New 27.5 wife says $1k- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New 27.5 wife says $1k

So I am due for a new bike. I do a lot of rail to trail with some single track mixed in (wife grew up BMXing so that is what she prefers). I am a moderate to novice rider in the single track area as I use cleats and I still get nervous over obstacles.

I currently Have a Mongoose Alta Pro Hard tail that has seen better days. I am look at getting a 27.5 (I would not like a 29er) and based on availability in my area I have been looking at these 3 bikes:

Felt 7 Sixty
    Fuji Tahoe 27.5 1.5
    Scott Scale 770

I plan to use either my Candy's or my Mallet DH pedals so minus that I am uber torn on what to get. I would love some opinions on these 3 bikes. I am open to other bikes but I would have to order them and try them out which I am not super excited about.

Thanks in advanced for your advice.

Word of caution about the links: They list the Felt and the Scott as Titanium frames when they are in fact Aluminum.

******UPDATE 10/15/2014******

I am here to update this post in case anyone cares

I ended up with the Fuji for a number of reasons and for the most part I am extremely happy. The issues I am having I think I would have with any bike in this price range and they are most related to my heavier weight.

The XC 30 Fork comes with e medium spring and I believe I need a extra firm.

The only real issue I have is that under load (up hill) I have a hard time changing into gear 1-1. This caused me to loose a master link in the middle of a large group ride 2 Saturdays ago. I am not sure that there is a way to avoid this but I will leave that in another post.

Long story short I would recommend this for a great hard tail in the 1k range.
    Last edited by acpowell; 10-15-2014 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The scott scale looks the best overall to me and it has a more trail oriented geometry than the other two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    The scott scale looks the best overall to me and it has a more trail oriented geometry than the other two.
    Would you mind elaborating on what about it makes it more trail oriented? Sorry, I only know enough to sound like I know a lot, which I don't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Scott will probably have really nice geo...however if you can stretch it to get the 760 instead you'll end up with a lighter frame and better fork.

It would be very well worth it you plan on doing a lot of riding.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For budgets of 1000 or under I still always recommend Motobecanes from bikesdirect. They currently only sell 650b hardtails out of titanium ($$$) but their 650b full suspension bikes are quite affordable as well. I would however not get too hung up on the 650B trend with that budget and instead focus on trying to get the best components. I currently ride high end DW Link bikes but was very satisfied with the bang for the buck of my last motobecane.

Check out these bikes:
    Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - Motobecane Fantom PRO Hardtail

Shimano DynaSys 3x10 30 Speed, Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Go with the Scale 770 and upgrade the fork thru Suntour's upgrade program.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by acpowell View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on what about it makes it more trail oriented? Sorry, I only know enough to sound like I know a lot, which I don't.
    Slacker head angle mostly. The stem does look a bit long the scott per its reach specs. If you do end up going with the scott then I'd keep an open mind about trying a shorter stem once you get comfortable with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm not sure what size you need, but if a 21" works for you, then you can't beat this deal, IMO:Nashbar Bee's Knees 2x10 650B/27.5" Mountain Bike - Overweight Code H Restricted

A friend has a 15" which I got to put a lot of miles on, and it's a great bike if you can deal with the sizing. The top tube is a bit short for me, and the head tube is giant (I had to use a Syntace Flatforce stem just to get the bars low enough on the 15", and I ride a 17" bike). But, if you like a more upright riding position this is a smokin' deal. Nashar always has 20-22% off coupons if you sign up for their mailing list.

The quality of the bike was a shocker. I built it up and I was amazed for the price. It's made by Asahi in Taiwan. No offense to the Chinese, but the quality of construction--from the packing materials to the frame welds, is far better than similar priced bikes I've seen coming from China. I thought the frame would basically be a parts hanger but it's actually quite a nice frame if the giant head tube isn't a deal breaker. The bike handled very well, even with a longish flat stem, and the parts spec blows away the other bikes you're looking at in that price range.

I'm not sure if they'll be getting more in, as they've had that bike around for a while, but at sub 1K with a 20% of coupon, it's really hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    Go with the Scale 770 and upgrade the fork thru Suntour's upgrade program.
    +1 on this!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    The Scott will probably have really nice geo...however if you can stretch it to get the 760 instead you'll end up with a lighter frame and better fork.

It would be very well worth it you plan on doing a lot of riding.
    The 760 and the Fuji have the same fork and are only .33lbs differnt in weight in favor of the Scott. (actually another site listed it in favor of the Fuji so take that for what it is)

The Fuji is also a lot cheaper at $979 vs 1449 for the Scott.

Someone had mentioned getting the Scott and upgrade the fork through Suntour but I don't know that I want to start doing all that.

I have ridden all but the 770 which I plan to ride tonight but so far I am in favor of the Fuji from the ride alone not to mention the price difference from the 760 to the Fuji.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera911xc View Post
    For budgets of 1000 or under I still always recommend Motobecanes from bikesdirect. They currently only sell 650b hardtails out of titanium ($$$) but their 650b full suspension bikes are quite affordable as well. I would however not get too hung up on the 650B trend with that budget and instead focus on trying to get the best components. I currently ride high end DW Link bikes but was very satisfied with the bang for the buck of my last motobecane.

Check out these bikes:
    Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - Motobecane Fantom PRO Hardtail

Shimano DynaSys 3x10 30 Speed, Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fly Pro
    I had thought about going that route but I don't want to order them to then ship them back if they don't fit or I don't like them. You don't know how tempted I was to do that though. I look at CX bikes there almost every day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Fuji has the best value, but the Scott is likely going to have the nicer geo and cockpit. The Fuji geo is kind of confusing, I think I would actually ride a size larger than I would on the Scott.

The Scott has slightly shorter chainstay, longer top tube with shorter stem (which I much prefer), and slacker head angle.

Ride both and see what you like best.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    I road the Fuji Saturday, we plan to ride the Scott today.
    Last edited by acpowell; 08-04-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What did you think of the Fuji? I am liking that one as I am in the same boat as you. I'm going to try it out, just curious what you thought of it.

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    I had a Scale 960 and thought it was a really good bike. Sold it, wish I hadn't.
    The 760 should be just as good.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fade2black View Post
    What did you think of the Fuji? I am liking that one as I am in the same boat as you. I'm going to try it out, just curious what you thought of it.
    I did like the Fuji though it felt weird. It was also very light compared to what I was used to. The felt, even though the heaviest I am looking at felt way light also. The only complaint I had is that the remote poplock didn't see to work right, but I let the shop know and they were going to fix it (which is important since that is the only bike left in my size and they are saving it for me until Friday)

My wife on the other hand did not like riding the Fuji. She has a 2013 Bonita, and felt that the Fuji felt cheap. We both gather it is because her bike is heavier and the lighter something is the cheaper it can feel. I will let you know what I think of the Scott but I am leaning toward the Fuji. I don't think I want to mess with upgrading a bike with in a year of having it, and the Scott would have me upgrading the fork. Spending over $1000 tax excluded, is not going to be an option so I can't really get the 760.

The whole geometry thing has me wondering if I will like the Scott, as the Fuji did feel off to me which I was attributing to the fact that I have been riding a bike that is heavier and too big for me (it is a large and I need a medium at the largest)

The breaks on the Fuji were good but I was going easy on them since I was in a parking lot testing it. I will post again tonight when I have testing the Scott. I didn't ride the Felt very much but I am thinking I might see if I can ride it again this week. I'll let you know.

So far though Value for the money is leaning toward the Fuji, especially because the price just came down because Fuji has stopped making the 2014 model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acpowell View Post
    So far though Value for the money is leaning toward the Fuji, especially because the price just came down because Fuji has stopped making the 2014 model.
    Good to know

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    I would go with the Scott, I have hand a Scott 960 and it's a great bike. I have put several upgrades over the past year and have well over 1,000 miles on it with no problems.

mtbr member
    I don't want to have to upgrade parts right away though, and if in 3-5 years I am looking to upgrade, then it really won't matter what bike I have then. That being said, there is always the possibility I will ride the Scott and claim that it is the bike for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New 27.5 wife says $1k

"New 27.5 wife says $1k"

That is a very short wife.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If the Fuji felt off then you should not buy it. It doesn't really matter if it is value or not as you'll be lucky to get over it.

But then again what frame size did u test and how tall are u with what inseam?

I own a Scott Scale 970. I test rode 5 different 29ers and the Scale was the one that instantly felt awesome. It stood out among all the others because the Geo and cockpit felt great.

I also bought a Scott Spark 29 team off of ebay without ever riding it because I already knew how Scott likes to setup geometry and it was exactly as I expected it to be.

Both of those bikes feel awesome to ride every single time I get on them. They are a pure joy to ride and I have never regretted acquiring them... Well maybe the Spark because it is a 29er and I would much rather have the 700 series Spark lol but I already had an awesome 29er wheel set and it was a really good score.

That is something I could not say about my first MTB that never felt right to me which I think is because it was a size too small. No matter what I did with the cockpit, I could never get along with it.

This is why want to be sure u end up on a bike that feels great right off the bat, otherwise you may never be happy on it. I never was with my first bike.

If the Scott does end up feeling great then it is totally worth going for it. I would highly advise going with the 960 if u can swing it, or at least upgrade the fork on the 970 at some point in the future.

I have over 2,800 miles on my 970 with an X-Fusion Slide, it is a solid machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Well, I went to REI to test the Scott and they only had a Large and XL and it was raining, so I couldn't test it and of course no on in the area had a medium or small and neither could be ordered. Decided I would look at the 760 and the closest one is over an hour away and they are not sure what size they have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    "New 27.5 wife says $1k"

That is a very short wife.
    HA!
    I'm sure she's actually 27.75, maybe even 28

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How about the Giant Talon 27.5 2? That's right around your price range too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Giant Talon 27.5 2, Has pretty much the same gear as the ones you listed.
    Talon 27.5 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Giant Talon 27.5 1 Has a better fork, and gear than the bikes you listed, and is only a couple $100 more that the Talon 2
    Talon 27.5 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDaVinci View Post
    Giant Talon 27.5 2, Has pretty much the same gear as the ones you listed.
    Talon 27.5 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Giant Talon 27.5 1 Has a better fork, and gear than the bikes you listed, and is only a couple $100 more that the Talon 2
    Talon 27.5 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    If I can find one to test ride, it is worth a look. Minus the fork, and brakes the other stuff seems to be similar to the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well since you mentioned Rails to Trails I'm going to hazard a guess that you are in Pittsburgh, though I guess it might not be the only place with a rail to trail system. Anyhow, if you go here: Store Finder - Giant Bicycles | United States you can look and see if there are any dealers in your area, which I'm pretty sure there are since Giant is the worlds largest bike manufacturer and have dealers all over the place. Btw, they also build the frames for a lot of the other companies too, and are the only one that actually weaves their carbon fiber sheets.

mtbr member
    So an update, I ended up with the Fuji! One thing I didn't realize is that it is a platform fork not a lockout fork. I think it could work better form than a true lockout but I need to research it more. Also the fork has a rebound speed adjuster. Need to research that more too.

1 minus is the fact that my water bottles are too tall to go on the bike. Annoying because I have expensive camelbak bottles. Guess I just need to get shorts ones. (I do have the tall ones)

Other than that, I am happy with my purchase. Did an easy track Friday and plan to do a more difficult one today.

Thanks everyone. I case your wondering why I didn't get the felt or the Scott; the reason was size availability. And the felt was 3lbs heavier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You don't need no lockout, I never locked out my forks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team