New bike for shorter rider: Ibis Mojo 3 vs Pivot Mach 4 vs Yeti SB5 Beti- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

New question here. New bike for shorter rider: Ibis Mojo 3 vs Pivot Mach 4 vs Yeti SB5 Beti

Looking for a full suspension bike for a female friend. We tried out a few women specific models in shops but standover height was always an issue.

Juliana Furtado in XS was a bit too big (690mm standover in size XS). Specialized also doesn't seem to have smaller bikes anymore. Their Woman's SJ doesn't come in ST version unfortunately so it's actually bigger than the Men's SJ ST. Surprisingly the Men's SJ ST version seemed smaller compared to the Santa Cruz even though their site says 731mm standover. Perhaps how standover is measured varies by brands.

I've found a few that have smaller standover heights and I'm looking to get some feedback or other suggestions.
    - Ibis Mojo 3 size small (676mm standover in size small)
    - Pivot Mach 4 (678mm in size SX)
    - Yeti SB5 Beti (668mm in SX)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Liv bikes? The Pique SX 2 in extra small has a stand over height of 663mm.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Have you looked at Liv bikes? The Pique SX 2 in extra small has a stand over height of 663mm.
    Thanks, forgot about that one.

mtbr member
    Bikes are sort of limited in stand-over by the location of the upper suspension pivot and shock mount. A XS bike with a horizontal shock going to the top tube (like SJ, Ibis, SC) just can't get much lower between sizes, even though it can certainly get shorter reach and stack. The Yeti and Pivot are a lot lower thanks to the former having an overall lower system and the latter having a shock that goes to the down tube, but still if you look at the stand-over across sizes it doesn't get much bigger. A bike with a vertical shock like the Liv can have a curved top tube that lowers stand-over. The Liv really wins because the bottom of the shock is down in the downtube. Treks have similar shock arrangement but they have the bottom of the shock held higher on the seat tube so they can't get as far down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Norco XS has some good geometries. They shorten the chainstays with the smaller bikes which few companies do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    ...so following the thread - did you ever decide on a bike?
    I am 4ft 11, 100 lbs and have been on a mach 4 for a few years, but 26" and it has worked for me -
    I am also i the market for a new bike with more travel and from what I've seen/read, the beti & pivot. I demoed a Liv 2 years ago and didn't love it.
    recently I was talking to a Pivot rep and he recommended the switchblade - I was asking about the 5.5, and he said although I could adjust the dampers he advised against it - he said on both bikes, they recommend a rider not be led than 55 kg.... not sure what you weigh....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can't say enough good things about my Knolly Endorphin, size small (677mm stand over)! It's a lesser known small brand, but they are super capable and awesome !There are a couple of small's on pinkbike at the moment for sale, here's a link to one of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2358104/

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    @whac, she narrowed it down to the Mach 4 XS and the sb5 Beti in XS. Pivot might be announcing a new Mach 4 in a few days. The mojo 3 in size small was also a consideration but it was a smidge too big, otherwise that probably would be my go to. Unfortunately, she never was able to demo the Liv bikes though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincyclist View Post
    @whac, she narrowed it down to the Mach 4 XS and the sb5 Beti in XS. Pivot might be announcing a new Mach 4 in a few days. The mojo 3 in size small was also a consideration but it was a smidge too big, otherwise that probably would be my go to. Unfortunately, she never was able to demo the Liv bikes though.
    thanks, hope she loves what ever she goes with... keep us posted...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My girlfriend is 4'9" maybe 4'10". She demoed a lot of bikes during the Sedona Bike Festival this last spring and she concluded, as I had mentioned to her, that standover was really the least she should look at or be worried about. The rest of the geometry and how the bike rides and feels is more important.
    At her size her favorite bikes where a Small Mojo 3, XS Transition Scout, XS Small Beti SB5 LR and XS or Small Salsa Rustler.
    If she could get any bike she would probably get a Mojo 3 or even HD4. The Ibis bikes are so light, pedal so well and the suspension is spot on for her small stature. The only issue she might have with the Mojo 3 or HD4 would be reach, but that can be solved running short stem and high rise bars.
    Ultimate she realized as she rode and rode that if she is bound to fall it would be off the side of the bike or straight up and over it. And if she needs to bail off of the bike she would do it in the same manner.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Since you looked at the Furtado and thought it was a bit to tall in the standover, check out the XS Roubion and Strega. Because of their different suspension design compared to the Furtado they have a lower standover.

jrm
    mtbr member
    you really need to focus on reach and stack measurements for a good fit. focusing only on standover means the bike will be to small.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lucythefin View Post
    My girlfriend is 4'9" maybe 4'10". She demoed a lot of bikes during the Sedona Bike Festival this last spring and she concluded, as I had mentioned to her, that standover was really the least she should look at or be worried about. The rest of the geometry and how the bike rides and feels is more important.
    At her size her favorite bikes where a Small Mojo 3, XS Transition Scout, XS Small Beti SB5 LR and XS or Small Salsa Rustler.
    If she could get any bike she would probably get a Mojo 3 or even HD4. The Ibis bikes are so light, pedal so well and the suspension is spot on for her small stature. The only issue she might have with the Mojo 3 or HD4 would be reach, but that can be solved running short stem and high rise bars.
    Ultimate she realized as she rode and rode that if she is bound to fall it would be off the side of the bike or straight up and over it. And if she needs to bail off of the bike she would do it in the same manner.
    wow! lucky to be able to demo so many bikes... I am lucky if I can find one ...anyways, I do agree with you about stand over not being the only consideration. reach, angles, wheel base etc... all factor in. But I will add, that bail out factor is real especially when climbing steep rocky/rooty terrain or next to a drop off you don't wanna drop off of... ouch! I'll be heading back to the sates part of the summer, any other bike fests you are aware of which may offer such a variety of demos?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by whac View Post
    wow! lucky to be able to demo so many bikes... I am lucky if I can find one ...anyways, I do agree with you about stand over not being the only consideration. reach, angles, wheel base etc... all factor in. But I will add, that bail out factor is real especially when climbing steep rocky/rooty terrain or next to a drop off you don't wanna drop off of... ouch! I'll be heading back to the sates part of the summer, any other bike fests you are aware of which may offer such a variety of demos?
    There is an Outerbike event in June in Idaho I believe and one in August somewhere on the East Coast. There are plenty of other smaller festivals around the country in June. Not a whole lot in July. There is a womens only bike festival in Sedona in the fall. Roam Bike Fest, November 8-10.
    https://www.roambikefest.com/
    If you check most major bike manufacturers websites under demo events, they will list all the major ones they attend.
    As far as you not fitting certain bikes because of your weight, thats an easy fix as well. The only differences between male and female bike brands or models are the touch points, such as saddle, grips etc. And Suspension tuning, most are tuned for heavier riders that ride fairly hard. Womens models shocks and forks are a lighter tune from the factory. My girlfriend demoed the Mach 5.5 and initially she did not like it as much as the Mojo 3, but thats cause the suspension was set up per Fox/Pivot guidelines. I dropped a few PSI out of the shock to let it sag a bit more and a few PSI out of the fork as well to let it be more sensitive and compliant and all of a sudden she was enjoying it much more and getting along with it better. Now it did a wallow a bit more when putting down power to sprint and climb on, but that was just temporary inconvenience. Most suspension shops can tune shocks and forks specifically for you for a reaonable price, or you can ask the manufacturer to include a specific tune sometimes. The Liv Intrigue and Giant Trance are other bikes you should take a look at if you can. Same bike and geometries once again just different suspension tunes and touchpoints. Lower standover on the XS and Small.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Pivot mach 4 is and excellent choice but act fast because they are not making them anymore.