New Hardtail Options- $1500ish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

New Hardtail Options- $1500ish

I need to confuse myself some more- so here it goes...

Looking to get back into riding- a lot. I do race bmx, have a 6 and 3 year old that both race as well. I have a 25 year old bike thatís seen better days, and looking to upgrade.

Iíd like to say that my riding will be 50/50 singletrack and rail trails, but over the lifespan of the bike (as the kids get older and can handle it).

In other words- Iím not planning a trip to whistler or moab, but those up here in New England know the typical trails and therefore my mindset was getting something more than a gravel/adventure bike even though realistically I could ďget awayĒ with it. Iím a fan of buy once and cry once, but also try to be realistic and logical. Budget will be $1000-$1600. Iím OK going higher if itís blatantly worth it. Long of the short, I know thereís a $800 option thatíll work. I like to think that Iíll be annoyed with that purchase at some point (meaning Iím riding more and harder).

Iím set on buying from a LBS- which fortunately I have a few good options (shop wise)

Specialized
    Cannondale
    Marin (though only through order)
    Santa Cruz
    Giant

This will be a bike Iíll keep so stretching the budget is OK- but needs to be heads and tails worth it in my eyes. Iíve read countless posts and threads- and know I really need to go test ride. What I do struggle with a bit is components and weighing how much I should be factoring that into my decision for how Iíll be using the bike. (Yes, I get they can make a difference, but will it be a factor for me ...?).

I suppose Iím looking for a bit of advice as much as a suggestion all the same, so thank you for your time and assistance in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    Diamondback Sync'r should be added to your list: https://www.diamondback.com/syncr-d42
    Trek …monda SL6 | Intense Recluse

Co Springs
    That's really a good price point IMO, I think you'll do very well.

I've got a Pine Mountain One that fit the bill for my likes and what I expect of it. It's steel and plus tires but I love everything about it.

Now, I'm very tempted to test ride a 25# cf bike just to see how it feels. My steely is 30.5 and I'll keep it anyways.
    A carbon fiber Diamondback that can be had for $1500 or so - I'm interested in the bike and components netting something around 24.5 lbs and I've never ridden a light bike before. Knowing me though, I'll toy around with the idea and if I do something, it'll be a year or two out.
    Good luck on your shopping. Marin has a few hits and some good strides on prices for some models and they have plenty of reviews to add to your database.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This will be perfect for and kid friendly trails. https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondbac...-Carbon-Pro-29.

mtbr member
    I was taking a look at a few new bikes and that Giant Fathom looks pretty impressive for the price.
    Can't say I still race bmx but still have an Intense cruiser for when I hit the pump track.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I was taking a look at a few new bikes and that Giant Fathom looks pretty impressive for the price.
    Can't say I still race bmx but still have an Intense cruiser for when I hit the pump track.
    That's the bike I point most new riders to. Plenty of bike to last you five to ten years but not so much bike you regret the purchase if you aren't riding it every day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks all. I was traveling and found a shop that had several in stock to test ride- which was really around the parking lot, however I made the most of it with a loading dock, grass area with some leftover lumber, and a few raised planting beds.

Rode the Trek Marlin 6, specialized Fuse comp 6fattie and pitch, and the timberjack slx.

Amazing how far bikes have come in 25 years- haha. I know those are a bit all over the place, but it did give me a good feel. Didnít like the timberjack- donít know why, just not as comfortable on it. The Marlin and pitch were fine- but I was laughing with the fuse... the ease of taking in the minimal obstacles I was finding around. Though a spec such as the marlin would be fine- Iím leaning towards a more aggressive build as I could easily see pushing myself while riding owning that fuse. Only reservation was the gravel/pavement riding I know Iíll be doing with the kiddos... though I suppose I could qualify that with chalking it up to more of a workout and eventually getting another set of wheels/tires to swap.

Thinking I may have to go talk with the Marin dealer and see the logistics if I order one but donít end up taking it. I was eyeing the fathom as well, will have to try to find one around somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had plans on buying a Syncír but they still arenít in stock. DB customer service told me they were going to get more in on 8/2. Not sure if that happened but I ended up buying a used FS.