New Bike: 2017 Giant Stance 1 or 2017 Specialized Camber or??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

New Bike: 2017 Giant Stance 1 or 2017 Specialized Camber or??

First Post,
    Looking to go full suspension soon and these bikes stood out to me right off hand, haven't seen many reviews on either. What are your thoughts around the 2k price point?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pretty much the same as any of these threads. Fit is most important, then you need to ride them.

Some people love the way Specialized rides, some hate it.
    Some people love the way Giant rides, some hate it.

You can keep going with every brand in the industry. No one on this forum is going to be able to tell you which is best for you.

Quick glance, the specs on the Giant seem a little better: 34 Fox fork over the 32 Sector; Shimano brakes over Tektro and a dropper. But none of that matters if you find that you prefer the way the camber fits/rides better than the Giant.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by N8Dawg34 View Post
    First Post,
    Looking to go full suspension soon and these bikes stood out to me right off hand, haven't seen many reviews on either. What are your thoughts around the 2k price point?
    Thanks!
    Hi.

First post also.

I have just bought the Spesh Camber Comp Carbon 650b.

I was deciding between this and the 2017 Whyte T-130RS.

In the UK the Whyte is sold out until December time. My LBS basically told me that although the Whyte is slightly better specced, the frame on the Spesh is better. I've had both Whyte and Spesh in the past, so am kinda familiar with both.

In the end I rode the Spesh and it felt good. I like the SWAT feature, as although it's only a minor thing, I found myself carrying a Camelbak just to hold my phone and keys, so personally I'll make good use of it.

I went 650b this time. I'm only just getting back into mountain biking after a long break, and surgery, and the 650b felt better for me. My old Whyte 29'er felt like it was too much bike (probably due to the fact I'm not currently an experienced rider). Hoping to get back into it properly this time.

I upgraded a get bits; Renthal bars, a few Hope bits. I'll do more serious upgrades as and when bits start going wrong.

I hope I've made the right decision - couldn't find any reviews yet, as the bike is too new.

BTW - Fork is Revalation 130mm and brakes are Shimano. Rear shock is Fox.

I got a smallish discount, so don't be afraid to ask your LBS for one. They should knock a bit off.

Hope that helps. Would be interesting to know how you get on if you end up buying the Spesh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Niots View Post
    Hi.

BTW - Fork is Revalation 130mm and brakes are Shimano. Rear shock is Fox.
    You have a different spec in the UK vs. the US, so no it doesn't come with the Revelation and Shimano brakes.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You have a different spec in the UK vs. the US, so no it doesn't come with the Revelation and Shimano brakes.
    Ah okay, I didn't know that.

Out of curiosity, do you know why they do that? And is that common with all brands?

mtbr member
    I'd agree with TwoTone, however SpesialEDs insitancy to spec 32mm stanchion forks on these bikes makes me look someplace else even more than my normal hatred of them would push me. It is really stupid when 34mmm stanchion options with less than a 1/4lb weight gain are available that manufacturers spec 32mm stanchion forks IMHO. Besides that, I'm in the "don't like how they ride" group when it comes to Speshial, have to dial up compression on the shocks to get them to not bob and wallow, which isn't so bad for a full Trail oriented bike, where downs are the priority, but for a bike that's going to be used to do lots of pedaling on rolling, flats and climbing, not great.

Also, a dropper on a bike vs one without, is an easy deal maker for me, unless for some reason the fit is way off for you. Remember when you go to demo them, if the fit doesn't feel right (too long or short) ask to try the next size up or down and/or ask them to swap in a shorter or longer stem and make sure the saddle is adjusted to your liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I just went FS last summer, had the same two bikes on my list. After riding the Stance fit me better and felt much better to me. After a year, still love it. Go test ride them both, they are both good bikes.

mtbr member
    I have a 2016 Camber Comp Carbon. I dont think you can wrong with either brand. Go with what feels better when you are on them . period. Dont worry about component specs so much. You can keep what you like and change what you dont. Today, even the lower tier components are really good. My Carbon Comp came with Deore brakes, and they are every bit as good as the slx and xt 's i have had. From my experiance with 2 Cambers, they are really good bikes. I would say pretty fast and efficient for all round trail duty. i ussually find bike online and magazine reviews pretty much worthless, so hopefully more will chime in with experiance. both are solid bikes though. ive ridden both Trance and Camber in both Alum and carbon. Both are really good bikes at any of their spec models. maybe i didnt need to say so much?

mtbr member
    ...and maybe i should read better. I now see you said Stance, and not Trance. never ridden a Stance. sorry.

mtbr member
    Stance and Chamber is a kinda ill-assorted couple, I'd rather compare Chamber with the 2017 Anthem SX as the Stance is an entry level budget bike meant for beginners.

I own a Trance but actually rode a Anthem SX a few days ago and it is a fun agile bike that is perfect for trail riding:

New Bike: 2017 Giant Stance 1 or 2017 Specialized Camber or??-20160923_134552.jpg

mtbr member
    Stance is NOT a beginner bike, it is very similar to the Trance, 120mm instead of 140mm, and has three point rear pivot instead of four point maestro rear. It is a mid quality, ability bike with a better price point. The entry level Stance at $1300 is every bit as capable as most brands $2000+ FS bikes. I have a riding buddy that has an $8000 Specialized Stumpjumper, and a $3000 Trance. He was very surprised how close my Stance was to his Trance for so much less.

mtbr member
    Stance is not even close to the Trance apart from both having two wheels. Real world difference between maestro and a single pivot setup is more than just 1 link

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey S C, I think a lot of guys would agree w/ you, but many won't. The Maestro link is loved, also not appreciated by all. Some guys like alum. and single pivot. As for component spec I'm sure you would know. Isn't the more expensive Stance 1 set up with great stuff?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Stance is not even close to the Trance apart from both having two wheels. Real world difference between maestro and a single pivot setup is more than just 1 link
    So you have ridden both and can say this from first hand experience?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    So you have ridden both and can say this from first hand experience?
    in fact I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Hey S C, I think a lot of guys would agree w/ you, but many won't. The Maestro link is loved, also not appreciated by all. Some guys like alum. and single pivot. As for component spec I'm sure you would know. Isn't the more expensive Stance 1 set up with great stuff?
    There are good single pivot bikes out there but especially on the Stance frame main pivot placement is considered being too low, thus prioritising low pedal kickback on a 24T chaining over sufficient anti squat. It's absurd to offer a 1x11 build with this frame given that it's clearly not optimized for it. Other than that no real complaints, it's a nice bike that won't let you down but many people will still be better off with a slightly more expensive Trance (Maestro, cable routing, geometry)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thank you all for your comments, I ended up purchasing a 2017 Stance 1 Saturday and after putting close to 15 miles on it today I have to say I am quite pleased!

I tinkered a bit with the suspension but as a general rule of thumb is there a formula to get ideal psi in the forks and shock?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    in fact I can.
    That is cool, I have been riding a long time, but at my age I don't really push that hard anymore, and I have never done downhill. Perhaps I don't ride hard enough for the difference to be noticed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you all for your comments, I ended up purchasing a 2017 Stance 1 Saturday and after putting close to 15 miles on it today I have to say I am quite pleased!

I tinkered a bit with the suspension but as a general rule of thumb is there a formula to get ideal psi in the forks and shock?

Thanks again!
    Find the suggested sag for the fork and shock.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member

Thanks again!
    I personally run 20% sag in the front, and 30% sag rear, that is how I like it. Recommended is 20% both ends. I think to achieve 20% sag, pressure should be about 80% your weight for the shock and about 60% your weight for the fork. But after you get the pressure set, fine adjust by sag and your personal preference.

Because of the steep fork angle on the stance, which gives it nice quick handling, if you get too soft on the fork it can make it dive going over obstacles. I like the suspension plush, but that is why I run the fork stiffer than the rear.