New bike question: 5010 vs SJ ST vs Neuron- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

New question here. New bike question: 5010 vs SJ ST vs Neuron

Looking to get back into mountain biking and narrowing down the list of bikes I want to demo.

Mainly looking for a trail bike that's fun to ride and climbs reasonably well. I'd like to stick to 27.5 wheels, dual suspension and carbon frame. My budget is around $5k but it's not a hard limit. I'm in the San Francisco area so would mostly ride around there as well as trips to Sierras and hopefully occasional road trips to utah. I don't intend to race or set downhill records on strava.

Seems like a 130mm travel bike could be a pretty good fit. From what I gather, they're a bit more playful compared to longer travel bikes.

Some bikes I've found that might suit me:
    - Santa Cruz 5010 R /Carbon
    - Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon
    - Canyon Neuron CF 8 (yeah... best bang for your buck from the component standpoint but constantly out of stock so I might not even be able to buy one, also can't demo.)

Would love some thoughts on these bikes. I've read that VPP seems to climb a bit better.

Thanks

Hi There!
    What a coincidence. Demo'd the 5010 and the ST via my stellar LBS, both were set up for me and I rode them both on two of my local trails.
    I went with the 5010 because it just felt better...for me...right from the get-go.
    When I told LBS fellas about my decision they were all surprised because other people that also demo'd both chose the ST.
    Moral of the story: demo both, on trails, set up for your size.
    Let us know...seems you can't go wrong with the ST or 5010.
    It's nice to have the choice I can tell you that.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I currently have the 5010 V3 R carbon. I love it and it is exactly what it was designed for. A really fun mountain bike. I have had quit a few bikes and some you like and some you don't, for whatever reasons. I can't say anything negative about the 5010. I just have a blast riding it, and 130mm of travel to me, is the do all sweet spot. Before the 5010, I had the SJ st comp carbon. That is also a really nice bike. Both bikes can do it all. The SJ was Shimano XT and Fox, and the 5010 is SRAM Eagle and Fox. pick your poison.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My wife and I both ride version 2 5010s Carbon. Happy with just the right mix of climbing ability and medium travel to bomb down the trail. Like all bikes though, look closely at hubs/wheels when you are considering which build. Had to upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincyclist View Post
    Looking to get back into mountain biking and narrowing down the list of bikes I want to demo.

Mainly looking for a trail bike that's fun to ride and climbs reasonably well. I'd like to stick to 27.5 wheels, dual suspension and carbon frame. My budget is around $5k but it's not a hard limit. I'm in the San Francisco area so would mostly ride around there as well as trips to Sierras and hopefully occasional road trips to utah. I don't intend to race or set downhill records on strava.

Seems like a 130mm travel bike could be a pretty good fit. From what I gather, they're a bit more playful compared to longer travel bikes.

Some bikes I've found that might suit me:
    - Santa Cruz 5010 R /Carbon
    - Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon
    - Canyon Neuron CF 8 (yeah... best bang for your buck from the component standpoint but constantly out of stock so I might not even be able to buy one, also can't demo.)

Would love some thoughts on these bikes. I've read that VPP seems to climb a bit better.

Thanks
    Since you are in the Northern California area check out Ibis Bikes and Whyte Bikes.
    You can demo bikes from their offices there.

Ibis - Pretty much every bike meets your requirements, even if they are 29" wheeled. Mojo 3 is probably your best bet in that short travel, 27.5" category. A fun little ripper that is very fast and nimble. Get a decent build on the Mojo 3 for your 5 grand.

Whyte Bikes - The T-130 is a great short travel 27.5" bike. A much different feeling bike than the Mojo 3. Slacker, longer but still very poppy and playful and very capable climbing bike. Just does it in a very different manner than the Mojo 3. You can get a top of the line carbon T-130 for around 5 grand.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I second lucythefin's recommendation on the Ibis Mojo 3.
    Great bike and an Awesome company.

Having a nice day!
    A couple of others to consider in the same genre. I have an Intense Spider and I have really enjoyed it. It is very similar to a 5010 with some that have tried them both saying they thought the Spider was a maybe a little more playful. I haven't ridden a 5010 so I can't comment other than to say you can't go wrong with SC. Another one that seems to get good reviews is the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. I kind of like it as you just don't see so many of those around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks. Added Mojo 3 and the Thunderbolt to the list.

mtbr member
    I have a V3 5010C R build and love it. That would be my choice.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    I have a Mojo 2009. First generation I think. It climbs like the new bikes and can handle what the new bikes can.
    Sure it is outdated, old-fashioned and only 26" but they still sell the frames and for 5K you could get a set up that would make it a dream bike.
    Know I am stupid, but am not going for a new bike with bigger wheels just because factories need to sell more. The old things that last forever are bad for business.
    Difference in wheel size between 26 and 27˝ is close to non-existing. I tried a couple of new “dream-bikes” (Cannondale, Specialized and Stevens) but found them no better than the old Mojo.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Transition Scout

mtbr member
    I rode my cousins 5010 in the East Bay area last year and it certainly was plenty of bike for the conditions in the area. I bought a 5010 myself after demo'ing various SC offerings, Treks, Giants and Pivots. I rode by 27.5 and 29.

In the end, for the kind of rocky riding I do in the east, and the narrow trails we have, the 5010 was the most fun.

When I am asked to make a recommendation to others, I just tell them to try all they can and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Have you visited the Santa Cruz HQ in Santa Cruz? You can demo anything they make for a modest cost. I took a Hightower out for a day of riding in hills around Santa Cruz the last time I was in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the input Rev.

I sort of narrowed it down to the Mojo 3 and the 5010 now. I've been able to demo both of them, though not back-to-back on the same day. I plan on taking the 5010 out again and then decide. From what I can remember they felt pretty similar, though I didn't demo them on the same trail.

I am curious which frame weighs less, in case anyone knows.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input Rev.

I sort of narrowed it down to the Mojo 3 and the 5010 now. I've been able to demo both of them, though not back-to-back on the same day. I plan on taking the 5010 out again and then decide. From what I can remember they felt pretty similar, though I didn't demo them on the same trail.

I am curious which frame weighs less, in case anyone knows.
    The one you feel confident on.
    The one that make you feel real good.
    The one you like the look of (it is no sin to look good).
    Weight is only important if you feel it is important to be fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    The one you feel confident on.
    The one that make you feel real good.
    The one you like the look of (it is no sin to look good).
    Weight is only important if you feel it is important to be fast.
    Sure, but when the bikes are very similar I like to look closely at specs. It’s difficult to demo and compare bikes anyway. Different tires, shocks, groupsets etc. Not sure why this info is not more readily available.
    Last edited by mountaincyclist; 05-05-2019 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    If you want the bike to have all the components according to your wishes you may end up having to buy frame, shock, fork, groupset, tires, wheels, handlebar, stem, saddle and everything else separate and that might get rather expensive
    No bike bought assembled will have all components exactly after peronal wishes as far as I know.
    That is OK as sooner or later you need new tires, new everything and then you buy what is best for you.
    My old bike (2009) has only frame and crankset left (Shimano XT). All other components were replaced when needed. Not all break at the same time.

New bike question: 5010 vs SJ ST vs Neuron-drawing-web.jpg
    Last edited by 6D ATB-1T EVO; 05-10-2019 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Sure, but when the bikes are very similar I like to look closely at specs. It’s difficult to demo and compare bikes anyway. Different tires, shocks, groupsets etc. Not sure why this info is not more readily available.
    Id say the Ibis Mojo 3 is going to be lighter. Frame listed on Ibis website with shock attached is 5.5lbs. Thats about as light as you can get for a capable trail bike. Full suspension XC frames are right around the 4.5lb mark.