Thread: New Bike

mtbr member

New Bike

Best I can afford currently; with short notice and mere weeks before my race event. Happy with it so far; but will upgrade to either my Sponsors bike or a Bronson depending on how the season goes this year.

New Bike-32185490_125665634963928_893140042636066816_n.jpg

mtbr member
    What did you get? Hard to tell in the photo. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Its a Giant Talon 3. Definitely way better than the now retired HPR S Shocker. Though still have to get used to the lack of a kickstand and the new experience of riding a hardtail. Ive raced Next and GT BMX bikes years ago in the ABA; but ABA BMX isnt comparable to the races I do now.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Congrats on the new bike.

mtbr member
    have fun with the new bike.

mtbr member
    So, I have to ask, does it have the gearing to hit 45 MPH?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Why would I give my gear ratios out? No racer or racing team gives out their setup. why dont you come to my June race event and find out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    why would i give my gear ratios out? No racer or racing team gives out their setup. Why dont you come to my june race event and find out?
    hard core!

mtbr member
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    What event are you racing?

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! Hope to run into you at Rocky Knob when you are healed up. Hey guys let's cut the sarcasm down. Let's use this as an opportunity for lessons in patience, humility, empathy, and understanding. Dragracer88 is just another guy with some struggles trying to ride his bike.

mtbr member
    Since you won't answer my first question. What kind of race are you entering? Who is your sponsor?

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! Hope this season goes well for you.

mtbr member
    Why would I give my gear ratios out? No racer or racing team gives out their setup. why dont you come to my June race event and find out?
    When you said no kickstand, it kind of gave away your race secret!

mtbr member
    A kickstand is a nonessential. Very few racers keep it or even have a bike with it. And no, it doesn't give anyway anything.

Kick Start My Heart
    I heard a lot of guys run a kickstand for that 'sleeper' look, kind of like a dressed down station wagon drag car with a built 455 in it.
    Doesn't look like much, but definitely has the race mojo.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Last edited by Sparkman999; 05-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Snow Dog
    uh...I can get those gear ratios off of the Giant web site, so you might want to have your sponsor contact Giant and have them get those off of the page...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Hey, enough. Give the guy a break.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Nice whip man, Giant makes some good bikes.

mtbr member
    Hey while some of you guys have wasted your time being complete jerks, the rest of us have rallied together to help dragracer88 out with some safe, dependable riding gear until his sponsorship gear arrives. Huge thanks to my friends at Cane Creek, Beech Mountain, Motion Makers, and all the great generous people that have contributed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Hey while some of you guys have wasted your time being complete jerks, the rest of us have rallied together to help dragracer88 out with some safe, dependable riding gear until his sponsorship gear arrives. Huge thanks to my friends at Cane Creek, Beech Mountain, Motion Makers, and all the great generous people that have contributed!
    Thanks for doing that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Thanks for doing that!
    Absolutely. The bike industry has given me everything rad in my life (except my wife, she's just rad on her own). My career, my fitness and health, countless amazing friends...the list goes on and on. Happy to give back, only wish I could do more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thatís awesome, sugar brad. Good folks are out here, doing stuff like this.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    uh...I can get those gear ratios off of the Giant web site, so you might want to have your sponsor contact Giant and have them get those off of the page...
    heh heh heh heh...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Glad we could get you on something that is more reliable! It's been a pleasure to help you get into the sport, thanks for being a customer. Good luck with all your races Brendan!

P.S. Some of y'all need to check yourselves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magiccycles View Post
    Glad we could get you on something that is more reliable! It's been a pleasure to help you get into the sport, thanks for being a customer. Good luck with all your races Brendan!

P.S. Some of y'all need to check yourselves.
    Thanks for getting Brendan on a sweet ride! Excited for him for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks Hunter. See? A pro mtb racer that knows me and gives me the recognition as a pro am MTB racer . Unlike most of you others that just show jealousy. I still do remember the confession someone posted that "most of us are recreational riders. "

mtbr member
    You remind me of Rex Kwon Do.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Thanks Hunter. See? A pro mtb racer that knows me and gives me the recognition as a pro am MTB racer . Unlike most of you others that just show jealousy. I still do remember the confession someone posted that "most of us are recreational riders. "

Might I ask what exactly is a "pro am racer"? TIA.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey DR88! Congrats on the new ride!

Now get out there and ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    You remind me of Rex Kwon Do.
    Wow, thanks for that. It was truly profound. If you are trying to be sarcastic or condescending it's already been covered ad nauseam. If you have something constructive it would be greatly appreciated. We will wait.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Wow, thanks for that. It was truly profound. If you are trying to be sarcastic or condescending it's already been covered ad nauseam. If you have something constructive it would be greatly appreciated. We will wait.
    a lot of us are waiting for some proof of his riding prowess...especially because way back in the beginning stages of his posting, it was full of subtle bravado and braggery, and also full of passive/agressive insults about anyone who disagreed with his ideas being "jealous" or "not pro riders"...and then posts about suing every body who disagreed with him for slander...again, a very immature and childish reaction...sounds like my middle schoolers arguing on the play ground.

What he failed to realize is that, on this board, 95% OF US ARE NOT PRO RIDERS, AND WILL NEVER BE, NOR DO WE DESIRE TO BE. We are happy to see people improve, and there are many pros of all types here WHO NEVER EVER BRAG ABOUT THEIR BEING PRO. Pro riders, pro builders, pro shop owners...guys that pioneered the activity....none of them ever come on as DR88 did, and does....NONE. The ultimate sign of a pro is HUMILITY!!!!

That is the difference. DR88 threw the first punches, and as most internet entities, could not handle it when people did not see his way. And then there was no concrete proof of his abilities...

I agree that many here have been rough...possibly even me, but I feel like my reactions have mostly been neutral, or at least just in astonished disbelief.

I still...after posting this at least 10 times in various threads, think that idf there was just some resolute proof...NOT blurry pictures of motocross gloves and undetailed shots of bikes...people would give him a break

Again...I remain neutral in the whole thing because I could really care less about his abilities, and I could care less what he thinks about mine...but I have to be "the ref" and call what I have been seeing, which was instigated by his tone in his very first posts...

...We will wait...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    a lot of us are waiting for some proof of his riding prowess...especially because way back in the beginning stages of his posting, it was full of subtle bravado and braggery, and also full of passive/agressive insults about anyone who disagreed with his ideas being "jealous" or "not pro riders"...and then posts about suing every body who disagreed with him for slander...again, a very immature and childish reaction...sounds like my middle schoolers arguing on the play ground.

What he failed to realize is that, on this board, 95% OF US ARE NOT PRO RIDERS, AND WILL NEVER BE, NOR DO WE DESIRE TO BE. We are happy to see people improve, and there are many pros of all types here WHO NEVER EVER BRAG ABOUT THEIR BEING PRO. Pro riders, pro builders, pro shop owners...guys that pioneered the activity....none of them ever come on as DR88 did, and does....NONE. The ultimate sign of a pro is HUMILITY!!!!

That is the difference. DR88 threw the first punches, and as most internet entities, could not handle it when people did not see his way. And then there was no concrete proof of his abilities...

I agree that many here have been rough...possibly even me, but I feel like my reactions have mostly been neutral, or at least just in astonished disbelief.

I still...after posting this at least 10 times in various threads, think that idf there was just some resolute proof...NOT blurry pictures of motocross gloves and undetailed shots of bikes...people would give him a break

Again...I remain neutral in the whole thing because I could really care less about his abilities, and I could care less what he thinks about mine...but I have to be "the ref" and call what I have been seeing, which was instigated by his tone in his very first posts...

...We will wait...
    You should check your PM's.

mtbr member
    Don't worry about the haters Brendan. Just get out there and do your thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    On the spectrum/special needs is a plausible explanation for the various messy posts and threads.

mtbr member
    Or it could be another mass assumption, like a vast majority of you all. With the exception being, like 6.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    I heard a lot of guys run a kickstand for that 'sleeper' look, kind of like a dressed down station wagon drag car with a built 455 in it.
    Doesn't look like much, but definitely has the race mojo.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Right. I run one, but it's actually cardboard with a light coat of silver paint. It's non-functional, but like the "Huffy" stickers, it lures people in. Out on the trail, I've dropped 6 beginner riders on Wal-mart bikes just this week! And at least 3 were adults!