mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Need suggestions for making the jump from 26" to 27.5". FS?

I have been riding my 26" Giant Revel 0 hardtail for about 4 years now and I'm ready for a change. I ride MTB trails and some fire break roads. Nothing hard core but I do like some challenges. I have tried a 29er but they just seems too clumsy for me so I'm looking to go to 27.5. I'm 53 years old but in great shape and people tell me I look around 40...maybe they're blowing smoke but I do get those types of comments from a lot of people. Anyway, I think I may also was to go to a FS bike to cushion the ride a little but I do like the quickness of my hardtail. Budget can be from $800-$2,000. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jake01; 09-02-2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member
    Where do you ride?
    What do you consider "some challenges"?
    Do you think you need rear suspension for terrain?
    I think that bike came with 2.1" tires. Are you still on that size?
    You could always go bigger, tubeless, lower pressure on tires.
    Have you considered 27.5+?

Have you ridden a 29er hard tail or just full suspension?
    Best bang for the buck is generally a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You are going to be so happy when you get the new bike and feel the difference on those same trails. New bikes are a thrill unto themselves and it is the right time to find discounted 2016, but... Buying used gets you more. A 2016 $2k Giant Anthem 3 is sweet and you'll be happy. The same money could get you a used Anthem 1 that will out turn, accelerate, and out stop a new 3. Still, new is sweet. You just need to shop around and see what you find.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Don't forget conversions. I took my 26" bike and put a 27.5 fork and front tire on. Absolutely love it and it rides better then ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksdazxvy

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I really like that bag /\

Post a link please!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Will a FS bike make a big difference in the handling compared to a hardtail? I guess I think of it as a more squishy ride...is that true? I don't want to lost the nimbleness of my 26".

mtbr member
    If you're a purist I understand, but once you ride a squishy bike there's no going back. I love my squishy and ride it in full squish mode up and down..and you can always lock 'er down if you want it hard again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake01 View Post
    Will a FS bike make a big difference in the handling compared to a hardtail? I guess I think of it as a more squishy ride...is that true? I don't want to lost the nimbleness of my 26".
    No
    No
    You won't

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I spent a few minutes on a Cannondale RZ120, I am sure it would have been a hoot to fly downhills with it, I dunno if I will ever own another FS bike again unless its a dedicated hill bomber. Lots of choices to ride nowdays, and they are all fun in their own ways.

The size Large definitely did not fit my 6ft 240lb frame very well at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fs bikes nowadays are sooo good and pretty damn efficient. You'll appreciate how well the rear end tracks.. Demo some different types of rear suspension designs- some are more plush, some have a firmer support. You can dial that bad boy in to your liking, but yea..each design is different. But like I said, they really are all good these days. Take some out .. And I concur with the other comment..you'll never go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Fs bikes nowadays are sooo good and pretty damn efficient. You'll appreciate how well the rear end tracks.. Demo some different types of rear suspension designs- some are more plush, some have a firmer support. You can dial that bad boy in to your liking, but yea..each design is different. But like I said, they really are all good these days. Take some out .. And I concur with the other comment..you'll never go back.
    THIS ^^^ I'm 51 and admittedly and more "hardcore/committed/crazy" than you but have a hardtail and (2) 27.5 FS bikes and there is NO COMPARISON. The FS bikes are more comfortable and more forgiving. The hardtail now is my de-facto road bike. Demo some bikes, find out what you like and then like somebody else said, look for a bargain online. There are alot of shops that are starting to sell over their demo fleets right now and they list them for sale on eBay, PinkBike, etc...
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    OP here. I'm a Giant fan so how does the FS Trance 3 sound for my first FS 27.5 ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a 2014 Trance, and really enjoy it. It isn't my regular ride, a HT is, but when I do a race longer than 2-3 hours, or the course/ride is more tech and less flow, the Trance is my go to bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sounds great but make sure to look all around because there are tons of deals on 2016's and if you're willing to look into used, you can save a TON of money. Go over to the classifieds at PinkBike. I saw Trance 3's from a dealers demo fleet in Idaho for $1199 and a few Trance 2 bikes for less than $2000.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Just a flesh wound
    Jake,

I am 53 as well. Ride an FS converted from 26" to 27.5". Love the 27.5 size. I ride New England style. Rocks, roots, drops, ups, everything. The new suspension components and designs are amazing. You will not miss your hardtail. You might think you are going slower, but you will probably be going faster. It's that good. Giant makes a good bike at a great price point. Santa Cruz is solid. No matter which bike you get, make sure it has the right feel for you. You will get used to everything else.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    look for a leftover 2016's at your lbs. if you dont mind a little basic assembly, try a leftover 2016 Commencal v4. you can get a really good "do all" new bike from them at a great price. They have a the 2016 deals on their website. All the players make such good entry level bikes now, you cant really go wrong. .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake01 View Post
    OP here. I'm a Giant fan so how does the FS Trance 3 sound for my first FS 27.5 ?
    Great bike, I couldn't justify the amount for the Trance seeing as it was my first ever serious MB so I bought a Giant Stance, not quite as nice as the Trance but still a great bike. I love it. So much so I probably won't move up unless I break it.

After having my bike for awhile, if I was to do it over again, I would spring for the Trance 2, the upgrade in suspension and the 1x11 I think would be worth it. I have already removed the front derailuer and converted my Stance to 1x

Ultimated Outsider
    FS bikes are over rated, after riding full suspension for over 20 years, when I finally made the switch to 27.5 I went with a hardtail, and to be honest I don't miss the FS bike. The trick is to get steel, carbon or titanium because the material takes out the edge from the ride and stay away from aluminum hardtail because they beat you up. Also tires 2.35 or fatter helps.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Plenty of sweet 27.5 rides around... Maybe you should wait for 26+ to take flight?

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Knolly Warden Carbon....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by taprackbang View Post
    If you're a purist I understand, but once you ride a squishy bike there's no going back. I love my squishy and ride it in full squish mode up and down..and you can always lock 'er down if you want it hard again.
    I love my full suspension, but for some odd reason I ride my Hardtail most of the time

mtbr member
    I am getting older, have bad back and knees, I can't imagine going back to a hard tail of any sort.

mtbr member
    I second grabbing a leftover 2016. Giant Trance, anthem would be cheap then upgrade to one by and dropper over time if the model you get doesn't come with.