat, only with an 2017 Anthem SX. After riding both(sm&med) on my local trail system, I woumd.up going with the small ( I do have a bmx background and always rode bikes on the smaller side). I did however demo a 2018 Trance Advanced 2, size medium last November. I could of definitely gotten by on it, but it did feel long (reach) and the seat tube was a bit tall. I think the fact that you are used to riding a larger bike has something to do with hesitation to go with the small. You can always add a longer stem, or wider bar to increase reach if need be (can't easily change SO or WB). That said, you are the one riding the bike and need to be comfortable on it, not me. Hope it all works out you and best of luck.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by huitzi View Post

my stumpjumper has a 60mm stem and 710mm+/- bars. saddle is pushed back all the way but never payed attention to it before.

30 inseam and 19 inches sleeve from armpit to wrist
    I'm a 32" inseam and closer to 20" for that arm length as you measure but by the standards of sleeve length, 33-34.

I don't see how you'll go wrong with most medium frame bikes. They are all pretty similar and your leg/pedal dimension will be easily within the range of adjustments without going to any extremes. Reach and seat height/angle will help you tune the back or lower back issues so the stem and bar set up is what you want to get right and should have many options. A small could mean your bike range of adjusting may put you at some extremes for seat rail, stem or even seatpost. If so, that's best to be avoided and limits what you do with adjustment range if not a good indicator of wrong size.
    Keep in mind any bike can be dialed in to feel better or wrong and uncomfortable so **make sure you compare apples to apples.

** When you rode a small with a short stem and medium with a long stem (if I read that right) the set up was the shortest reach on the small and longer on the meduim so that really was least ideal if you were comparing.
    My bike is a case in point where just a fraction of an inch can be different from medium to large and a stem change between the two could make the two feel very similar.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'